PDA

View Full Version : Modified Planes/How much is TOO much?

Wyld45
September 18th, 2011, 12:17
Anyone thats kept up with the news lately,there has been several airshow accidents with
devastating consequences. One of those,(I believe the P-51) had shorter wings and tail.
I didnt catch where the other show was and type-plane.

As for modification, how much is TOO dangerous?? These airshows have hundreds of people
within a small area and wide open. One wrong move can easily turn into a ballistic missle
killing many on the ground. Is it time to step in with strict limitations?

Salutes to those that lost loved ones in these events.

http://www.google.com/#q=airshow+crash&hl=en&prmd=imvnsu&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=tFJ2TqCyEaKJsQKR4riMBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=6a0efe9e4b2da79c&biw=1024&bih=583

hairyspin
September 18th, 2011, 12:56
The crash at Reno has been covered in the UK too, but Auntie Beeb has been no more accurate than others - Reno (where the modified P51 was lost) is not an airshow, it's an air racing event. The vast majority of ground overflown by the competitors is wide open and empty. The tragedy is that the aircraft lost control close to spectators.

As for tight limitations, the UK at least has very tight regulation for all such events - aircraft operators cannot blow their noses the wrong side of the cockpit or replace an undocumented rivet without the CAA getting heavy. It's a legacy of the Farborough tragedy of the 1950s and I don't think the FAA is any less prescriptive in the US. BTW the recent crash at Duxford resulted in one aircraft damaged, but landed safely and another (a P51 coincidentally) lost in a crash, well away from the crowds. No loss of life, not even any injuries sustained.

But I expect the armchair air traffic controllers will see these as more reason to wave the big stick.

Wyld45
September 18th, 2011, 13:25
I would say a better resolve would probably be to have more "Area-Restriction" where spectators gather,
but even a crash where spectators are not even involved, the "Regulators" wont be satisfied. Even the
loss of one pilot would be too much. Another would be to implement specialty-trained "Flight Coaches"
in the tower and on the ground who could foresee problems in some of these tricky maneuvers
when near airshow crowds.

loverboy1
September 18th, 2011, 13:46
prefer simulators like eto cfs3 .....than sit and be under the wings

NachtPiloten
September 19th, 2011, 05:49
Ok, as a spectator at a racing event you do assume some risk. I have been a drag racing events when engines explode and engine pieces fly into/toward the crowd. My dad was greeted by a connecting rod landing at his feet. We have all seen NASCAR accidents, grand prix, and even baseball accidents too. Around the world horrible things happen at many sporting events. If you do not want to but your self in harms way, don't go. Not to be insenstive but it is a risk for performers and spectors alike.

popsaka
September 19th, 2011, 22:00
Ok, as a spectator at a racing event you do assume some risk. I have been a drag racing events when engines explode and engine pieces fly into/toward the crowd. My dad was greeted by a connecting rod landing at his feet. We have all seen NASCAR accidents, grand prix, and even baseball accidents too. Around the world horrible things happen at many sporting events. If you do not want to but your self in harms way, don't go. Not to be insenstive but it is a risk for performers and spectors alike.

These are my feelings as well. Thanks for saving me typing finger, Ted.

loverboy1
September 20th, 2011, 03:23
im seeing leglsation move in on such , be very interesting how and what they snip and re arrange in upcoming events as such ......

swpierce
September 25th, 2011, 10:24
Anyone thats kept up with the news lately,there has been several airshow accidents with
devastating consequences. One of those,(I believe the P-51) had shorter wings and tail.
I didnt catch where the other show was and type-plane.

As for modification, how much is TOO dangerous??

I don't think that they have determined the cause of the accident yet but it may have more to do with putting extreme stress on a 65 year old airframe than it does with the modifications. The mods may actually provide an opportunity to replace old structure with newer, stronger parts.

hairyspin
September 25th, 2011, 11:30
There's a better informed thread on this at the Newshawks forum:-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?57792-Latest-info-on-the-crash

Link to video footage of the race on page 4 - the crash is not shown, the loss of control is.

swpierce
September 26th, 2011, 09:55
That is an excellent discussion. Thanks.