PDA

View Full Version : KCFS Evektor SportStar Service Pack 1 released!

Gibbage
October 7th, 2011, 14:49
Just wanted to drop everyone a note to say that we have released SP1 of the Evektor SportStar!

We will notify current owners via E-mail, but they can get the new SP1 by downloading the installer again from the same link in there license E-mail and installing over there current copy. New customers will automatically download the new SP1 after purchase.

SP1 contains a few bug fixes, enhanced cockpit details, and 5 new HD livery's, some designed by members of the forum in the recent livery contest. If your still on the fence about dropping 15$ for this fun little aircraft, take a look at this promotional video I made in FSX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUPzifUxmew

This video was shot using the AMAZING OrbX US 3W5 Concrete Muni and NA Blue PNW to get a good feeling of enjoying FSX "low-n-slow". No other add-on's were used in this video.

Now that SP1 is out, I can now concentrate on bringing the Seabee to life!

Cirrus N210MS
October 7th, 2011, 17:22
nice airplane

:salute:

Anneke
October 8th, 2011, 04:38
huh was that not released a few weeks ago? Is this something new?

Gibbage
October 8th, 2011, 10:02
huh was that not released a few weeks ago? Is this something new?

It was, but I just never got around to making the announcement!

ksheadley
October 1st, 2014, 12:13
Hey Kevin, just so you know, the issues I had with this plane never were resolved by FSD...also, I just redownloaded this from FSD to get the service pack and it still only shows v1....still do not have the key in the ignition visible as in the video above. This is a fun little airplane to fly and it's a shame that FSD doesn't better support issues, no fault of KCFS. Just figured I would give you a heads up on the FSD issue. I patiently await the next KCFS offering.

modelr
October 2nd, 2014, 06:50
I just downloaded mine from FSD and it is still the original 1.0.0.1 from 2010. No SP or update.

EDIT: After installing, I looked at some file dates. There is a newer interior model, dated 1/24/2013, 10 textures as noted in the video, readme dated 9/9/2011 noting SR1 (as opposed to SP1) and a few other things with newer dates. However, mine does not have the key in the ignition either, nor does it seem to have any hotspots/clickspots for the ignition switch. A quick test flight showed excellent handling and frames. Did not try everything in the video, such as the sunscreen, nor the Garmin430, but everything else worked well.

JimmyRFR
October 2nd, 2014, 21:56
I just bought & downloaded this. Thought it looked neat, and it fits my simpit setup right now. Plus, in my quick research, Bernt Stolle did the FDE, and that's a plus. But... perhaps I should of took the last few posts as a red flag?

The full (ten livery) installer makes (at least) one major error; in the model folder, there are two models: KCS_SS1.mdl & KCS_SSI.mdl. Note that one has the number 1 as opposed to the letter 'i'. However, the model.cfg file lists both entries as KCS_SS1.mdl. This results in the simpler VC used for the external model being shown. A key indicator is that the pilot is still visible... well, you're sitting in the same spot. Also, the key isn't visible, not all the switches do stuff, stuff like that.

However, fixing the model.cfg file results in a portion of the VC textures not showing: the dash, floor, parts of the doors, etc. And it's not a mis-named file because other parts of the interior model that use the same texture sheet are textured. The result is that a portion of the VC is transparent.

I can confirm that the small (single livery) installer makes the same errors with the model.cfg, and that the same goes for the update which you can download from the KCFS website. In fact, that update goes one step further in that it puts some updated textures for the gauges in a misnamed texture file, instead of overwriting the original ones. None of them fix the texture issue with the proper interior model.

I'm not sure whether I'm more upset about purchasing this, or wasting the last two hours of my night trying to (unsuccessfully) fix it.

The one strange thing is that ModelConverterX shows all VC textures properly placed. I used it to check to see if something was mislabeled. I dunno. Neat plane, but unless anyone has a fix for it I guess I'll have to see if FSD does refunds.

Portia911
October 4th, 2014, 17:22
Reading this thread piqued my interest as I've had this plane for years but never flown it much. So I re-loaded it into FSX, grabbed the 1.2 update and checked what I now saw - particularly in light of Jimmy's post. I found I too was 'sitting on' the pilot figure - and had a black square where the GNS480 should have been.

So I swapped the two .dds files from the incorrectly spelt 'testure.texture' folder into the texture.texture folder, and then edited the model.cfg as noted. With these changes made, I now have a pilot-free VC with all panel textures appearing as they should (no blank or transparent sections as Jimmy reports) - and I have the elusive (and clickable) ignition key!

Unfortunately, I still have the black square instead of the GNS480, and the KX155A unit has an odd 0. 0. 0. display which no button clicking will change.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

JimmyRFR
October 4th, 2014, 19:37
It looks as if I'm battling two things - one is the issues that the installer creates as per the messed up model.cfg and some textures being misplaced, but the other is that for some reason the copy protection is behind the transparent textures. I've done multiple re-installs now with no luck whatsoever, using either installer from FSD. It refuses to believe that I have a legit copy it seems. Kevin tried to help after I contacted him, but he's asked me to contact FSD, which I shall be doing tonight.

Sigh.

Portia911
October 5th, 2014, 16:40
Hey Jimmy, hope FSD come through with help on your copy protection issue.

i think my GNS480 problem is related to the dll.xml file - I found it referred to in this thread:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?56094-KC-Flight-Shop-s-Evektor-Sport-Star-LSA-released-for-sale!

But the attachment Gibbage posted that seems to contain the necessary edit instruction is no longer linked! :banghead:

If anyone else had this issue and can find the edit instruction (Anneke?) I'd be grateful for your help.

ksheadley
October 5th, 2014, 18:45
I had dealt with FSD on this issue to no avail, the corrupt mdl file wasn't the fault of their system in any way (according to them)...my most recent install is the same and a fresh dl to the hard drive and installed from there so should not be any copy issues, but I have the same issues still.....Changing the .cfg to call the proper model, should not cause missing textures. I have dealt with this on and off for a year....some of FSD planes install just fine, others not so much, and I install add ons the same way every time so it has to be my fault according to FSD not so customer service department.....let us know how they treat you or if they even have a secret handshake fix for this, Kevin made a nice little plane here, but FSD has wrecked it for him.

Gibbage
October 5th, 2014, 22:50
It seems that FSD, after many years of being for sale with no problems(since 2011), have decided to alter the once working product for some unknown reason. Im working with another customer that is having issues with the installer, and we are close to a solution. When and how this solution is released, I don't know. I will try to keep everyone posted. Sorry for the inconvenience!

JimmyRFR
October 6th, 2014, 10:01
I can safely say that Kevin is taking care of my issues and trying to ensure that I have a flyable plane. The support he's providing is very appreciated. As far as support from FSD, it was looking my only option would of been to ask for a refund. That's likely the only comment that needs to be shared by me.

I hope Kevin gets all the issues sorted out. In the meantime, this looks to be a fun little plane to tool around in!

ksheadley
October 6th, 2014, 10:31
It's good to see Kevin involved...idk why FSD is the way they are, but will leave it at that. I do hope something can be figured out because his Seabee is super fun and I believe the sportstar will be too once the issues are fixed. Will wait patiently for a remedy.

Gibbage
October 6th, 2014, 12:38
Thanks for the support! Its this that keeps me in this hobby. I will post MDL files tonight on my FTP to fix the problem, and work with Tim to try and get the files fixed in the installer. I also have other plans in the works to fix the root problem (FSD).

Gibbage
October 6th, 2014, 19:26
Here is the files. BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD, please read.

This is for testing! If you download this, please back-up your files FIRST.

Once your SportStar files are backed up, copy the included files and overwrite the ones in your folder.

www.kcflightshop.com/files/sportstar_test.zip (http://www.kcflightshop.com/files/sportstar_test.zip)

I would REALLY appreciate feedback. Not just on the bugs this model files fix, but ANY bugs you know of in the product. I would like to make a new service pack and include any and all possible fixes.

Portia911
October 7th, 2014, 02:33
Hi Kevin. Well as I said at post #8, I edited the model.cfg as per Jimmy's suggestions, and it actually works better than the 'test' one you've just made available. Neither give me the GNS480 I'm missing (the biggest 'bug' now for me), but what I had at least allowed a cold and dark start up with most everything working as it should.

With this new model folder installed (and files overwritten), it won't start! After the battery, there's no other switch click sounds, no fuel pump sound, the gauge needles don't jerk when you switch the battery on, switching avionics on doesn't bring up the trim LED, and most crucially, turning the key won't start the engine.

However, having resorted to a Shift+E start (which worked first time) and then shutting down again, all the above seemed to 'remember' what they should do and I had sounds, lights and a start when I turned the key. Odd.

Hope this is of some help to you.

ksheadley
October 7th, 2014, 03:55
Hi Kevin, Test mdl files did the trick for the missing textures....quick initial test had all working textures and clickspots and everything seemed in order, Only one issue that I see still is possibly the vertical speed indicator which still doesn't seem to translate the appropriate rate of climb (doing better than 1000 feet per minute but vsi only showing 500 fpm). Will test more later today....Thank you Kevin for this "fix" this makes the plane flyable again.

ksheadley
October 7th, 2014, 06:02
Kevin,

I'm not being too picky I hope...

In further testing, the VSI is off by half, both on climb and descent. Using a stopwatch to time climb rate to 1000 AGL (28J Florida 57 ASL) Fair weather at 60 kias on climbout, I was able to reach 1000 AGL in 55 seconds, while the VSI showed no more than 500 FPM during the climb...Descent was also off by half in that an approach indicating 500 FPM would be much greater.

Flap pitch...the flaps tend to pitch nose down quite a bit...just an observation.

All else seems to be pretty spot on...the stall, both clean and dirty, power on and off is very docile and slow flight characteristics are a treat.

This has definitely a great VFR model allowing slow and easy sightseeing. The fix of the model has finally let me experience the model as you intended it to be.....lots of fun VFR ahead....Thank you again.:jump:

JimmyRFR
October 7th, 2014, 10:06
Hi Kevin. Well as I said at post #8, I edited the model.cfg as per Jimmy's suggestions, and it actually works better than the 'test' one you've just made available. Neither give me the GNS480 I'm missing (the biggest 'bug' now for me), but what I had at least allowed a cold and dark start up with most everything working as it should.

With this new model folder installed (and files overwritten), it won't start! After the battery, there's no other switch click sounds, no fuel pump sound, the gauge needles don't jerk when you switch the battery on, switching avionics on doesn't bring up the trim LED, and most crucially, turning the key won't start the engine.

However, having resorted to a Shift+E start (which worked first time) and then shutting down again, all the above seemed to 'remember' what they should do and I had sounds, lights and a start when I turned the key. Odd.

Hope this is of some help to you.

The test that Kevin made available to me (I'm pretty sure it's the same that he's linked to) already has the correct model.cfg entries.

I did encounter the same issue with the battery and ignition switches, which I reported to him. There's a few bugs there for sure. It wasn't a deal breaker for me though, since I use a Saitek switch panel which replicates those functions in hardware.

The issue you're having with the GPS is likely due to something with the FSD .dll, since I think it's tied to a file called FSDav.dll that resides in the Gauges folder. But I could be wrong of course! Not sure from there, since mine works okay (and has since been very nicely replaced by a GTN750!)

Portia911
October 7th, 2014, 13:44
The test that Kevin made available to me (I'm pretty sure it's the same that he's linked to) already has the correct model.cfg entries.

I did encounter the same issue with the battery and ignition switches, which I reported to him. There's a few bugs there for sure. It wasn't a deal breaker for me though, since I use a Saitek switch panel which replicates those functions in hardware.

The issue you're having with the GPS is likely due to something with the FSD .dll, since I think it's tied to a file called FSDav.dll that resides in the Gauges folder. But I could be wrong of course! Not sure from there, since mine works okay (and has since been very nicely replaced by a GTN750!)

Thanks Jimmy, I'll have a look for that .dll file. Certainly that seemed to be the culprit in the earlier release threads where people were having problems with the GPS. Kevin had posted an edit as an attachment a couple of years back, but the attachment can no longer be accessed. Hope he, or someone else, can re-post here.

JimmyRFR
October 7th, 2014, 18:55
Thanks Jimmy, I'll have a look for that .dll file. Certainly that seemed to be the culprit in the earlier release threads where people were having problems with the GPS. Kevin had posted an edit as an attachment a couple of years back, but the attachment can no longer be accessed. Hope he, or someone else, can re-post here.

Well, I'll be honest, the apparent flat 2D panel where the radios are was an attraction for me, and it didn't disappoint. It's one of a very few planes in my hangar where I can install the GTN 750 into the VC. It's so much better in my opinion than anything else out there, that although the GPS worked for me in this model, I don't miss it.

Gibbage
October 7th, 2014, 19:24
Thanks for the feedback guys! I sent this thread to Chuck to see what we can do to fix things. I hope we can get a SP2 done that will address the remaining issues and release it. Like I said, I want to make sure we find and remove any lingering bugs. Feel free to post them no matter how small. Doesn't mean we can fix everything, but I want to do my best to make sure the product works for everyone the way it should.

Kevin

modelr
October 8th, 2014, 15:46
Kevin,
After downloading your test model, mine seemed to be working fine, except no GPS, even tho it's in the gauges folder. Just read about the .dll file, may try something there. Did not try a cold start, altho I did shut off the engine, and it did restart fine. Fling it was great. Only a 15 min test, so nowhere near complete.

Maury2008
October 8th, 2014, 22:17
I get always the fuel indicator not working, as the old model

Portia911
October 11th, 2014, 13:52

Couldn't find that particular .dll file in my Gauges folder, so I'll have to wait for the SP2.
My GPS issue aside, it is a nice little plane to fly!

Gibbage
October 12th, 2014, 13:34
OK. We have been working hard (WE being mostly Chuck) and here is some of the fixes we plan for SP2.

Removal of the FSD stuff (GPS) and replaced with default GPS500 and radio's. These are user replaceable with 3rd party radio stacks.
Male pilot installed and animated (requested multiple times)
Removed buggy engine sound from FSD.
Make the SportStar compatible with P3D 2.4

We are removing the FSD stuff in order to put the product on Aerosoft for sale, but FSD will get a patch! I have heard in the past some complaints about FSD, so having the option of buying it from Aerosoft may satisfy some new customers. If anyone was holding off on buying the SportStar due to FSD, then youll have a chance to fly the fun little SportStar!

Again, thank you everyone for the feedback. Im glad this was brought to my attention, as this is my HOBBY. As such, I care VERY much for what I put out, and I want to make sure everything is right. Sorry for any inconvenience these bugs gave anyone. I hope to get the patch out in 1-2 weeks, and sales on Aerosoft should start at around the same time.

Till then, here are some video's I shot in a REAL SportStar flying in the Pacific NW. Landing at Anacortis Island for a flour bombing contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6du1vtkG6Ns&list=UU8nHosrLRTcnDu15du0uT9A

Landing at KPAE (Boeing factory) on the main runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsksMDilek&index=8&list=UU8nHosrLRTcnDu15du0uT9A

THIS is why I built the SportStar =) Nothing like real life references.

ksheadley
October 12th, 2014, 13:56
Sounds like a good plan Kevin, I look forward to the SP2 and P3D 2.4 compatibility......with those vids, now I know why the sportstar looked so at home in the PNW:applause:

Gibbage
December 5th, 2014, 19:34
Sorry for the VERY long delay on the SportStar PS2. Tom of FSD has been given the fixes for the FSD SportStar. How he handles that, I don't know. Its really out of my hands at this point in regards to FSD.

On the other hand, I would like to get at least two volenteers to help me test the SportStar in both FSX and P3D 2.4. I need more eyes on things before I release it to Aerosoft for sales. I also plan on having a big sale on Aerosoft once its released.

If you would like to help me test the SportStar SP2 for Aerosoft in FSX and P3D, please PM me here. Hopefully we can get this thing done this weekend.

Anneke
December 6th, 2014, 00:46
PM send Kevin

Portia911
December 6th, 2014, 07:06
PM with you, Kevin.

Gibbage
December 6th, 2014, 10:00
Thanks for the interest, but both slots are filled! Ill have news up shortly once the testing is done.

modelr
December 6th, 2014, 10:36
Looking forward to trying out the updates, Kevin.

Just redownloaded from FSD. Unfortunately, Tom has not updated the files, yet. The download is still from 2013.:sorrow:

ksheadley
January 15th, 2015, 05:12
Looking forward to the updates Kevin, even if it means repurchasing through aerosoft if need be.

falcon409
January 15th, 2015, 05:18
Looking forward to the updates Kevin, even if it means repurchasing through aerosoft if need be.
Surprised this hasn't been released yet. I'm one of those that was testing for Kevin. . .but that finished up well before Christmas I think. . .unless he ran into problems after that.

Maury2008
January 15th, 2015, 09:32
Where can i download this service pack?

modelr
January 15th, 2015, 17:42
I received the update notice, with direct download links, from Tim at FSD on 1-10-15. Direct links were for the short package without extra liveries, or the full installation package.

Thanks Gibbage and team for these updates.
(Sorry, I haven't installed them, yet, so don't know if they work.)

Don

ksheadley
January 15th, 2015, 18:14
For some reason that email hit the spam box, downloading now, see how it goes....thanks Kevin and team

kremin
January 15th, 2015, 21:53
Hello to all,
Yes I got the downloads via email from FSD the other day as well. As I had fiddled around a bit with the test files I decided to download and install the full update. From a couple of very brief flights the aircraft appears to behave quite well. I am not impressed by the new pilot figure - IMHO it's not good at all - I wonder whether it's the only change to the model so that I could revert to the one with the female pilot. Documentation appears to be unchanged. Looking forward to comments from Gibbage on FSD's effort and also on how his own update is progressing.

Happy New Year!

best regards

Rick Canham
South Australia

:australia:

ksheadley
January 16th, 2015, 02:56
Hey Kevin, thanks for the update and your hard work.

I'm not sure what changes you sent to FSD, but I would be curious as to the version Aerosoft will have, I am thinking the two versions will have differences. Let's just say the SeaBee is great and fortunately went through the distribution channels differently.

Gibbage
January 16th, 2015, 20:50
Hey Kevin, thanks for the update and your hard work.

I'm not sure what changes you sent to FSD, but I would be curious as to the version Aerosoft will have, I am thinking the two versions will have differences. Let's just say the SeaBee is great and fortunately went through the distribution channels differently.

The Aerosoft will have the Garmin replaced with a default GPS set, and that's all. Im still trying to work with Aerosoft to get it for sale, but another option may be coming soon! I will let everyone know once everything is final.

mgchrist5
July 30th, 2015, 04:17
The Aerosoft will have the Garmin replaced with a default GPS set, and that's all. Im still trying to work with Aerosoft to get it for sale, but another option may be coming soon! I will let everyone know once everything is final.

Hi Kevin,
Sorry to dredge up an older topic, but was SP2 ever released for the Evektor? FSD currently has the SportStar on sale, and I was contemplating a purchase. Just curious if it would be inclusive of any of the updates mentioned here.

Thanks.