PDA

View Full Version : SIM SKUNK WORKS AV-8B HARRIER II DEVELOPMENT

LUCE1
October 16th, 2011, 09:50
We are pleased and proud to introduce the SIM SKUNK WORKS AV-8B HARRIER II.
The development is now at an advanced stage, we hope to release the model beforeX Mas.
What you see below is a video that shows the model in vertical take off and short landing tests.
Keep in mind that still needs a lot of refinements, but systems and flight dynamics are almost ready.
You already know about the policy of the SIM SKUNKWORKS: all systems must be precisely modeled from the real aircraft, technical manuals in hand:
- VSTOL capability modeled with:
water injection control, wet/dry RR 408 engine (**)
ground effect (**)
LIDS, lift improuvment device system (**)
flap/nozzle schedule control
all togheter make a smooth and real "feel" transition between nozzle sustained and conventional flight.
- SAAHS (stability and attitude holding system) (**) greatly improuves harrier manouverability and prevent "departure"
- HUD display
- MFCD display with VTL, STO and CRUISE mode
- AG/AA radar
- Weapon loading and drop in both single and multiplayer environment. (**)
and much more..
(**) SSW HARRIER unique feature

as in SIM SKUNK WORK policy the model is a FPS friend and still beautiful.
ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=57Ni_LEZXiw

a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=57Ni_LEZXiw)nd some screen shot:

50167 50168 50169 50170

DagR
October 16th, 2011, 10:05
WOW !

cortomalteseit
October 16th, 2011, 11:04
Outstanding work, SSW!!! :applause:
I will not sleep until this aircraft will not be finished, i swear!!! :jump:
Looking forward to the release,
regards

peter12213
October 16th, 2011, 11:52
Looks great can't wait for a good modern harrier!

XLR8
October 16th, 2011, 18:14
This looks good.Freeware?

LUCE1
October 17th, 2011, 01:47
This looks good.Freeware?
cheapest donationware >= 20 €
the package includes:
- AV8-B HARRIER II version 1.0 model with the all futures 1.x updates free of charge.
- original
AV8B-000, flight manual
AV8B-400, performances tables manual
AV8B-500, pocket check list
AV8B-700, functional flight checklist
AV8B tactical manual
AV8B tactical manual pocket guide
- IT550 CAVOUR Italian carrier
- IT551 GARIBALDI Italian carrier (under development)
- LIBG scenery (Grottaglie, Italian Navy onshore base) (under development)
cheers
/SSW

LUCE1
October 17th, 2011, 02:01
We are planning to release a first stage beta version before October end.
At this end we are looking for skilled simmers that are available to test the model.
Beta-testers should have a good skill and a good knowledge on Harrier itself, however we will provide all technical ref needed.
Former/actual pilots, harrier or helicopter pilots are preferred.
Contact SSW at staff@102virtual.org , please no time wasters.
cheers
/SSW

DagR
October 17th, 2011, 03:21
Will the model be a typical MP friendly one or will it be one featuring normal maps/spec maps as well ?

Stickshaker
October 17th, 2011, 05:08
This is great news! A very nice package, with ships and airbase included.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have two questions after having seen the video. First: the HUD does not seem to be collimated; when the pilot moves his/her head, the pitch ladder seems to move relative to the outside world. How will this be in the finished product? Landing in bad weather on a ship not knowing whether the velocity vector actually indicates the spot where you are going to touch down seems a bit dicey to me.<o:p></o:p>
My second question is: will there be the option of a simple startup mode, like what Aerosoft does in the F-16? When you press shift-1 in the F-16, you get a menu with a choice between a ‘cold and dark’ start’ and an ‘on the runway ready to fly’ start. You may think I’m a softie, but sometimes I just want to fly for a few minutes after work, with no hassle. If you could save a flight in which you have started up the plane, that would be a good solution too.<o:p></o:p>

LUCE1
October 17th, 2011, 05:30
Will the model be a typical MP friendly one or will it be one featuring normal maps/spec maps as well ?
"typical MP friendly" does not mean necessarily "ugly", rather means have done a model with a technique that optimize poly number while mantaining an high graphic quality.
To make a beautiful model using more 150000 poly is easy, but these models are definitely not FPS friends even if without maps/spec, unusable into a MP environment with more than 2-3 players.
Harrier external model is less than 50000 poly and is still beautiful as you can see in the pictures above.
Low poly count permits us to mantain maps/spec for both SP and MP, but if we see that FPS suffers(**) in MP we will make as we did with the zipper, two different .mdl: a "SOLO" with maps/spec and all "bell and whistles" and an "UBUNTU" model without maps/specs.

(**) "suffers" means that MP sessions with more than 15 players show a significant FPS drop, such conditions are not acceptable as VAAFSE standard. Just for an example the SSW F-104 S into a 12 players MP session show FPS drop = 0.

LUCE1
October 17th, 2011, 05:41
This is great news! A very nice package, with ships and airbase included.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have two questions after having seen the video. First: the HUD does not seem to be collimated; when the pilot moves his/her head, the pitch ladder seems to move relative to the outside world. How will this be in the finished product? Landing in bad weather on a ship not knowing whether the velocity vector actually indicates the spot where you are going to touch down seems a bit dicey to me.
<o:p></o:p>èMy second question is: will there be the option of a simple startup mode, like what Aerosoft does in the F-16? When you press shift-1 in the F-16, you get a menu with a choice between a ‘cold and dark’ start’ and an ‘on the runway ready to fly’ start. You may think I’m a softie, but sometimes I just want to fly for a few minutes after work, with no hassle. If you could save a flight in which you have started up the plane, that would be a good solution too.<o:p></o:p>
Hi,
HUD in the video is not, but will be collimated and conformed as we did with the zipper.
Harrier start up sequence is really 3 steps simple :
- batt, gen ON
- apu ON
- starter ON
it takes more time to call a popup win and make the choice.
cheers
/SSW

fantumfan2003
October 17th, 2011, 06:20
Very Nice...looking forward to it......

FF

Stickshaker
October 17th, 2011, 07:28
Sounds great, Luce! Thanks for the information.

XLR8
October 17th, 2011, 13:38
cheapest donationware >= 20 €
the package includes:
- AV8-B HARRIER II version 1.0 model with the all futures 1.x updates free of charge.
- original
AV8B-000, flight manual
AV8B-400, performances tables manual
AV8B-500, pocket check list
AV8B-700, functional flight checklist
AV8B tactical manual
AV8B tactical manual pocket guide
- IT550 CAVOUR Italian carrier
- IT551 GARIBALDI Italian carrier (under development)
- LIBG scenery (Grottaglie, Italian Navy onshore base) (under development)
cheers
/SSW

Thanks for the info. Is this donation-ware price per package,monthly,yearly or one time fee.

LUCE1
October 18th, 2011, 04:36
Thanks for the info. Is this donation-ware price per package,monthly,yearly or one time fee.
:icon_lol:
donate once, no other fees.

BTW
taking advantage to say that SSW AV-8B Harrier II has been made to work properly under FSX ACC PACK even if is proven to work with minor flaws also in FSX SP2.

SeanTK
October 18th, 2011, 08:19
It looks great so far, and I'll definitely consider it when it comes out, but I've been wondering about something (and this pertains to a few other addons out there too).

"Spirited"/emotionally enthusiastic members...read the disclaimer at the bottom first. I know what I may be getting into by asking this.)

What's the difference between "donation-ware" and "payware" in the FS world?

Outside of the FS world, "donation-ware" indicates that you get a fully featured/functioning product and can either choose the price to pay (sometimes it's stipulated), or pay nothing at all and still have a full product (hence the term...."donation").

Payware obviously requires a payment of some amount to enable product functionality/usage.

Maybe I'm missing something when it comes to how people in the flightsim community interpret things, but there are a few other aircraft out there classified as donation-ware, but a payment of a certain amount is required to achieve functionality. How is that a "donation"?

Disclaimer: I'm a payware aficionado and have no problem paying for products in this price range. I'm also happy to support our developers, because I realize that this is a niche hobby, and that their ROI is likely very low (Hoping to head off the aggressiveness of some of the more spirited members here).
Not looking to rile things up (despite what some will think), but I've seen some confused newbies on more than one occasion end up being met with an unexpected cost because 3rd party plug-in/distribution terms are not standardized here as they are in most other computing realms.
I would simply rather see something stated as payware when it actually requires a payment to work....so...I'm curious if I'm missing something about this Harrier. Different version for different price ranges or something?

Thank you, and again, I am certainly interested in this addon, and will consider it when it's finished! :)

-Sean

mbmorgan
October 18th, 2011, 10:18
It looks great so far, and I'll definitely consider it when it comes out, but I've been wondering about something (and this pertains to a few other addons out there too).

"Spirited"/emotionally enthusiastic members...read the disclaimer at the bottom first. I know what I may be getting into by asking this.)

Outside of the FS world, "donation-ware" indicates that you get a fully featured/functioning product and can either choose the price to pay (sometimes it's stipulated), or pay nothing at all and still have a full product (hence the term...."donation").

Payware obviously requires a payment of some amount to enable product functionality/usage.

Maybe I'm missing something when it comes to how people in the flightsim community interpret things, but there are a few other aircraft out there classified as donation-ware, but a payment of a certain amount is required to achieve functionality. How is that a "donation"?

Disclaimer: I'm a payware aficionado and have no problem paying for products in this price range. I'm also happy to support our developers, because I realize that this is a niche hobby, and that their ROI is likely very low (Hoping to head off the aggressiveness of some of the more spirited members here).
Not looking to rile things up (despite what some will think), but I've seen some confused newbies on more than one occasion end up being met with an unexpected cost because 3rd party plug-in/distribution terms are not standardized here as they are in most other computing realms.
I would simply rather see something stated as payware when it actually requires a payment to work....so...I'm curious if I'm missing something about this Harrier. Different version for different price ranges or something?

Thank you, and again, I am certainly interested in this addon, and will consider it when it's finished! :)

-Sean

Hi Sean,

I don't work for SSW, nor do I speak for them in any official capacity whatsoever. I do however work closely with them as a beta tester (initially on the F-104 and soon the Harrier) and, like you, it took me a while to figure out the donation ware thing.

It finally dawned on me that it's very much like the way PBS raises funds here in the States. "For a donation of at least $50, you get a coffee cup as a thank you gift" ... "for a donation of at least $100, you get the coffee cup and a DVD as a thank you gift", etc.

In the case of SSW, for a donation of at least 20 € (I'm sure they will gratefully accept more), you get a Harrier v1.0 and all upgrades to the Harrier V1.x series of releases.

I'm guessing it's an Italian tax or business law thing, but either way it's a good deal for folks like us.

Regards,
Mike

LUCE1
October 18th, 2011, 11:17

-Sean

There are few differences but important:
- our organization is no-profit, you donate to support VAAFSE activities, not to pay developers, they work for free; incomes, less expenses, are used to support VAAFSE.
- you receive the model as a gift for your kindness.
- donation is free starting from a minimum, several our users have donate more than the minimum.
- all our software is distributed as OpenSource under GPL license (copy left), it can be copied and/or distributed with the limitations that it must remain free.

Very similar to what mbmorgan says about American no-profit organisation raising funds.
cheers
/mario

XLR8
October 18th, 2011, 13:20
:icon_lol:
donate once, no other fees.

BTW
taking advantage to say that SSW AV-8B Harrier II has been made to work properly under FSX ACC PACK even if is proven to work with minor flaws also in FSX SP2.

Thanks

XLR8
October 18th, 2011, 13:31
Hi Sean,

I don't work for SSW, nor do I speak for them in any official capacity whatsoever. I do however work closely with them as a beta tester (initially on the F-104 and soon the Harrier) and, like you, it took me a while to figure out the donation ware thing.

It finally dawned on me that it's very much like the way PBS raises funds here in the States. "For a donation of at least $50, you get a coffee cup as a thank you gift" ... "for a donation of at least $100, you get the coffee cup and a DVD as a thank you gift", etc.

In the case of SSW, for a donation of at least 20 € (I'm sure they will gratefully accept more), you get a Harrier v1.0 and all upgrades to the Harrier V1.x series of releases.

I'm guessing it's an Italian tax or business law thing, but either way it's a good deal for folks like us.

Regards,
Mike

I have really come to love donationware over payware.Usally the cost.But what your saying makes much sense. I fell for this once(since then I ask around)I paid the donation asked,got the product.Two things happend that I thought was un-fair. 1,When the next product came out (less than 60 days after donation)I was unable to recieve it.2,I tried to re-download the original product about 6 months later and was told a donation was needed .

But again I have had the same thing happen with payway.

LUCE1
October 18th, 2011, 14:09
I have really come to love donationware over payware.Usally the cost.But what your saying makes much sense. I fell for this once(since then I ask around)I paid the donation asked,got the product.Two things happend that I thought was un-fair. 1,When the next product came out (less than 60 days after donation)I was unable to recieve it.2,I tried to re-download the original product about 6 months later and was told a donation was needed .
But again I have had the same thing happen with payway.

The donation ware of the SSW is not so, you can freely download the product, then use it for a short time (we plan to extend it over time) and decide whether or not it is worth making the donation.
In fact, many do so, we have a ratio of 1 to 10 to those who download and those who make the donation.
The model is already complete after downloading, the donation enables the unlimited use of the model and gives the right of access to the support and the add-on.
Hope this clarifies.
cheers.
/SSW

XLR8
October 18th, 2011, 15:05
The donation ware of the SSW is not so, you can freely download the product, then use it for a short time (we plan to extend it over time) and decide whether or not it is worth making the donation.
In fact, many do so, we have a ratio of 1 to 10 to those who download and those who make the donation.
The model is already complete after downloading, the donation enables the unlimited use of the model and gives the right of access to the support and the add-on.
Hope this clarifies.
cheers.
/SSW

Thank you,your very kind to show interest in my questions. Don't get me wrong here.I'm just clarifying how it works. I've never known of SSW until just recently here on SOH.But just to clarify (before I spend almost $30usd).If I donate would I be able to receive say the next aircraft you develop(including the Harrier).

LUCE1
October 19th, 2011, 01:37
Thank you,your very kind to show interest in my questions. Don't get me wrong here.I'm just clarifying how it works. I've never known of SSW until just recently here on SOH.But just to clarify (before I spend almost $30usd). If I donate would I be able to receive say the next aircraft you develop(including the Harrier).
Not exactly, a donation gives you the right to have one model of your choice in our model repository.
For the model of your choice you get the whole package, updates and add-on included.
Actually the repository has only the Aeritalia-Lockheed F-104 S, soon we will distribute McDonnel-Douglas AV-8B Harrier II and Lockheed F-104G both MAP/Consortium.
Next year we are planning to develop and distribute Sykorsky HH-3F, Panavia Tornado IDS, Lockheed T33A, Aermacchi MB-326 and Mikoyan-Gurevich MIG-21 Bis.

cheers
/SSW

Stickshaker
October 19th, 2011, 07:54
Much to look forward to, Luce!