PDA

View Full Version : Netflix: not a stock to invest in right now!

Navy Chief
October 25th, 2011, 10:10
Although I AM a Netflix subscriber (both DVD and streaming), I am glad I don't own stock in that company. Their share prices plummeted 36%! The reasons were the recent price hikes in subscription costs, in addition to an attempt to separate the mail-order part of the company from the streaming, and the confusion that caused with customers.

Myself? I have always been pleased with Netflix. Not thrilled about the price hike, but I don't have cable TV (by choice), so it is still a bargain. And I HATE commercials!

NC

OBIO
October 25th, 2011, 12:11
I am a Netflix customer. The "price hike" and the separation of the streaming and the DVD-by-Mail services did not faze me at all. Sixteen dollars a month for unlimited streaming and DVDs by mail....that is still a great entertainment value. I have heard people complaining about it and saying that they will just use their cable service's "movie rental" thingie.....heck, you do four movies a month with the On Demand service through Time Warner and you are already at $16 (or more...I think they are now $6 a movie for the On Demand)....not counting the cost of cable service itself. Deb and I opted to go with streaming only...since we did not really use the DVD By Mail part of Netflix that much. There are more than enough movies and TV shows available through Netflix's unlimited streaming that we don't need the DVD By Mail service...and if a movie comes out that we want to see bad enough, we just go buy the DVD and add it to our movie collection...which is just a tad over 300 DVDs strong at the moment.

Between the cost of our internet connection and Netflix, we pay $62 a month....and we definitely get $2 worth of entertainment and fun out of those two services each and every day.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
October 25th, 2011, 12:16
We were getting one disk at a time plus streaming. Yesterday, I emptied out our DVD queue and switched to streaming only. My wife signed up an account with RedBox, and I'll be doing the same thing within the next day or two.

Emil Frand
October 25th, 2011, 13:24
I have it too, at 9 bucks it was a steal at 16 its a good deal. Though I agree they panicked with the response to the price hike by breaking it into two, Im glad they decided not too. They just need to sit tight for a while.

jhefner
October 25th, 2011, 13:43
They just need to sit tight for a while.

... or borrow a page from Coca-Cola, and release Netflix Classic with the DVD option, and New Netflix with just streaming. :wavey:

-James

TeaSea
October 25th, 2011, 15:19
Actually,

Now might be the time to buy.

Allen
October 25th, 2011, 15:28
Netflix got partly hosed.

Movie studios and television networks want Netflix pay more for content. So Netflix cut most expensive content when the Movie studios and television networks want 2 or 3 times more than was in as it was in the old contract.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
As I watch the World Series I keep seeing a message from Fox that Direct TV has decide to not carry Speed, FX, Nat Geo and other channels from Fox. Fox is trying to raze the price on those channels. Direct TV says that Fox wants 40% more than it is charging the same channels to any other like DISH or Comcast .etc. <o:p></o:p>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV#News_Corporation<o:p></o:p>
I’m glad that Direct TV has the ability to stand up and say no. This is was something Netflix couldn’t do on a large scale.<o:p></o:p>

robert41
October 25th, 2011, 15:36
I have netflix streaming and dvd. Mainly for streaming shows that I want to see right now. Iam a little disappointed that only about 50% of what I want to see is available for streaming. But the dvd mail service has been first rate. I heard on the news tonight, a huge amount of people cancelled their subscriptions over the price hike. Iam thinking about the doing same.

Navy Chief
October 25th, 2011, 15:53
..... Netflix cut most expensive content when the Movie studios and television networks want 2 or 3 times more than was in as it was in the old contract.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

I have noticed an increase in foreign films on Netflix......

Willy
October 25th, 2011, 16:05
We dropped Netflix about 6 months ago. We just weren't using it that much.

There's very few newer movies that I care to see. Most of those, either I just buy the DVD or my daughter does and we borrow them from each other.

Allen
October 25th, 2011, 16:27
I have noticed an increase in foreign films on Netflix......

Nothing but filler too fill the space since they lost content.

Dain Arns
October 25th, 2011, 17:35
I kept the streaming side of Netflix. Cheap entertainment. Been catching up on a lot of TV shows I missed over the years.
I think some of the foreign movies are way better than the standard formula movies Hollywood produces today, anyway.

I've been renting movies lately online through Amazon Instant Video.
Anywhere from $1.99 to $3.99 for 48 hours viewing time, depending on the title.

I know, I know, it's slightly more expensive than RedBox.
But where I live, it's a one RedBox town with a University. :p:

I don't have to wait in line to use the Box.
Plus I don't have to make a trip down and back to get/return a DVD.

So I figure whatever extra I pay for an Amazon rental probably is still less than burning gas to get to and from Wal-Mart for a DVD. ;)
Probably save my car from getting in an accident in the Wal-Mart parking lot as well.

hey_moe
October 26th, 2011, 14:45
We have Netflix but decided for just the download only...lol. They fell because of greed and a crappy CEO. They have been flying high for a long time and had to screw up a good thing. How much money is to much money.

Allen
October 26th, 2011, 15:32
We have Netflix but decided for just the download only...lol. They fell because of greed and a crappy CEO. They have been flying high for a long time and had to screw up a good thing. How much money is to much money.

Its not all Netflix falt. See my first post.

TeaSea
October 26th, 2011, 15:39
I do not have NetFlix.

I do not have time to have NetFlix.

No one I work with has time to have NetFLix.......

I have kids in college.

They have NetFlix.

There's something very wrong here.....

Navy Chief
October 26th, 2011, 17:40

Nothing wrong at all. Some of the members here (myself included) are retired. I do have the time for watching Netflix, and enjoy it immensely!

NC

Astoroth
October 27th, 2011, 00:31
I do not have NetFlix.

I do not have time to have NetFlix.

No one I work with has time to have NetFLix.......

I have kids in college.

They have NetFlix.

I know exactly what you mean! My son is in his second year of college, and always telling me about "this cool show" or "this great movie" he streamed on Netflix...I keep having to remind him that I don't have netflix because all my "spare change" always seems to wind up in his bank account, lol. Now get back to studying!!

Gdavis101
October 27th, 2011, 13:57
I had Netflix up until a couple days ago on a 30 day trial because because our phone company gave out free ROKU players as a promotional thing but I then found out that Dish, which I also have, had streaming through Blockbuster and for 10 bucks a month I would get unlimited streaming on multiple devices and 1 movie at a time in the mail as part of my Dish subscription.. Couldn't pass that up! Dropped Netflix without even thinking about it..

TeaSea
October 27th, 2011, 15:20
When I am retired, I will have Netflix.

If I have any money left.....

kilo delta
February 5th, 2012, 08:52
Just signed up to Netflix streaming service (got a US account after a little bit of jiggery pokery) and have to admit it seems to work flawlessly. Well worth $8/ month.

Naismith
February 5th, 2012, 10:42
When I am retired, I will have Netflix.

If I have any money left.....

I retired and somehow find that I have less free time now than I had when I worked. Moneywise, well that sucks bigtime. But Netflix, I looked into it and I thought the content was rubbish. Is there a difference between the U.S, and Canadian Netfilx? My daughter was encouraging me to get it but when I looked, there were pitifully few movies on there that I wanted to watch, same for TV series etc..

Tom Clayton
February 5th, 2012, 19:26
A follow-up to my post a few months back... We decided to drop Netflix completely. After completing every sci-fi series of any value on their service, there was nothing left that interested me. That, and their wanting 87.5% more money if I'd kept the original service (streaming and one DVD out at a time) left a really bad taste in my mouth. Besides, there's a local video store that gets new releases a full month before Netflix, Redbox, or any other national service, and he usually has all but the very newest in stock whenever we want to see one.

Navy Chief
February 6th, 2012, 10:09
I just increased my DVDs by mail, in addition to the streaming I already had. I quit watching regular or satellite TV over two years ago. Netflix, in my experience, is still a bargain. NC