PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Prop advice please!

peter12213
October 8th, 2011, 10:15
Hi guys can anyone reccomend some turboprop liners like the dash8 and that kind of stuff either payware or free, just feel like a change from pulling G's at Mach 2 lol! Needs to have a good VC looking into PDMG models but they seem very complicated!

Thanks in advance!

warchild
October 8th, 2011, 10:39
Well, speaking of PMDG, you have the B-1900 C/D which is not as complicated as it looks, and the J-41, which in my opinion is more troublesome than its worth.
From Flight1 comes the perfectly useable ATR, although that is a wee bit involved.
Miltons Dash-7 remains one of the very best turbo-liners out there.

Just woke up so thats the best i can think of on a moments notice.. Miltons is the only freeware listed. Everything else costs a months salary and your first child..

bstolle
October 8th, 2011, 10:39
The PMDG J41 is simply the best available turboprop in any class with a superb VC....Complicated? yes and no, I'm always to lazy to program the FMC. You can fly without it as well.
Another very high quality turboprop with a very nice VC is the CS C-130
The PMDG 1900 is nice but it's still the old style with jerky instruments

PRB
October 8th, 2011, 10:42
The Aerosoft DHC-6 Twin Otter is great, as long as you don't mind motoring along slowly... :icon_lol:

CG_1976
October 8th, 2011, 10:47
The Iris C27J is another fine Turbo and for Twin Otters the Aerosoft is king. Milton's Dash 7 is the best around for Freeware and a treasure gem.

peter12213
October 8th, 2011, 11:12
I forgot totally about miltons superb dash7 this is great advice guys thanks!

Bone
October 8th, 2011, 13:18
I don't have the afore-mentioned ATR-72, but I thoroughly enjoyed flying real ones back in the 20th century. If it's a quality model, that might be worth getting.

CG_1976
October 8th, 2011, 13:24
I almost forgot Brett Henderson made a FSX Native Saab 340. I think it's over at Simaviation.

Reddog
October 8th, 2011, 13:33
Check out PAD they have a bunch of them all freeware.

Mach3DS
October 8th, 2011, 16:45
Does it have to be a 'Liner? Or just turboprop? I HIGHLY recommend the RealAir B60 duke package. You can get both piston and turboprop version in a bundle now. Not too expensive. Very realistic, and not too complex to fly.

expat
October 9th, 2011, 01:24
Favorite payware: RealAir Duke; Flight1 Pilatus PC-12

Favoriet freeware: AFG Super King Air B300 with FSX mods - fly this one more than any other, it's great.

peter12213
October 9th, 2011, 01:55
Great advise guys thanks alot!

stansdds
October 9th, 2011, 06:37
I enjoy turboprop flying, even though MS flight sims to date do not model turboprops as well as piston engined props or jets. Since you specified turboprop-liners, I presume you are interested in those that would commonly be used in short haul and connecting flight service.

Premier Aircraft Design (PAD) offers several that would fit the bill and they are free. PAD's virtual cockpits are generally nice, functional, but are flat panels with 2D style gauges and switches. That often suits me as it makes modifying the gauge layout and avionics package rather simple. The downside is that night lighting of the VC is only through the cabin light, so no back lighting or spot lighting of gauges and switches with an otherwise dark environment.

Bret Henderson's SAAB 340 is really nice and it has a great virtual cockpit, especially considering it's free.

I'm sure Milton's Dash 7 is great, he only does great work, but it's a four engine aircraft and I only fly singles and twins.

There is also a freeware YS-11 out there. I have it, it's nice, but it is complicated and if you don't follow the instructions to the letter you will never get the engines fired.

Another good freeware twin turboprop can be found at CalClassic, the Convair CV580. This is another one that does require following the instructions for start up and flight, but it's not overly complicated. It does have a very nice virtual cockpit with back lighted gauges.

I do have the PMDG Beech 1900C. It is said that the virtual cockpit of their 1900C is better than that of the 1900D. This is a port over from FS9 and it does have some issues in FSX. Nothing that is a show stopper, but one of the biggest complaints is the horizontally stretched GPS display and comm selector switches that don't always want to work in VC. Still, for the price, it's hard to beat.