PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Civil War Progress

erufle
August 18th, 2011, 15:57
I love flying the Spanish Civil War (SCW) in CFS2 because it gives you the opportunity to fly aircraft that were, in my opinion, the best true dogfighters yet were too obsolete to fly in WWII. Yes, I know there are exceptions but I love dog-fighting in those last few biplane fighters that came off the assembly line during the 1930s only to be labelled "for training purposes only". I also know it would be cheating to fly them in WWI because some had over 900hp.

That being the case, a few months ago I started making a new SCW install from scratch. I am aware of five campaigns to use in this install:
Defense of the Republic, Legion Condor, Tinker, Morato, and Stepanov. I have flown them all in the past and cherish each one. If there are any others please let me know.

I am not quite ready to update any of these campaigns and am not sure I ever will be. However, I am trying to put together a few "goodies" that will make flying these campaigns more fun. They also give the simmer, who has not really emerged themselves in the art of navigation, three options to make flying these campaigns, without watching the green line and warping all the time, easier.

First, I am putting all of the airbases in the airbases.dat files, including those from MR's SCW scenery and all of the above named campaigns, into one comprehensive airbases.dat file.

Second, I will copy the contents of this file into a text file, delete everything except the airbase name, latitude, longitude, altitude, and heading. I will also put these in alphabetical order so a pilot can find the airbase he wants easily. When you start the sim and copy and paste these airbases into aircraft/kneeboard/notes you will always have the headings of SCW destinations at your disposal. You can use your compass or punch the longitude and latitude into an older GPS gauge called "Cfsgps."

Finally, I intend to use GPS100A to create a gauge,or gauges, that contains all of the airbases in the above campaigns (and maybe a few other important waypoints needed for strafing and bombing missions).

When completed, would anyone else be interested in these files? If so, I'll upload them after they have been tested.

I will also be testing alternative aircraft for these campaigns to see if I can increase frame rates while improving the looks and flight characteristics of the aircraft involved. But, that's all in the future. Please speak up if you are interested in the SCW or have any ideas.

misson
August 18th, 2011, 16:21
i am interested , especially about if the scenery are good worked.:wavey:

SgtT
August 18th, 2011, 17:22
I would be interested, I do like the aircraft from that time period. Please keep us posted on your progress and thanks in advance.

T.

kdriver
August 18th, 2011, 19:38
I might be able to save you a little bit of time Ed.

A few years ago I went through the Condor Legion and Defence of the Republic campaigns and edited them so as to use either Xavier's or Maskrider's airfields instead of the very basic ones supplied. I only used the supplied ones if no others were available. I also made a consolidated airbase.dat list for Spain.

Where did you get the Tinker, Morato, and Stepanov missions? I'm not aware of those ones.

Kevin

watchdog22
August 18th, 2011, 23:13
Hi Kev, I believe capt Kurt did those campaigns and they were great. I'd love to fly them again with upgraded bases. The other campaigns I once downloaded from the original Simnetwork site before it seemed to go feral. I'm out of town for the moment but I'll check my archives when I get back for you if you like. They were good at the time but I don't know how they shape up today. Newer planes and bases would help.

Seagull V
August 19th, 2011, 01:10
Some of the repaints on my long to-do list include some SCW aircraft, the Junkers Ju 52 group project headed by Rami had some SCW skins done for it as well.

kdriver
August 19th, 2011, 01:23
Hi Watchdog,

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

An update of the SCW is probably overdue.

Finn
August 19th, 2011, 03:54
Maybe we could talk Rami into updating the old Tinker and Morato campaigns? If memory serves me right, Simnetwork stole quite a lot from him without persmission so I think it would only serve to get a little more even stealing those without permission:icon_lol:
Finn

tonybones2112
August 19th, 2011, 05:00
Yes, my friend I would be very interested in anything you have for the SCW.

Tony Bones

delta_lima
August 19th, 2011, 09:35
Why, yes, actually!

Both grandparents fought on the Republican side, so absolutely!

Speak and read Spanish - so if any help needed there, I can help.

dl

Ali Cat
August 19th, 2011, 14:00
The answer is heck yes but first your post reminded me of two pieces of a puzzle I have not thought of in years. Perhaps they will validate your interest in this period.

I used to paint (paintings) and from those days I have many heroes, still. Spanish Civil War – all black and white – that painting. Who? Oh yes – Motherwell – “Elegy to the Spanish Republic”.

And Robert Jordan in the woods and on a desperate mission. Something about the earth moving – something about love? And that old gypsy woman and what she said that struck me hard even in my youth. It was something like “ … that's one – there are only three”. What was it – what novel? Ah yes – Hemingway – “For Whom the Bell Tolls” (set in the Spanish Civil War). And my lit friends tell me my affection for Hemingway is a character flaw.

As for CFS2 anything you can add to this era, I believe would be very very appreciated. I have long had a fantasy campaign where I make up a war just so I can dogfight in the classics prior to WW2. Fascinating project – I'm jealous.

AC

Captain Kurt
August 19th, 2011, 15:46
Hi guys,

Building those campaigns seems like a long time ago - Oh, wait, I guess it was a long time ago.

Not many new planes have come out since then that could be used to replace those I used, but there are a couple.

The Legion Condor Full version already uses Xavier's SCW Airfields 1.0 and Xavier's SCW Airfields Patch 1.1, but I never got around to updating the Defense of the Republic to use Xavier's work.

Kevin, would you mind sharing with me the files from your update of the Defense of the Republic to use Xavier's airfields?

With Xavier's airfields I think my two campaigns would still hold up pretty well. But many of the download links are no longer valid and the sites are gone. I'm not sure everything is still available, though between SOH and Simviation much of it is. So an update would be in order. I still have both completed campaigns loaded, so I have all of the needed files. I just don't have any time right now since I am working on the 354th Fighter Group campaign. :monkies:

As an FYI, the Tinker, Morato, and Stepanov campaigns were all done by Jack Folla, are only a few missions each, and are really basic. The packaging was nice though. You can only get them if you pay to join his website.

erufle
August 20th, 2011, 02:41
It looks like there is plenty of interest! Yep, I read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" it will get you into the spirit of things. I asked Rami if he would be interested in re-doing the campaigns a few months back and, of course, he had many other things on his plate. Tinker, Stepanov and Morato are shorter campaigns and as I recall the only place that has ever made reference to them was the SCW page at Simnetwork. I used to visit that page a lot but I don't think it has been updated in six years and it may not be working.

I think we can cobble together some pretty good campaigns if we had some repaints and the scenery was updated I would love it if kdriver and Captain Kurt would update the major campaigns. I have all three smaller campaigns. I can get you guys a copy if you send me a pm, or anyone else for that matter. We can ask Jack's permission to upload although we may only be allowed to upload them to his site. Maybe it will encourage him to update the site.

The issue of whose airfields we use shouldn't change my work on GPS100A. The airfields will all still be in the same general location and the new gauge should be easy to update.

Let this serve as a calling card to all aircraft repainters that we need updated aircraft from the 1930's up to and including 109's, SB2s, S81s and S82s, hs123s (my fav), stukas, I-16s, Do17s, G23s, ju52s, he51s, Martin Baltimores, I-15s, I-153s, any Potez, ND-52s, Br19s, Storks (I think there is a recent update, not sure), Cr32s, and others. I'll start another thread to ask for help.

Delta_Lima, Yo hablo Espanol um poco pero no comprendo mucho. I could use your help in a big way. I have long been wanting to make a Spanish language radio pack. The resulting product would be that CFS2 pilots will speak Spanish whenever they fly for the Republic or Nationalistas. You could even make all countries speak Spanish if it helps you to enjoy the sim. This requires a little investment in time from you, but it is not at all difficult. Can you loosely translate English into Spanish? There are programs on the internet that can help you with this if you need them. Here is what we do: I supply you with the list of radio calls CFS2 uses and you translate them into Spanish. The translations by no means need to be exact. In fact, it is better if you change them a little to reflect the kind of things these pilots might actually have said. You only need to retain the general meaning. Then, you use your computer's recording device to make individual recordings of each call and e-mail them back to me. I will use a program called "SplitGVR" to put the recordings back into the sim. The trick to making this work well is that you have to be an actor (not necessarily a good one) and act like a real pilot during the SCW. If you are not a good actor perhaps you can find someone that is. Now, I know what all the purists will say, "They probably didn't use radio calls in the SCW." Who cares? It is just for fun and may gain us a few fans in Spanish speaking countries. Delta_Lima, I will send you a personal message with my e-mail address and we can discuss it further.

Ali Cat perhaps you could put together a background package for the UIRES folder!

My question is should we just start by updating "Defense of the Republic"? Captain Kurt, I could put a package together for it or would you rather we just upload repaints, scenery, GPS and other pieces seperately?

Seagull V
August 20th, 2011, 05:02
Repaints:- currently have the He-46 and He-115 being upgraded.

Junkers Ju-52 at (needs a ventral dustbin), could do a couple more variations if there is enough interest:-
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=61&sort=d&page=2&pp=15

Will also have a look at what else is in my library especially for quick upgrades.

Rami
August 20th, 2011, 05:38
Seagull,

Have a look at the SCW planes thread...I dropped a few links in there.

kdriver
August 20th, 2011, 07:58
Hi Captain Kurt,

Here are all of my SCW missions. The DYN files should still be the same as your originals. I changed the airfields and moved parked aircraft over as well. The airfield ID numbers are different so as not to conflict with other airfields with the same numbers in my setup.

erufle
August 20th, 2011, 14:59
Hey Captain Kurt and Kdriver. I just got a pm from Achim who has offered to re-do the Legion Condor bases in the Masked Rider style. What should I tell him?

I certainly don't want to offend anyone. I'm not sure exactly what you guys have in the way of scenery. I just briefly looked at a couple of the updated missions kdriver posted. Anyway, I figure we could get Spain covered quite well if we work together.

I would like to see a single GSL file that covers the bases of all five campaigns, surrounding islands, and the seaplane bases. I am currently pasting together an airbases.dat file that contains all of these airfields. I started with Xavier's bases, added the bases from Defense of the Republic that were not included in Legion Condor, then did the same with the Tinker campaign. I still need to go through the Stepanov and Morato campaigns to see if their are any other bases that should be added. I should have a complete list of these bases along with their locations by next weekend.

Rami
August 20th, 2011, 15:19
Hey Captain Kurt and Kdriver. I just got a pm from Achim who has offered to re-do the Legion Condor bases in the Masked Rider style. What should I tell him?

I certainly don't want to offend anyone. I'm not sure exactly what you guys have in the way of scenery. I just briefly looked at a couple of the updated missions kdriver posted. Anyway, I figure we could get Spain covered quite well if we work together.

I would like to see a single GSL file that covers the bases of all five campaigns, surrounding islands, and the seaplane bases. I am currently pasting together an airbases.dat file that contains all of these airfields. I started with Xavier's bases, added the bases from Defense of the Republic that were not included in Legion Condor, then did the same with the Tinker campaign. I still need to go through the Stepanov and Morato campaigns to see if their are any other bases that should be added. I should have a complete list of these bases along with their locations by next weekend.

Edrufle,

Xavierb's Spanish Civil War bases have withstood the test of time. Unless there are specific ones which you need that are not included, I don't think these require an update.

With regards to your second request, that can be done (I'd say easily, but it does take a little work) with Martin Wright's GSL editor. All you'd have to do for me is provide a listing of the airbase packages, and I can do the consolidating for you.

But if I may...I would like to suggest a person you may not have thought of for SCW airfields. Since many of the bases you need will likely be dirt and/or grass strips, have you considered asking Canion, who did the Kursk airfields? In my humble opinion, they are true "works of art," and they're incredibly difficult to spot. One sneeze and you miss them!

erufle
August 20th, 2011, 15:53
Thanks Rami, I just need a little time to sort it out.

kdriver
August 20th, 2011, 19:41
Concur with Rami Ed - perhaps only burden Achim or anyone else interested in doing airfields not covered by Maskrider and Xavier.

Here is my airbases data list. The numbering is different because it's part of my single list for all of Europe and North Africa.

Captain Kurt
August 21st, 2011, 10:19
Thanks kdriver, I'll load these up and test 'em out.

Rami is right, Xavier's bases are good and don't need replaced. I think a few of the airbases are not covered, though. I will have to double check that. Many of the bases were in fact grass strips and rudimentary in nature.

Erufele - thanks, I already have all 3 campaigns. If Rami updated them, by the time he was satisfied with them they would be so different that he would not need permission to upload them (unless he kept all of the original graphics files for the read me section -easily replaced). Folla will probably just "liberate" them anyway and post them to try to sell them by subscriptions to his site.

Juankar already has a really nice UIRES set for SCW that I use. Unless you just wanted to do something new, I don't think his needs improvement. It's still up at Simviation.

IMHO the community custom of requiring separate uploads to install campaigns is a big reason that they become obsolete quickly. Relying on multiple internet sites to stay up so the files are available is not a good policy as the internet is nothing if not dynamic with many sites having a temporary existence. Proper credit for work done is an absolute must, but being able to include required files as part of of a campaign package would not only prolong the life of the campaign, but also the works of many add-on artists whose work otherwise can go missing pretty quickly.

In short, I think an update should be packaged together.

erufle
August 21st, 2011, 13:23
IMHO the community custom of requiring separate uploads to install campaigns is a big reason that they become obsolete quickly. Relying on multiple internet sites to stay up so the files are available is not a good policy as the internet is nothing if not dynamic with many sites having a temporary existence. Proper credit for work done is an absolute must, but being able to include required files as part of of a campaign package would not only prolong the life of the campaign, but also the works of many add-on artists whose work otherwise can go missing pretty quickly.

I agree. Since much of this work is yours I think it is up to you to either package this project or designate somebody else to do it. The language pack is a long-term project and not necessary for the campaigns so I think it can be separate. I would like to finish the GPS gauge and have panels ready for the player's aircraft.

Rami
August 22nd, 2011, 06:34
Thanks kdriver, I'll load these up and test 'em out.

Rami is right, Xavier's bases are good and don't need replaced. I think a few of the airbases are not covered, though. I will have to double check that. Many of the bases were in fact grass strips and rudimentary in nature.

Erufele - thanks, I already have all 3 campaigns. If Rami updated them, by the time he was satisfied with them they would be so different that he would not need permission to upload them (unless he kept all of the original graphics files for the read me section -easily replaced). Folla will probably just "liberate" them anyway and post them to try to sell them by subscriptions to his site.

Juankar already has a really nice UIRES set for SCW that I use. Unless you just wanted to do something new, I don't think his needs improvement. It's still up at Simviation.

Kurt and Edrufle,

To be perfectly honest, I have not given much thought to the Spanish Civil War in CFS2, though it does sound like there is a lot of interest in it. If Captain Kurt worked on the original missions, I can safely assume that they are well-researched and of high quality. Captain Kurt, Jagdflieger, Talon, and Shadow Wolf 07 are well-known and deservingly credited for their research.

I would rather sit this one out. It's not because I don't want to help, but I'd like to see a few new hands working on these missions and putting this project together. I have no problem with consolidating airfields and making things a bit easier for you, but I have other projects I'd like to complete.

I also know with four growing kids and a full school year ahead, I won't be around as much to help.

Cowboy1968
August 22nd, 2011, 06:43
I would love to add SCW to my sims, but I don't even know where to begin to find the planes needed for it!!!

With my eyesight it gets tired to keep digging through databases.

sc7500
August 22nd, 2011, 07:54
...I would love to add SCW to my sims, but I don't even know where to begin to find the planes needed for it!!!... With my eyesight it gets tired to keep digging through databases...

Here's a fast tip for finding almost anything CFS2 online - And I'm NOT being flip or trying to belittle anyone. Sometimes less info USED can be a lot more.

Using your search engine of choice [Googley-Goo, Yah-foo, Bing-Bong, etc] begin your search with "CFS2 SCW" - every entry on the web pertaining to CFS2 AND the SCW will pop up from newest to oldest, and you'll be transfixed for hours at the work out there.....

And, by replacing the RED letters / name with anything else you're searching for, it cuts thru the online crap and distills your search to the essentials. More flight time results, and this technique works in 95% of most search patterns.

[And you guys thought I was just REALLY REALLY Good, huh ? lolol :icon_lol: ]

SC
:kilroy:

PS _ I found a Legacy website archive yesterday that referenced Sylvia's Spanish Armada, but the links to files were dead. This is quite unfortunate - I wish we could contact Piloto Azul and retrieve the bulk of her work....

Cowboy1968
August 22nd, 2011, 17:04
Here's a fast tip for finding almost anything CFS2 online - And I'm NOT being flip or trying to belittle anyone. Sometimes less info USED can be a lot more.

Using your search engine of choice [Googley-Goo, Yah-foo, Bing-Bong, etc] begin your search with "CFS2 SCW" - every entry on the web pertaining to CFS2 AND the SCW will pop up from newest to oldest, and you'll be transfixed for hours at the work out there.....

And, by replacing the RED letters / name with anything else you're searching for, it cuts thru the online crap and distills your search to the essentials. More flight time results, and this technique works in 95% of most search patterns.

[And you guys thought I was just REALLY REALLY Good, huh ? lolol :icon_lol: ]

SC

PS _ I found a Legacy website archive yesterday that referenced Sylvia's Spanish Armada, but the links to files were dead. This is quite unfortunate - I wish we could contact Piloto Azul and retrieve the bulk of her work....

That is the problem, when you have only one eye and that vision in that one eye is only 40 percent your eye tends to give out long before you are through sifting through everything.

Captain Kurt
August 22nd, 2011, 19:26
Actually a lot of her work is here at SOH, though unfortunately not near all. She used voodoo5000 as her handle at SOH. Many of her SCW planes are in the archive as packages rather than posted individually. Look for pack_nationalista and pack_FAR and individually the He-59 and Polikarpov I-15.

XavierB collaborated with her a lot and you can find her RZ Natache, and Polikarpov I-16 models (unfortunately repainted as Russian for the Nomonhan campaign) and all of her 1930s Russian tanks and vehicles.

I think there used to be a pack of her SCW vehicles here too but I can't find it now, so maybe I am not remembering it correctly.

gavinc
August 23rd, 2011, 00:05
I think there used to be a pack of her SCW vehicles here too but I can't find it now, so maybe I am not remembering it correctly.

There is a pack, in my archives it is called byv_1_SCW.zip, it is isn't at the outhouse I can upload it.

it contains the BA-6 (an armoured car), the Bilbao (armoured car), BT-5 (tank), Fiat truck, CB_FAI (armoured car), CV (tank), FA1 (armoured car), Krupp truck, Lancia (armoured car), Negrillo (tank), R17 (tank), T-26 (tank), Trubia (tank), UNL (armoured car)

Gavin

Captain Kurt
August 23rd, 2011, 08:02
Gavin,

Please do. I think it must have been a victim of the hacker attack as I'm almost sure it was here before, along with the two aircraft packages.

sc7500
August 23rd, 2011, 09:42
In the interest of file preservation, I visited Sylvia's VooDoo5000 Archive and grabbed them all.

The following files are 404 AWOL - can anyone fill the gaps ??

Ju87 Stuka AI - stuka.zip (1.59 Meg)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upgrade damage texture Boomerang - upgradedamagetexture_boomerang.zip (494.89 Kb)
----------------------------------------------------------------
CA-13 Boomerang Mk II Version2 - silvia_Boomerang_MkII_v2.zip (3.79 Meg)
-------------------------------------------------------
silvia_glad_finl - silvia_glad_finl.zip (797.39 Kb)

Thanks in Advance ! :salute:
SC

UncleTgt
August 23rd, 2011, 12:03
SC7500

is in CFS 2 Aircraft/ other:173go1:

I have the damage texture & will upload

Rami
August 23rd, 2011, 13:02
In the interest of file preservation, I visited Sylvia's VooDoo5000 Archive and grabbed them all.

The following files are 404 AWOL - can anyone fill the gaps ??

Ju87 Stuka AI - stuka.zip (1.59 Meg)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upgrade damage texture Boomerang - upgradedamagetexture_boomerang.zip (494.89 Kb)
----------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
silvia_glad_finl - silvia_glad_finl.zip (797.39 Kb)

Thanks in Advance ! :salute:
SC

SC7500,

CA-13 Boomerang Mk II Version2 - silvia_Boomerang_MkII_v2.zip (3.79 Meg): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=55&id=1136

Upgrade damage texture Boomerang - upgradedamagetexture_boomerang.zip (494.89 Kb): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=61&id=1835

The other two are indeed AWOL.

sc7500
August 23rd, 2011, 13:57
Thank You, Rami ! :salute:

gavinc
August 24th, 2011, 07:07
SC7500,

CA-13 Boomerang Mk II Version2 - silvia_Boomerang_MkII_v2.zip (3.79 Meg): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=55&id=1136

Upgrade damage texture Boomerang - upgradedamagetexture_boomerang.zip (494.89 Kb): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=61&id=1835

The other two are indeed AWOL.

I may have the sneaky buggers, I am on the road but can check my home archive when back tomorrow. I am almost positive that I have her Stuka, and I bought her Gladiator package so I may have the Finland Gladiator as well (assuming it was released as freeware and not part of the payware package).

Gavin

gavinc
August 25th, 2011, 11:11
So I am back home and I have a Stuka from Silvia. The zip file is called Silvia-stuka_B_trop.zip and it is 1.65 Mb. Do you think that it is the same Stuka that is missing. I also have 3 textures for it, one of which is for the SCW, but I don't have any readme or anything that says who created them.

I have the Finland Gladiator. It is a texture for her payware package.

Do you want me to upload them both?

Thanks
Gavin

gavinc
August 25th, 2011, 11:53
Here is a screenshot of a BF-109 escorting a group of Silvia's Ju87-Bs.

Gavin

sc7500
August 25th, 2011, 12:51
...The zip file is called Silvia-stuka_B_trop.zip and it is 1.65 Mb. Do you think that it is the same Stuka that is missing. I also have 3 textures for it, one of which is for the SCW, but I don't have any readme or anything that says who created them... I have the Finland Gladiator. It is a texture for her payware package....

YES Please ! :applause:

I do not have a Stuka_B Trop with that file name, and I'd like to compare it to my other files. AND I can never have enough Glad skins.

Files Away, Gavin !

Thank You :wavey:
SC

tonybones2112
August 25th, 2011, 15:51
YES Please ! :applause: I do not have a Stuka_B Trop with that file name, and I'd like to compare it to my other files. AND I can never have enough Glad skins. Files Away, Gavin ! Thank You :wavey: SC :kilroy: CM Carlson made a JU-87 A I think was in SCW colors. When I first joined this forum Japlance helped me find it at this site: http://www.myzone59.com/combat-flight-simulator/index.php Bones

erufle
August 27th, 2011, 05:49
I just posted this on the "Painters" thread but it bears repeating.

Achim just sent me a ton of planes, ships, and vehicles, many of them Silvia's. I have not unpacked it all yet, but if there is anything missing from the SOH library let me know. There is a good chance it is now in my possession, although, I can't promise anything. But, I also kept a lot of the old SCW files.

We are also making quick progress on the Spanish language radio pack. Mission sent me at lease 1/5 of all the raw wav files needed. He did them while his wife was having a child.

I'm still working on getting all of the airbases listed to determine what needs to go into the GPS gauge and the other navigational tidbits.

I also need to determine if any airbases need to be remade. My guess is very few if any do. I still need to look at the three short campaigns to determine this, but they probably use either Xavier's or Masked Rider's scenery. Masked Rider's scenery just needs to be put into a GSL file. There is some duplication to deal with but I don't know if it affects the campaigns yet. If no one else volunteers I'll try to get around to figuring out if some airbases need to be deleted before combining them into a common GSL file. Even if it doesn't effect the campaigns, combining this scenery will likely require the deletion of some airbases. We need permission to do this as well.

Ali Cat
August 27th, 2011, 08:11
I’m an Idiot!

Erufle, I can’t believe I have let this one slip away. Personally I’m (and there are others) hit and miss on Picasso – but "Guernica"? A genius at his best?

And check this quote out.

"In occupied Paris, a Gestapo officer who had barged his way into Picasso's apartment pointed at a photo of the mural, Guernica, asking: "Did you do that?" "No," Picasso replied, "you did" … "

AC

Edit: Stunning pic gavinc. How did you get that 109 so close? (rhetorical)

erufle
August 27th, 2011, 19:35
I'm all for updating the UIRES if you are volunteering. We have got some great people pitching in on this project. Come join the party!!!!!!
:spain: :wavey: :unitedstates: :wavey:

Jagdflieger
August 28th, 2011, 10:40
Do you guys have the SCW Uris package by Juankar?

They are very nice and would probably be a drop in solution for you.

Look for intfaz_cfs2_scw.zip at the larger sites.

misson
August 28th, 2011, 14:28
We are also making quick progress on the Spanish language radio pack. Mission sent

i send the rest!:salute::salute:

erufle
August 29th, 2011, 17:08
Do you guys have the SCW Uris package by Juankar?

They are very nice and would probably be a drop in solution for you.

Look for intfaz_cfs2_scw.zip at the larger sites.

Oh ya! The first thing I installed.

tobob
August 29th, 2011, 19:28
Here's an interesting site pertaining to aircraft involved...

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/index.html
(http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/index.html)
:salute:
tobob

sc7500
August 29th, 2011, 20:42
...Here's an interesting site pertaining to aircraft involved...

http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/index.html...

Excellent Find, ToBob !! :applause:

Thank you :icon29:
SC

Jagdflieger
August 30th, 2011, 09:08
I lost that link a few computers back. I'm glad to have it again!

Somewhere on a computer is a text file with all of your favorite links. It can be copied and pasted to a new computer so that you don't loose all of your web links. Anyone know where it is at?

Discus
August 30th, 2011, 11:23
In Windows Explorer the Favorites links go under "E":\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Favorites

"Change words between quotes as needed"

Cheers, Discus

nschley
August 30th, 2011, 12:27
Hi all,

here are some further links

http://adar.es/index/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=

http://usuarios.multimania.es/mrval/GCE.HTM

http://usuarios.multimania.es/henrisb/index.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/sanmarca/index.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/sanmarca/unidades.htm

maybe of interest

Nobbi

Jagdflieger
August 30th, 2011, 18:06
Discus,

Found it. Thanks!

Captain Kurt
September 1st, 2011, 13:09
Title says it all - Originally freeware on the vanished Piloto Azul website. A package of 9 Spanish warship models much too nice to be lost.

gius
September 1st, 2011, 13:16
Great Captain Kurt!!!! Many thanks for the stuff....:icon29::icon29::icon29:

Rami
September 1st, 2011, 13:28
Kurt,

This is fantastic, I will approve this immediately.

sc7500
September 1st, 2011, 13:37
What a Great Gift !!!! :wiggle::applause::wiggle::applause:

THANK YOU ! :wavey:
SC

The_Editor
September 1st, 2011, 17:50
Oh yes. :salute:

Hern07
September 1st, 2011, 20:59
Great, too much good stuff and too many good sites have been lost over the years.

skylane
September 2nd, 2011, 01:23
The two SCW campaignsby Cpt Kurt are among my all time favorites!
IŽd love to see these updated with some up to date airplanes!

Ali Cat
September 2nd, 2011, 10:41
The Captain to the rescue! Thanks man.

AC

erufle
September 3rd, 2011, 07:32
I finally unpacked a bunch of files Achim sent to me. Much of it is Silvia's work. I'm looking for someone to play librarian so I can send them these files to be sorted out. I rather imagine there are a few files here that need to be uploaded to the server provided permission is given. I've just got too many irons in the fire to get it sorted out. Send me a PM and your address if you want X-mass to come early.

erufle
September 10th, 2011, 05:04
Just thought I'd let you know about our progress.

1. Achim says he will begin working on updating the existing airfields so they can be used with previously updated mesh. I'm not sure if this is going to be Rhumbaflappy's or not, I just want to be able to use Jean Bomber's Gibralter with it.

2. I finally unpacked all of the SCW aircraft Achim gave me. There are a few that may be hard to get if we don't upload them. Still others appeared to be duplicates of planes I already had yet there was something slightly different like the model file, or a panel was included. I don't know if some of them were premium models or if they had just been tweaked. I would like to hear on the progress of uploading those important few.

3. I am about half-way done with the GPS gauge and plan to finish it this weekend. This may need tweaked later so I am going to try to resist the urge to hurry and get it uploaded. I'll spend some time testing it out myself. If you would like a beta copy please PM me. We always need beta testers.

4. I still haven't flown Kdrivers tweaked SCW missions. That's the problem with starting a project like this, no time to fly.

5. For all of you who like that extra immersion, about 3/4 of the radio calls have now been translated into Spanish (all but gvr02). As soon as I finish the GPS gauge I'll start editing them and putting them into a gvr file. I have a feeling the quality of these calls will be high for three reasons, one is that I actually know a tiny bit of Spanish, and reasons two and three are Delta_Lima and mission. They are doing a great job of acting the part. Be patient in getting this because it takes a LOT of time.

Rami
September 10th, 2011, 15:31
Edrufle,

I communicated with sc7500 earlier this week, and we finalized for the most part an idea of what needs to be uploaded.

sc7500
September 10th, 2011, 16:48
...I communicated with sc7500 earlier this week, and we finalized for the most part an idea of what needs to be uploaded...

As soon as my face stops doing it's paralysis reaction to the med treatments, I should be able to keep my eyes open long enuff to look at the monitor for 30 minutes straight and get the files sorted.

Then I will email Mr Rufle with the corrected list of files, and HE will be uploading them. This is the proper chain of command / ownership.

After all, Ed is the main connection from which these riches flow - I am but a stand-in librarian caught in a web of intrigue, mayhem, and bad medicinals......

Honest !
SC

erufle
September 10th, 2011, 17:03
No problem. I just needed some help last week, was feeling bogged down. So, I thank you for your help my friend.:wavey:

sc7500
September 11th, 2011, 07:09
...No problem. I just needed some help last week, was feeling bogged down. So, I thank you for your help my friend....

I can dance only so fast, then I fall down go BOOM ! lol :sleep:

Stay tuned - I'm using the TENs stimulator on my neck and shoulder right now, and MAY have the left side of my bod in working order for a frontal assault this afternoon. :salute:

SC

kdriver
September 11th, 2011, 07:28
Hi Ed,

I had a look at my SCW missions and found some of them still required amending. I think all the airbase IDs now correspond to the airbase.dat file which I sent you.

Of course you can change the numbers to whatever you like or use the original numbers. I changed them so they didn't conflict with other airfields using the same numbers in my installations.

Silvia's SCW vehicles seem to have different names depending on where and when they were downloaded. Jagdflieger has uploaded the complete collection. I think it would be logical to use the names from this most recent upload. You may find the odd vehicle in these missions with an alternative name.

Kevin

erufle
September 11th, 2011, 12:18
I can dance only so fast, then I fall down go BOOM ! lol :sleep:

Stay tuned - I'm using the TENs stimulator on my neck and shoulder right now, and MAY have the left side of my bod in working order for a frontal assault this afternoon. :salute:

SC

Lo siento. I had my third back surgery May 31st, a triple fusion. Now, suddenly, the pain is back with a vengeance. I cannot walk far. That's why I decided to do a CFS2 project.

Kdriver, I went flying yesterday and was fine for awhile, then the gremlins hit. My problem is that I have been working from a two-year-old laptop that runs CFS2 fine until you put too much stuff into it, then "poof" gremlins everywhere. It cannot find things that I know are installed. No big deal. It won't stop development of this project. The GPS gauge is done, next comes the radio calls and lots of sound editing. Then I'll get back to flying.

The country file and the campaigns all need to agree with each other and I think I'll do that whenever. Number wise I think 18 has to be Republican and 19 Nationalist. These five campaigns use three different sets of numbers and I can see how that might have confused a lot of people.
:confused::confused::confused:

sc7500
September 12th, 2011, 05:31
We have success. :applause:

I managed to get through 'the process' last night and send Erufle a final listing of Sylvia's files that are NOT already contained in the SOH archives ~ rarely seen, beautifully crafted, and Ours. All Ours.

No pressure here - Ed has a Real Life just like the rest of us -so be looking for them to start appearing in the What's New section when he's ready.

Oh - Did I mention that there were about a dozen OTHER SCW aircraft builder's works in the Achim Files just waiting for clearance to "land"....?

Heh Heh Heh... :wavey:
SC

sc7500
September 12th, 2011, 07:45
...I had my third back surgery May 31st, a triple fusion. Now, suddenly, the pain is back with a vengeance. I cannot walk far. That's why I decided to do a CFS2 project..

Considering all the body damage many CFS2 simmers suffer, I'm beginning to wonder if the program should come with a Warning Label....? :icon_lol:

SC

tonybones2112
September 12th, 2011, 15:25
Hey SC, I got the Finn markings for Silvia's Gladiator, anywhere I can get the plane? I don;t think I have it. Hope you're doing better, chiropractor has broken 4 vertebre loose in my back.

Thanks

Bones

sc7500
September 12th, 2011, 15:52
...I got the Finn markings for Silvia's Gladiator, anywhere I can get the plane? I don;t think I have it.. chiropractor has broken 4 vertebrae loose in my back...

Which flavor of Glad, T-Bone ?

They were ALL PayWare at one time...

http://www.oocities.org/coreacfs/cfs2_1.html

[This page is for reference only - Archive w/ dead links....]

And howz the rest of yer poor old worn-out system ? Did them kidneys ever cooperate ?

tonybones2112
September 13th, 2011, 22:28

[This page is for reference only - Archive w/ dead links....]

And howz the rest of yer poor old worn-out system ? Did them kidneys ever cooperate ?

The kidneys are comin' along fine SC. My back is 1000% better, been a firm believer in chiropractics since I was 13. I'm not sure which of Sylvia's Gladys's takes the Finn skin, have to check the skin file, there sure are some fine planes at that site, wish I'd got them before things shut down. Hope you are well, bro.

Bones

gavinc
September 14th, 2011, 03:56

They are all still payware. Silvia never released any of her payware products into the public domain, even after she stopped working of flightsim stuff.

Gavin

sc7500
September 14th, 2011, 05:18
...They are all still payware. Silvia never released any of her payware products into the public domain, even after she stopped working of flightsim stuff...

Well ain't THAT a basket of biscuits !

Is there any officially-agreed-upon protocol for contacting Syl and establishing an off-site purchasing location ?

Or perhaps hosting the work with a PayPal [or other safe method] to get this work back into circulation and her properly compensated ?

We're losing too much excellent effort to the ages, folks - we gotta get lost payware back and available before it's gone for good !

SC

Jagdflieger
September 14th, 2011, 09:01
Has anyone been able to get a hold of Sylvia? She's been off the radar scope for so long now that I fear the worst given her health problems of several years ago.

oldwheat
September 14th, 2011, 09:06
Silvia is pretty much 'uncontactable' as far as I have experienced so far. I have tried a number of different approaches without any success. My guess would be that she would be OK with uploading her work but this is merely speculation on my part. Is her CFS2 stuff still available as payware? In our last correspondence, she stated that she was giving up on CFS2 & concentrating on CFS3.

delta_lima
September 16th, 2011, 09:03
Erufle,

I've emailed you the last of my assigned translations-let me know if you need anything else.

DL

Seagull V
September 16th, 2011, 13:51
Edited at user request. - Rami

erufle
September 16th, 2011, 14:10
Erufle,

I've emailed you the last of my assigned translations-let me know if you need anything else.

DL

I think that does it. I'll check my mail to make sure I got the list of planes needing uploading. After that is done I'll start editing and putting the translations into a gvr file.

Seagull V
September 16th, 2011, 14:32
Due to circumstances (health :barf:) I now have some free time available. Am looking at doing a series of repaints for a number of aircraft.

Question is what ones as there are several models of quite a few of the aircraft ?

If anyone has an up-to-date list of what aircraft models will be used in the campaign/s that will be a good starting point.
Was looking at doing say up to 4 different aircraft for each model that I do, unless there is arequirement for up to eight.

Aircraft I was looking at include the following:-
AF_Scrubb_He112-B2_Luftwaffe, ALPHA DH82 Tiger Moth, ALPHA Hawker Fury Mk1, ALPHA Heinkel He115, Bf109b, Caudron_C445_ZG1, Dh89 Dragon Rapide
FI-156C_STORCH_SCW, He-51, He-70, henschel hs123 update, Hs126, Legion Condor He111E Pedro, TAIFUN B1 V1 (Bf-108), Z506B Airone

With a few others depending upon resources and how easy they are to repaint (Mapping can be an issue with some models)
There are also some potential frame rate killers that would look nice in SCW markings - DH-83 Fox Moth, Breda65, He-46.
Some models are hard to repaint the way they have been setup by the modeller - not that I am complaining about the models being provided but it makes
them more time intensive to get a result that I like.

Aircraft that have multiple models but would be happy to do some repaints for if everyone is in agreement about which model to use:-
CR-32, Fiat_G50, I15, I16, POLIKARPOV_RZ_NATACHA, SB2, SM79

Junkers Ju-52, there is an older model with the ventral gun turret underneath, could potentially be tidied up but will need some work, other templates for the Ju-52 project
while similar are different and would require a bit of work to get them to fit - is not a simple change-over.

What is required/needed ??????????????????? :isadizzy:
Also note that my computer set-up is a bit awkward and that I will be working on the models that I get some enjoyment out of. :salute: :wavey:

erufle
September 16th, 2011, 14:57
Due to circumstances (health :barf:) I now have some free time available. Am looking at doing a series of repaints for a number of aircraft.

Question is what ones as there are several models of quite a few of the aircraft ?

If anyone has an up-to-date list of what aircraft models will be used in the campaign/s that will be a good starting point.
Was looking at doing say up to 4 different aircraft for each model that I do, unless there is arequirement for up to eight.

Aircraft I was looking at include the following:-
AF_Scrubb_He112-B2_Luftwaffe, ALPHA DH82 Tiger Moth, ALPHA Hawker Fury Mk1, ALPHA Heinkel He115, Bf109b, Caudron_C445_ZG1, Dh89 Dragon Rapide
FI-156C_STORCH_SCW, He-51, He-70, henschel hs123 update, Hs126, Legion Condor He111E Pedro, TAIFUN B1 V1 (Bf-108), Z506B Airone

With a few others depending upon resources and how easy they are to repaint (Mapping can be an issue with some models)
There are also some potential frame rate killers that would look nice in SCW markings - DH-83 Fox Moth, Breda65, He-46.
Some models are hard to repaint the way they have been setup by the modeller - not that I am complaining about the models being provided but it makes
them more time intensive to get a result that I like.

Aircraft that have multiple models but would be happy to do some repaints for if everyone is in agreement about which model to use:-
CR-32, Fiat_G50, I15, I16, POLIKARPOV_RZ_NATACHA, SB2, SM79

Junkers Ju-52, there is an older model with the ventral gun turret underneath, could potentially be tidied up but will need some work, other templates for the Ju-52 project
while similar are different and would require a bit of work to get them to fit - is not a simple change-over.

What is required/needed ??????????????????? :isadizzy:
Also note that my computer set-up is a bit awkward and that I will be working on the models that I get some enjoyment out of. :salute: :wavey:

Take a look at the uploads that I will be making this coming weekend. There will be many planes, vehicles, and ships that could and should be repainted. These are the machines that were used (or meant to be used) in the original SCW campaigns. That said, I have little experience in deciding which planes are multi-lod, give good frame rates, etc. I was going to test some of them but have little time because of the other pieces of this project I am doing. I would like someone to take on that responsibility and give us some excellent planes to fly. I wish I could give you a straight answer, but what I found about the original Piloto Azul planes was that there did seem to be multiple models of the same plane. But make no mistake, there is plenty of painting to do, damage profiles to tweak, and air files to mess with!

erufle
September 17th, 2011, 03:54
I have uploaded several aircraft identified as Silvia's, and in need of a permanent home, here at the Outhouse. While many of these are already of high quality and ready to use I know that all of you painters and tweakers will have a lot of fun with these aircraft. Among the discussions that need to take place are how appropriate these aircraft would be if used in an updated Spanish Civil War Campaign. Issues such as multilevel of detail and frame rates need to be explored. Some of them might benefit from a new airfile, damage profile, and (do not over-look) aircraft configuration. There are three other aircraft I was given the green light to upload that I do not think are Silvia's. I want to run these by Rami before uploading them.

:guinness::icon29::guinness::icon29:

Jagdflieger
September 17th, 2011, 13:57
Thanks Erufle!

Rami
September 17th, 2011, 14:02
Edrufle,

I approved all of them, and took the liberty of donating some free time to take screen shots of all of them, and added them to the download pages for easier archiving. I also changed the prefix on all of the uploads to "SCW" so that it is very clear what their purpose is.

I've got a few more threads to reply to, then I'll check out your e-mails again.

Rami
September 17th, 2011, 14:08
Good evening,

These aircraft are now uploaded and cataloged with screen shots, I figured I'd sticky this thread to give you some extra exposure for a while.

Seagull V
September 17th, 2011, 19:59
Have downloaded all of the aircraft on the SCW list from here - will start doing the repaints today, have been working out what resources I have so far, of which there is quite a bit on the internet as well.

There are also other aircraft that can be borrowed from CFS1, Fs2000-2002-2004 from either this site or Simviation. Some of the later ones are frame rate killers - so I will see what I can do to make the older models look the part first. Aim is to have a wide selection of updated skins to allow for 4 x different aircraft marking section actions, along with a variety of military & civil aircraft of the period, including some that were ordered but never made it to the battlefield - how about a what if Republican Fokker G-1s & Seversky P35's intecepting a gaggle of Nationalists Ju-88s which were being escorted by Nationalists PZL P-11's & Fiat CR-42's ?

Might even get off my butt and do a campaign myself (about time I learnt).

With some of the aircraft Beta testers may be required - will let people know when I am at that stage. If I can't get them to work then they will be a no-go.

The reference sites of first choice will be:-
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/did.html
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/might.html
http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/didnt.html
http://www.network54.com/Forum/473104/

If anyone has some favourites speak up now !!!!!!!
Thre was a scheme for the Polikarpov Po-2 on one model - but I have found no references to it - anybody have any ideas ?

oldwheat
September 19th, 2011, 08:36
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned or not but the converted I-15 & I-15 bis by A.F Scrub are top notch as player aircraft & have very good FR's on my PC. Actually better than some CFS2 specific models.

kdriver
September 19th, 2011, 09:49
One item which I never found was the introduction movie "inicio.mpg" for the Defence of the Republic campaign. Does anyone have this?

bearcat241
September 20th, 2011, 02:52
The video...

kelticheart
September 20th, 2011, 05:20
Thank you very much Erufle and thank you SOH, for this ongoing effort to preserve anything that was created over the years for CFS2!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

kdriver
September 20th, 2011, 07:28
Thanks a lot Bearcat! :icon29:

bearcat241
September 20th, 2011, 07:57
:salute:...glad to help KD

Wulf190
September 20th, 2011, 19:18
I tried going into the icarus goldsite and I get a huge department of justice logo that says anti-piracy warning. Whats up with that?

Seagull V
September 20th, 2011, 19:35
Hello Wulf

Links I posted have now got that logo on them, yet the Google search I have done takes me to the sites.
If the powers that be here at the site have any concerns I am more than happy for them to remove those links. (Rami or Moderators ?)

May well be a case of someone having aquired a model/models for other purposes - your guess is as good as mine.
Some of the CFS2 models appear to be similar to Silvias items but I have no details.

Regards, Seagull V :wavey:

Rami
September 20th, 2011, 20:04
I tried going into the icarus goldsite and I get a huge department of justice logo that says anti-piracy warning. Whats up with that?

Wulf190,

It's strange, I tried a Google search tonight, and was able to access the website without a problem. Here is the link I used...

http://www.google.com/search?q=IcarusGold&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Seagull V
September 21st, 2011, 08:48
Hello Rami & Wulf and any others,

Logos are still attached to the Icarus Gold links - while Googling works someone has still attached the Logos to those links.

Regards, Seagull V

N2056
September 21st, 2011, 10:14
He set up his site so that any redirect (link) from SOH gets that page. I guess he changed it as for a long time it was a "Not Welcome" mat! :icon_lol:
He got mad at us several months ago and started doing that. You can still get to his page like the others are doing.

erufle
September 23rd, 2011, 14:00
1. I discussed the possibility of taking Maskrider's, Xavier's, and Jean Bomber's Gibralter and putting them on a common mesh with Achim. The most likely mesh would be Rhumba's. Then, we need a common texture. I need to pm Jean Bomber and discuss the compatibility of his Gibralter mesh with Rhumbas.

2. I hope to start putting translated radio calls into gvr files Saturday.

A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS PROJECT!!!

:medals::guinness::medals::guinness:

Seagull V
October 13th, 2011, 08:01
Spreadsheet for the different aircraft nearly done.

This is a list of aircraft that served, may have served, did not serve in the SCW and the CFS2 aircraft available for it.
Will be released as a Beta version as it is definately not complete - am using it to work out what models to re-skin.

Hopefully any other repainters will also be able to add their 2 dollars worth - everyone else will be able to use it as a source file on what aircraft to get.

Have also included a second sheet with a number of the other aircraft listed so those doing a China-Japan, Finland-Russia, Italians in North Africa or
any of the South American events can also use it as a source file.

Once completed we will be able to do a Rami style guide installation notes.

Regards, Seagull V

PS Repaints on the way !!!!!!!!! :salute:

erufle
October 15th, 2011, 15:27
Spreadsheet for the different aircraft nearly done.
- am using it to work out what models to re-skin.

My humble request is that people take a look at the campaigns "Legion Condor" and "Defense of the Republic" by Captain Kurt as well as the three short campaigns by Jack Folla (PM me with an addy if ya can't find 'em). These campaigns probably include the aircraft flown the most by us simmers in the SCW. My favorite is, perhaps, the HE-51 one flies a great deal during "Legion Condor." Also tops on the campaign list would be the Polikarpov I-16 & I-15, Fiat Cr-32, Br-19, ND-52, Bf-109b, Bf-109d, Bf-109e (I don't know which 109s actually flew in the SCW). I say these are tops on the list because these are what the campaigns call for as the player's aircraft. But, I'm not just requesting repaints either.

All of you tweakers out there might want to look at these aircraft and make sure they are optimized for the player. I'm talking about airfiles, dps, payloads, panels, etc (I have a new GPS ready but am waiting for Achim to finish the new bases that can be used with Rhumbaflappy's mesh before I post). There are many versions of some aircraft, for instance, the Polikarpov I-16. All things considered I don't know which would be the best to use in an updated campaign. Sure, someone could slap a new coat of paint on Jack Folla's model, but how are it's flight characteristics compared to the simTECH model? :isadizzy:

Another thing to consider is, if you are like me, and you are tired of getting your butt kicked in your Cr-32, you're gonna wanna upgrade to a Cr-42. Come on admit it. You do it all the time don't ya? So get those similar but better SCW aircraft ready even if they're not in the campaigns.

Seagull V
October 16th, 2011, 13:22
Spreadsheet also has a section for comments, and yes updated airfiles & DPs will be required for a number of the aircraft - some I may do myself, but a bit of extra involvement by the SCW crew will definately help out.

As the spreadsheet will also be a Beta it will allow for all of us to hopefully come to some sort of agreement on what aircraft we will need to upgrade.

There will also be a column which will have a FRAPS FPS score for each of the aircraft models I look at - some give excellent results while some are Frame rate killers.

Regards, Seagull V

oldwheat
November 11th, 2011, 13:27
Does anybuddy happen to have Silvia's Br 20 & Z1007s?

erufle
November 11th, 2011, 14:44
Not that I actually expect you to find them there but I would encourage anybody to have a look through the Simnetwork library to see if there is anything there we might need. I have a hunch the day is not far off when we may lose anything in their library that's not already found here at the Outhouse or SimV.

Just thinking out loud.
:gameoff:

Captain Kurt
November 11th, 2011, 18:37
Oldwheat: Silvia's Br20 was payware and not released as freeware before her website went dark. I have a copy which was a gift to me. I can't post it obviously but if you want it just for yourself, you might PM me.

I was not aware that Silvia did a model of the Alcione though. The only one I know of is by Pierino Primavesi which is available at Simviation http://simviation.com/1/download-file?file=alcione.zip&fileId=31507

Ed: not a good proposal, sorry. A lot of what he has is already here which is where he got it in the first place. However, that which is his original work, payware or not, is his and we could not just take it. IF it is lost when/if his site goes dark it will be too bad but so be it. We can't sink to some other people's level, even if the intention is good. There is enough talent around here to create anything needed anyway.
:wavey:

Rami
November 11th, 2011, 18:41
Does anybuddy happen to have Silvia's Br 20 & Z1007s?

Oldwheat,

The only freeware version of the Fiat Br-20 that I know of is the version by IS4G. The Icarus version is very nice, but it ain't free. :mixedsmi:

erufle
November 12th, 2011, 04:21
. . . we could not just take it. IF it is lost when/if his site goes dark it will be too bad but so be it. We can't sink to some other people's level, even if the intention is good. There is enough talent around here to create anything needed anyway.
:wavey:

I would never suggest just taking it, but if there are good and rare models (free or otherwise) stashed away on any site they should be downloaded to someone's private library for the sake of posterity. I brought it up because of the three short campaigns by Jack Folla that are found on the SCW site hosted by Simnetwork. I first got the campaigns back when they were free. Now they want money, which is fine, and they are entitled to ask for it. But, I may very well want to update them in the not to distant future. If I do, I would be perfectly willing to upload them to the SCW site hosted by Simnetwork if that is my only option. However, I got no answer when I sent a message to Jack's last known address. My only other option is to pay $5.00 to get the privilege of joining a website that, apparently, has not been updated in five years. That being the case, I will likely get no answer to any request I make after paying the $5.
:a1451:

Then there is the issue of upsetting the many artists who frequent the outhouse and have been ripped off by Simnetwork. I think there were probably other artists, years ago, who uploaded to and used Simnetwork with the belief that it was going to be legitimate and adhere to the copyright laws protecting all other artists. Was jack Folla just such an artist? I have never known him and perhaps before I make further attempts to contact him someone should enlighten me. I don't want to infringe upon anybody's rights or make any of my friends here at the Outhouse angry. Nevertheless, I do think our recent attempts at honoring the people who fought and died during the Spanish Civil War by updating and giving these campaigns a common pair of spots on the country.cfg file is worth the effort.

So what do you all think?

erufle
December 20th, 2011, 03:14
While OW seeks to sort out an airfile for his new bird I wanted to let you know I have finished a beta version of the Spanish radio chatter. It has a problem I'm trying to fix however. The problem being it only sounds off on about every other call that the sim makes. This has always been somewhat of a problem with my packages and I think it may be because I try to fill the GVR file with as high a quality recording that will fit. I got to looking at FVB's English recordings and found he did not come close to using up all the space allotted for a recording. So, I am shrinking the size and quality of all the wave files I am putting into the GVR files in hopes of fixing this problem (it will not effect the realism of the calls). I might also be able to get in the directional calls that I have never been able to get to work.

Anyway, I won't be releasing the calls until they work a little better.

Did anybody else see this as a problem with my earlier packages? I am asking because I may consider reworking any that the community sees as problematic. Don't be shy, I can take the criticism.

Jagdflieger
December 20th, 2011, 07:25
I remember reducing the sound quality on some addon sound files for a some missions that I made to about minimum back when hard drive space was more limited. I never could tell much difference between the high end recordings and the lower (smaller size) quality recordings. Radios back in the day didn't have good sound quality anyway and had a lot of static, particularly in the lower frequency bands. The smaller size recordings should be just as realistic sound wise and hopefully more reliable.

miamieagle
December 20th, 2011, 08:03
Iam Interested.

Anything that increases this Sim diversity in Campaign is widely appreciated,

Maybe one of us will make a campaign dedicated to the Japanese Chinese Airwar from 1937 to 1941 one day.

erufle
December 30th, 2011, 02:11
. . . the part where it gives you the bearings of something. For instance "Radar reports bandits in your sector bearing nine zero degrees". This is actually two separate GVR entries: "Radar reports bandits in your sector" and "bearing nine zero degrees". I have never been able to get these two separate calls to fit together without running together. It always comes out like this,"Radar reports blurble blurble garbage zero degrees". So, I have just omitted the "bearing . . . " part by inserting a blank wave file. That way, just about everything else works. So far, the Spanish calls only work about every other call. But I am hoping that by reducing the size of EVERY GVR entry these calls will work together, and none of the calls will be omitted. The sad part is if it does work I will feel compelled to redo the other language packs and that takes A LOT of work. We will see. I hope to test the reduced sized calls today. Maybe it will not help and I have been doing the best job the CFS2 fairies have allowed all along.

Seagull V
December 30th, 2011, 13:13
Hello erufle

Keep up the great work, can be a pain when after all the progress some bugs still exist.

Watch out for those faires, especially if they look like a couple of very large blokes wearing pink tutu's !!!!!!!!

Hope you had a great Christmas and also have a great new-year.

Regards, Seagull V

Milton Shupe
December 31st, 2011, 08:35
Hello Enthusiasts :-)

I would like to donate an Avia 51 to your cause.

The aircraft at this point has no 2D panel but is ready to accept a VC panel if you use that.

The interior is set for passengers so will need to be gutted.

I can trim her down a bit to lower the polys.

Here is an artist rendition of teh paint scheme, also a picture of teh crashed unit (last surviving copy), and a screenshot of what she looks like in civvie clothes.

Are you interested?

Tell me what needs to change in the model and I will do this for you.

Once done, I will pass the model to someone to convert.

What say you?

tobob
December 31st, 2011, 16:30
Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Milton Shupe
December 31st, 2011, 16:42
Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump::jump::jump::jump:

I need guidance in terms of:

Does it need a VC for a panel, or is a 2D panel used?
What do you want the "cabin interior" to look like?

Who wants to do that?
I will provide the gmax source and/or a FS8 or FS9 exported model; your choice.

tobob
January 1st, 2012, 10:25
I need guidance in terms of:

Does it need a VC for a panel, or is a 2D panel used?
What do you want the "cabin interior" to look like?

Who wants to do that?
I will provide the gmax source and/or a FS8 or FS9 exported model; your choice.

Milton,

First I want to thank you for considering your outstanding work for us basement dwellers. Very exciting!

CFS2 is an old sim so poly numbers are always a concern. I personally would like to see a VC though it isn't necessary. Also a multi-LOD model would certainly work more efficiently, particularly when several aircraft are used in a mission.

Now I am no expert on the Spanish Civil War but I would assume the interior would be pretty bare for transporting cargo or troops.

As for the model conversion, I would be willing to take a shot at converting it to CFS2 with the gmax model. I'm wrapping up a project right now and will be available to work on it shortly.

tobob

Milton Shupe
January 1st, 2012, 13:12
Milton,

First I want to thank you for considering your outstanding work for us basement dwellers. Very exciting!

CFS2 is an old sim so poly numbers are always a concern. I personally would like to see a VC though it isn't necessary. Also a multi-LOD model would certainly work more efficiently, particularly when several aircraft are used in a mission.

Now I am no expert on the Spanish Civil War but I would assume the interior would be pretty bare for transporting cargo or troops.

As for the model conversion, I would be willing to take a shot at converting it to CFS2 with the gmax model. I'm wrapping up a project right now and will be available to work on it shortly.

tobob

Hi,

I appreciate your interest and willingness to to do this.

I hope to finish up the 2D panels and VC this week.

If you are a gmax user, I would be happy to pass the full package over to you including the gmax source. And if you feel you can, modify it as you see fit.

The model does not include LOD models; can you do that?

Thanks

tobob
January 1st, 2012, 15:55
If you are a gmax user, I would be happy to pass the full package over to you including the gmax source. And if you feel you can, modify it as you see fit.

The model does not include LOD models; can you do that?

Thanks

Milton,

I could add LOD models in gmax, though that would increase the time to complete it of course. Basically what I would do is use your model as the high LOD then clone it and start consolidating polys and removing the details until I had several models then compile. The bummer is as I remove things and combine vertice I would have to reapply some of the textures.

So when you are ready to pass the package over I can take a look and see if LOD's are possible. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about working with your models and doing them the justice they deserve, so please go easy on me. By the way, I got started modelling planes with gmax after your C162 tutorial. Thank you again!

tobob

Seagull V
January 1st, 2012, 16:10
I can do the SCW skin, let me know where/what if required.

The rest of the repaints I was doing have been on hold until today, on my list of new year resolutions was to complete the SCW skins/project I was doing, then finish some other skins on my list, followed by 3D modelling.

Was hoping to get done last year but health and consequently finances were not the best, hence some time out to do some healthy projects as well as some other projects that kept me thinking positive - although there were some days morale was about -2 on a scale of 0 (lowest) to 10 (best).

Fingers and toes crossed that this year will be a great one for all of us.

Seagull V
January 6th, 2012, 21:33
The tail only has one surface, not an upper and a lower, will do the camo scheme as a wrap around for the tail aft of the red fuselage. Sorry for not being able to have a sky blue under surface but can't be helped with the mapping issue. If anyone knows how to change the mapping so there is an upper/lower please let me know. :isadizzy:
Still got some work to do on the wing ribs in the red surfaces but I am getting there.

erufle
January 7th, 2012, 01:19
Its great to see that things are still growing in this theater. I am going to test out the latest version of Spanish Radio Calls this weekend.:jump:

fde_bressy
January 7th, 2012, 03:19
Nice job. Send it please.I like all those forgotten airplanes, that's changing us from the traditional Fighters/bombers.

FdeB

Seagull V
January 9th, 2012, 13:50
Progress Report - nearly done. A few mapping issues with the camo.

oldwheat
January 9th, 2012, 14:33
I kinda suspect that texture mapping may be tweakable with scasm or perhaps another utility but it would require the efforts of someone more in tune with such things. There are a number of very nice models that unfortunately have the upper & lower tail textures mirrored.

oldwheat
January 10th, 2012, 11:03
I kinda suspect that texture mapping may be tweakable with scasm or perhaps another utility but it would require the efforts of someone more in tune with such things. There are a number of very nice models that unfortunately have the upper & lower tail textures mirrored.

Well it just occurred to me! Of course it is possible, The B24 guy did a whole passel of de-mirrored stock birds & Microshaft is not known for freely distributing FSDS files (or source codes ;) )...

Seagull V
January 10th, 2012, 12:36
Hello Oldwheat and other interested members

If someone wants to adjust the tailplane so that one is upper surface and the other is the lower surface that would be great.

While I have made the tail wrap around camo it would definately look better with skyblue underneath, but will remain unless someone can work out a solution,
have spent a bit more time then I intended in trying to get it to work.

Hopefully will finish & release the skin before the weekend.

Once this one (No.2) is completed will do No.4 which has a dark green/dark brown overspray on a light olive upper surfaces/fuselage, followed by a what if captured scheme.

Then onto the rest which includes the Bf-108, Bf-109, Cant Z-501, Caproni Ca-310, Caudron C.445, DC-2, Fokker F.VIIb, He-46, He-51, He-70, He-111, He-112, He-115, Hs-123, Hs-126, Ju-52, Hawker Fury camo, Dragon Rapide bombers, and quite a few more including more Republicans and aircraft that were ordered but never delivered which appears to have mainly affected the Republicans such as the Avia B.534, Avro Anson, Fokker D-XXI, Fokker G-1, PZL P.11, PZL P.37, and Seversky P.35/2PA.

Unfortunately it's a very big project and there is only so many hours in the day and not all of the aircraft models are repaint friendly which means time spent working out mapping issues, and in some cases not using some models as they have too many issues to resolve. If you are keen and have time please feel free to help out (although not the He-46 which is fairly advanced and is my next project to finish off after the Bulldog).

Also have some other projects (AA guns and vehicles followed by some planes, have some 3D models already - next stage GMAX/FSDS) on my drawing board that I am keen to get into.

Regards, Seagull V

Seagull V
January 13th, 2012, 14:29
Bulldog No.4 commences paint job tonight.

Regards, Seagull V

tobob
January 13th, 2012, 15:10
I can do the SCW skin, let me know where/what if required.

Seagull V,

I may take you up on the offer. I have the model and am currently working on it.

Milton Shupe is sending the uvw templates, though no paint kit yet. :mixedsmi:

tobob

erufle
January 14th, 2012, 04:44
Progress Report - nearly done. A few mapping issues with the camo.

Did I forget to mention WOW!? :applause::applause::applause:

erufle
January 14th, 2012, 04:49
Unfortunately it's a very big project and there is only so many hours in the day and not all of the aircraft models are repaint friendly which means time spent working out mapping issues, and in some cases not using some models as they have too many issues to resolve. If you are keen and have time please feel free to help out

Regards, Seagull V

. . . and the knowledge to help out. :toilet:

erufle
January 14th, 2012, 05:12
Unfortunately, cutting the size of the wave files down to the same size used by FVB in his English Radio Calls did not result in any more of the calls being used by the sim. This was my second try. :confused: I am going to try one more time to improve upon these lesser sized calls. I had a problem getting SplitGVR to playback gvr03 (same as gvr04-gvr07). I will fix these files and see if it helps any. If it does not I will simply release my better quality calls (my first try). While they sound great you will notice that only half of the text messages you see will be heard. That's probably not a terrible thing but I sure would like to figure out how to get them all to work. Maybe its because I'm using SplitGVR on a Windows7 machine. I never did get around to making that attempt to install a second operating system (XP). :rolleyes: Oh well, the work goes on.

Seagull V
January 15th, 2012, 17:27
Hello erufle and other SCW interested members

erufle please keep going with your radio calls, will be great to have them in the SCW Mod for CFS2.

Progress Report Bulldog No.4 - have tried a few variations but am now concentrating on the following, which is my interpretation of other interpretations, as such will be semi-historical but will add another variation to the colour schemes. Hopefully will be avialable about mid-week.

Seagull V
January 17th, 2012, 04:29
Final skin for the SCW Bulldog will be a what if Nationalist captured aircraft - have seen a photo of one supposedly captured but she has had all the fabric removed.

Seagull V
January 18th, 2012, 18:59
Due to some sudden changes in circumstances will be away from SOH for at least a couple of weeks - hopefully it is not a permanent shut down for me.
Was hoping this year would be better than the last one, not worse. Cross those fingers for me.

Regards, Seagull V

tobob
January 20th, 2012, 13:14
Hang in there SV! I hope everything works out the way you want.

tobob

oldwheat
January 24th, 2012, 14:56
I am presently reworking Corrado's SCW version of the SM 79 Spaviero. It has improved texture mapping over his earlier version. The Italian Wings SM 79 is a fantastic model but unfortunately not multi-res & has the effect of turning missions into a slideshow :icon_lol:. I am adding Martin Wright's AI props as the ones on the model don't want to show up in missions.

Jagdflieger
January 25th, 2012, 09:06
Good on you Oldwheat. I'm looking forward to the improved Spaviero.

I used the I4 SM 81 quite a bit in my SCW installation. While not as detailed as the later Mvg3 FS9 conversion, it is a very good aircraft with good frame rates and I think it may have been a more numerous participant on the Iberian Penisula.

oldwheat
January 25th, 2012, 17:16
I've got the Spaviero almost finished. I didn't need to use the MW props after all as good ol' Corrado made the AI version .MDL with that feature as well as breaking parts ( If you are truly into that :mixedsmi:)

erufle
January 28th, 2012, 02:43
I've got three more versions of the Spanish Radio Calls to test today and will probably upload two, one of higher quality that I can only get CFS2 to play about every third call called up by the sim, and another that will hopefully play whenever its suppose to. I decided to do this because a more powerful computer may play the higher quality calls just fine. You will have to test them yourself. Another difference between the two sets is that the higher quality calls will not use calls such as "Little friends, bearing 2-2-5 degrees." This is because "Little friends" and "bearing 2-2-5 degrees" are actually two separate calls and they will run together unless the size of both calls is minimal. On the bright side I did get these duplex calls to work when I use calls that are of minimal size. Anyway, the calls that are of minimal size may sound more realistic. But, I will probably just let the user make the call as to what he/she desires.

There are two problems that kept recurring while using SplitGVR to make these files, both have to do with spn03-spn07 which are all the same. :confused: The first one is when I enter the call for "dead ahead." What happens is all of the calls were "shifted" as though I had entered one too many calls. I worked around this problem by waiting to enter the call for "dead ahead" last and it seems to be fine now. It does trouble me and makes me wonder if any of the calls afterward will work right. They probably will but . . .

The biggest problem is when I enter the call for "Mission completed, return to base." I can continue entering the new calls as long as I don't stop. But if I do stop working at any point after this it will not let me enter anymore calls. SplitGVR tells me there are only 20 calls entered even if I have finished the entire file. Now, this does not necessarily mean the sim will not play subsequent calls, it has in my other packages, but I need to test them to make sure. I have one set of files where I did not enter a new call for "Mission completed, return to base" and it could end up being the one that works the best. If so, the user may have to run the risk of hearing this call in Japanese.

I might also try using FVB's gvi and gvt files to see if he made any modifications to make them work better, but I highly doubt it will make any difference.

I should finish testing this morning and will upload today tomorrow, or next weekend.

Seagull V
February 5th, 2012, 02:40
Back again, survived the relocation so far. Thanks to all the good wishes from everyone - much appreciated :ernae:

Currently working on the Heinkel He-46, will release a few screenies when far enough advanced. Had started work a while ago but needed a break away from it when it did not work out as I wanted - doing some adjusting of what I wanted with what will work and now should get a great result.

erufle
February 5th, 2012, 04:52
Glad you are back Seagull. New planes mean new missions!

I am done with the radio calls. I just need to get a readme and jpg ready and I'll get them uploaded. There will be two versions included in the same zip file. One is of greater clarity than the other, but the lower clarity version works better on my computer and is probably more realistic. This set of calls took more work than any other I have done, because I wanted to get a set that would work on directional calls such as "Little friends, bearing 225." I never could get these paired calls to work in my other packs so I just deleted them. I was able to get these calls to work with the lower clarity version of the Spanish calls some of the time. Try them both and use what works for you. I will be using the lower clarity version because it works better on my 3-year-old HP laptop. Maybe those of you with really high power computers will like the higher clarity version better, but you will eventually notice that CFS2 does not play the radio calls as often as you expect. It could also have something to do with the old campaign missions I tested them on (Defense of the Republic and Legion Condor). I should have put them into a newer campaign, I might have decided earlier that they were OK.

Any old how, the fruits of my labors have produced these two versions so try them out and let me know what you think. Just don't be too harsh because producing gvr files takes a lot of time and patience.