PDA

View Full Version : Bushranger Ned Kelly's remains found after search by investigator

CWOJackson
August 31st, 2011, 16:14
THE remains of notorious bushranger Ned Kelly have been found at the former Melbourne prison, Pentridge.

An exhaustive 20-month search through historical and genetic records has unearthed one of the most colourful chapters in Australian history, and a man who Attorney-General Robert Clark this morning called "one of the most controversial characters" in our national identity.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/bushranger-ned-kellys-remains-found-after-search-by-investigators/story-e6freooo-1226127027069

Dangerousdave26
August 31st, 2011, 16:55
So to save me having to search the internet to read about him who is this bushranger Ned Kelly. I have never heard of him.

CWOJackson
August 31st, 2011, 17:06
He was a famous Australian outlaw. He was wearing that homemade armor in the final shootout with the law.

Taco
August 31st, 2011, 17:15
Question, wasn't there a movie made about him some time ago?

CWOJackson
August 31st, 2011, 17:21
Question, wasn't there a movie made about him some time ago?

Yep, I remember seeing it but don't remember a lot about it.

Here's more info on the real guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_kelly

SPman
August 31st, 2011, 17:29
Question, wasn't there a movie made about him some time ago?There have been a couple. There was one with Mick Jagger made in the early 70's.
He was THE most famous, (in Australia), Australian outlaw, or , Bushranger, as they were known, from the 1800's. He was captured after he and his gang were involved in a shootout with police, as mentioned, wearing his home made armour

Piglet
August 31st, 2011, 17:35
I liked the Jagger movie.
Didn't they simply shoot him in the legs, which had no armor cover?

demorier
August 31st, 2011, 22:21
Yes..they did shoot him in the legs. As far as I know it still hasn't been positively proven they are Ned's remains yet. I think maybe they will have to check the family line with dma or some such thing.

Naismith
August 31st, 2011, 22:31
So to save me having to search the internet to read about him who is this bushranger Ned Kelly. I have never heard of him.

Think Butch Cassidy but with a billabong in his tucker bag.:kilroy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofgud4wLLo&feature=related

wombat666
September 1st, 2011, 00:05
He was a famous Australian outlaw. He was wearing that homemade armor in the final shootout with the law.

The Kellys were an Irish immigrant family, typical of the mid 19th century families that made up a large part of the population.
One might say they were oppressed as much in Australia as they were in Ireland by a heavy handed British administration.
And the Kelly gang were 'Bushrangers', not 'Outlaws', more by circumstance than choice.
:kilroy:

AndyG43
September 1st, 2011, 00:07
Yes..they did shoot him in the legs. As far as I know it still hasn't been positively proven they are Ned's remains yet. I think maybe they will have to check the family line with dma or some such thing.

Not having any of my dna! My grandfather always used to insist we have Kelly family blood, never was sure if he was telling the truth or having a laugh.

Piglet, the Heath Ledger movie is much better, you ought to catch it if you get a chance.

demorier
September 1st, 2011, 01:20
Edit: The original post was right, Ned's skeletal remains have been proved positive id by dna, but his skull is still missing. Kelly was beheaded after his hanging execution, there hasn't been any positive id on any supposed Ned Kelly skull yet.

ramjet
September 1st, 2011, 10:15
:icon_lol: Ned Kelly, bush ranger, flew anything anywhere...oh wait, I think I mixed him up with Ted Kelly, or Mick Jagger, or someone. Sorry, you caught me in a silly state of mind.

cheers, Cal

Emil Frand
September 1st, 2011, 11:43
Ned was Iron Man?

TARPSBird
September 1st, 2011, 13:00
I now have "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" playing in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks Naismith. When I die you're responsible for minding me platypus duck. :icon_lol: