PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Vent

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 06:16
I just spent 3 hours constructing an MFD Bezel in Paint Shop Pro. Intricate bevels with 3D buttons, function labels on each button, indented separations between each button and hilights around the main bevel for the display area. Saving all the way as I went knowing past experience told me sooner or later the program would kick out an error. I was down to adding simple white lines along the top reference area for each button, just two to go and the work was complete. . . . .BAM. . . .script error as I clicked save again. . . . .and everything is gone. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Is it any wonder there are holes in walls and broken windows where computers used to live? It just makes you wanna grab something and break it into little pieces. Damn!!!:rocket:

krazycolin
October 9th, 2011, 06:20
using incremental saves helps solve this one... Sorry to hear about the loss...

Thoe6969
October 9th, 2011, 06:23
I feel your pain.If there wasn't any computers the anger management people wouldn't have anything to do.

mmann
October 9th, 2011, 06:36

+1
The only way any developer should work! The best thing is to treat this disaster as a learning experience; NEVER have only one copy of your work saved.

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 06:40
I did save, every few minutes or so. Every time I completed a few additions to the work I would save, but when that script error hits it trashes your work completely, it doesn't take you back to the last good saved level.

mmann
October 9th, 2011, 06:57
Does Paint Shop Pro not allow you to load in an earlier saved version of your work (before the script error)?

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
October 9th, 2011, 07:02
Is the saved file corrupted? , if not then reopen it to be at the last good save point.

Like was said earlier in the thread , have multiple copies and keep the backups on a different drive or ramdisk, you will need them eventually..

In the last 3 months i have needed to reinstall everything twice , first time after a hard drive failure and again after a hardware and OS upgrade didnt go as planned , using Ramdisk and cloud based file storage allowed reinstalling all dev software and project files , fsx, accel , DSK , Photoshop and all plugins and setting up Windows and the network in less than a day.

I learned the hard way to be ready for complete failure at any moment , its really just a matter of time till the next crash ... be ready instead of being afraid, a far better use of time .

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 07:03
Does Paint Shop Pro not allow you to load in an earlier saved version of your work (before the script error)?
In the past when this has happened (and you have autosave active), after restarting PSP, it would take you back to the last saved position. "Autosave" was not active, I was simply saving as I went along.:banghead:

mmann
October 9th, 2011, 07:14
Unfortunately both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop do not support automatic incremental save, unlike 3ds Max which does. This means that you should use Save As instead of Save and append a number manually with each successive save.

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 07:14
I'm about to begin the second attempt at this project, with autosave on.

mmann
October 9th, 2011, 07:17
Autosave is good, incremental saves are better, but best would be to do both.

N2056
October 9th, 2011, 07:20
Wow! I never realized that option was available in PSP. I just turned it on here. :salute:

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 08:47
Incremental saves (I ended up with 13 of all numbers, lol), plus autosave was turned on. . . .so here's a screen of what I was trying to accomplish the first time around. It's for the PAD Do-328. Wanted to spruce up the VC textures. I'll do the other bezels later today. . . .I need some coffee right now, lol. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/contributions. I've been here before, but every once in a while you let your guard down and that's usually when the worst will happen.

n4gix
October 9th, 2011, 09:05
Ooooh! Nice work! :applause:

Roger
October 9th, 2011, 09:30
What Bill said:ernae:

OleBoy
October 9th, 2011, 09:47
Been there, happened to me several times through the years. I've lost complete templates consisting of more than 150+ layers due to not using the "save as" features. Very irritating. Those particular lost templates never did get redone.

Looking real nice!! Glad you got things sorted out, Ed.

hairyspin
October 9th, 2011, 10:46
Unfortunately both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop do not support automatic incremental save, unlike 3ds Max which does

Which is something I really (really really) miss after Gmax and 3ds Max. Or that little button marked '+' in the Save As... dialogue box to increment the file number - click and File01 is saved as File02; so simple it's brilliant. :jump:

Why Photoshop doesn't is a mystery - Autodesk is owned by Adobe after all, can't developers talk to each other??? :mix-smi: :banghead:

anthony31
October 9th, 2011, 16:43
Isn't that a bitch?

Had a similar thing happen to me last week. Managed to delete about 3 hours work and I was really pissed off. Interesting thing is it took me less than 1 hour to redo it. Just shows that it is a lot easier to redo something when you know how it was done.

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 16:56
Isn't that a bitch?
Had a similar thing happen to me last week. Managed to delete about 3 hours work and I was really pissed off. Interesting thing is it took me less than 1 hour to redo it. Just shows that it is a lot easier to redo something when you know how it was done.
lol, yep, I redid the entire thing in about an hour, lol. You're right though. . .the first time around you spend a lot of time thinking about how to pull of an effect you want and then trying a few different ideas to see which one looks best. The second time around, it's mostly mechanical. You already know how, so just replicating what you did the first time is a lot easier.:salute:

jeansy
October 9th, 2011, 18:07
Sorry to hear I've learnt the hard way with psp as well now I have autosave set at 10mins

me. Just have to find a way to recover my external HD that fried with 700 odd gig on it with all my custom paintkits and custom decals and templates not to mention all my fs paints and downloads

Sounds like Sunday sucked for a few people

falcon409
October 9th, 2011, 18:24
Oh Dang Matt, that sucks. Seems no matter what you do to protect important files, the gremlin finds a way of sneaking into a crack in the armor somehow and screwing things up. Hope you can find some way to recover all of it, but at least as much as you can.