PDA

View Full Version : netframework 2.0 misery returns

aeromed202
October 22nd, 2011, 06:03
If you can't hear my teeth gnashing you have to be deaf. All was great, for a while. After my HD died about a year ago and had to do a reinstall of XP and I remembered that the WOAI should now work because before, my netframework 2.0 had been corrupted somewhere (apparently a known common problem). So it was awesome to finally use it and get some AI going. That was yesterday. Today when I tried to use rwy12 it didn't like the 2.0 so after some searching, the techies recommended cleaning it up then reinstalling it. So guess what? The 2.0 installation failed to install, just like it did long ago. MS didn't know why then and threw up their hands saying just reinstall XP and that should fix it. Well I'm done with reinstalls, short of fire or 20mm rounds killing my machine. Does anyone know what is going on with this stupid, MS acknowledged issue? I guess it was nice while it lasted.

AndyG43
October 22nd, 2011, 07:16
Just a thought Aeromed, don't know if it will work or not; I had similar issues with Editvoicepack which were eventually solved by installing the latest version of netframework (v 4.0 I think) - might be worth trying, rather than struggling to a 2.0. I think I actually did shoehorn 2.0 on in the end, but I already had EVP working with 4.0.

aeromed202
October 22nd, 2011, 11:16
I hadn't thought of that but now I am VERY leery of uninstalling then reinstalling 4.0 or any other framework. I might nose around to see if a repair option arises but I don't think it will. A workaround that occurred to me was to install FS9 and WOAI on another computer. I could then install things, assuming 2.0 works, then copy files over. It's not so much the tool that I want to work but it's the absurd repeated trouble this failure causes, and seems unable to be simply fixed. As I read more tech comments, I think the trouble may instead be with versions 1.0 or 1.1 as I believe each one might be associated with previous versions. Anyway, 99% of the game is still fantabulous so can't complain for long.

andersel
October 22nd, 2011, 22:02
Hey, Aeromed, I had a similar problem when I had to re-install EVERYTHING aver the Great LA's computer Failure of spring, 2011. I had installed the newest version of net framwotk (v4.0) but EditVoicePack refused to recognize it. The instructions said EVP required v1.1, so I hunted THAT down and installed it, too. After that, no problemo, EVP works as advertised. So right now I have BOTH versions, 1.1 & 4.0, on board. No apparent conflicts and MAIW sceneries in the bargain.

LA

ananda
October 22nd, 2011, 23:24
Each version of Net Framework is completely different, some programs require one and others require others. You need the latest release of each version.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6933/dotnetall.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/dotnetall.jpg/)

George

aeromed202
October 23rd, 2011, 06:02
A year or so ago as I got tossed like a hornet nest from one MS tech (all overseas don't you know) to another, some said what you did and others said no they depend on each other in subtle ways and have to be added to the system in a precise order, and still another said some will not coexist with certain other versions. Upshot, they don't understand their own products or the people who do are locked up in solitary. So what I have had some success with, this time around, is to DL every framework version and service pack as separate items from Filehippo. Then I ran the cleanup tool three times to take them all off including 4.0, even if it said the cleanup was successful I hit the button again. Then I ran CCleaner registry tool which cleaned up hundreds of items, and did often throughout the process. Then by experiment (lots of time here) I successfully installed 3.5, 3.5 sp1, 2.0, 2.0 sp1 in that order, ignoring MS updates clamoring to have me do other important updates. Then I restarted and perused the MS updates it said I needed and all of them related to 2.0 and 3.5 with one 1.1 sp1 which was not put on yet. This time all the 2.0 and 3.5 updates worked with the 1.1 failing, which I expected. Now with another restart I'm getting the same 1.1 update and another concerning 2.0 and 3.5... and those went well too. With luck I'll install 4.0 next (failed earlier lending weight to the dependence theory). All this on an old laptop first, then I'll try mine. It has definitely become a consuming task, going far beyond simply being able to add AI. I really want to figure this out so I can email MS and tell them how to fix their stuff.:icon_lol:

Later that day... Bwa-ha-ha my evil plan seems to be working. So far I have far exceeded the experts at MS, installing 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 with most of the related updates. Multiple wipes with the cleanup tool just before installing the latest incarnations, followed by CCleaner registry cleaning and adopting the sequence 3.5 then 2.0 then 1.1. Once all these are done I expect 4.0 will go in.

expat
October 24th, 2011, 00:28
Have been cursed for the first time in the past few days by the .Net frame error message. Got rid of it by moving FSXSave out of my FSX main folder. Will reload a fresh FSSave at some point but suspect it may be the latest .net frame update not recognizing it. Googling about .net frame, how to determine what version one has, how to fix or update it resulted in some unusually unhelpful or poor explanations of what this is, what it does and how to deal with, including the MS pages. Techhie types were quite rude to those struggling to deal with this problem. One to watch.

aeromed202
October 24th, 2011, 13:33
As of now not too shabby. As I hoped, once 2.0 and 3.5 then 1.1 went in and accepted all their updates, the 4.0 install prompt finally came from windows update so it appears that preparations have been successful. So far no joy with 1.0, I can install that but the updates fail but might try one more clean install. I'm considering abandoning 1.0 because it's so old I don't really know what uses it these days. I can have the related updates taken off the update list so I don't have to look at that yellow shield anymore. Probably give 4.0 a chance tonight and if it works I'll be doing this all over again to rebuilt framework on my regular machine.

2 hrs or so later I should note that the 1.0 download labeled itself as an Adaware file. I don't know why except maybe Lavasoft had a hand in creating net framework. I also suspected that interference with my current Adaware program was connected to the 1.0 failures so I used Revo uninstaller to uninstall Adaware, again using Ccleaner after every stage. This time 1.0 installed and a prompt for 1.0sp3 came up from MS updates. This also installed correctly so I went ahead and installed Framework 4.0, then the related updates from MS updates and everything, I think, is now up-to-date. So where MS said I had no option but to reinstall the XP OS to fix this relatively trivial issue, I may have figured out a step-wise reconstruction option. Tomorrow I'll do the other machine starting with a full removal of all framework versions. I'll make a restore point first but I don't think there is any need because it didn't help at all last time. If it works I'll make a little tutorial. Again, if I really wanted to stop where I was at, I could hide the failing updates that kept reappearing and at least not be bothered by them, but I'm optimistic that perseverance has paid off.

aeromed202
October 25th, 2011, 11:37
Success at last, all versions of framework are in and working. Will cobble together a guide soon.

aeromed202
January 1st, 2012, 12:10
Still holding up. There was some interest in the outcome so if anyone wants the recipe I used I'll PM it to you.

hawkeye52
January 2nd, 2012, 15:57
Aeromed: yes, please!

- H52

Duckie
January 3rd, 2012, 06:19
Hey aeromed202, put me on the list of interested parties. Although I'm not (fingers crossed, knock on wood, do all the Ya-Ya- Sisterhood Hex stuf) having problems at the moment, it's good ot have fix-it stuff (that has worked) in the library. Glad you have it all sorted out now.

Thanks,
Steve