PDA

View Full Version : Installing CFS3 on a different Drive ?

Crusader
August 31st, 2011, 03:33
Is it possible to install CFS3/ETO Expansion on a different drive other than C:\Program Files (x86) ? I'm running Win7/64bit . I had them on another PC(Vista/64bit) a couple of years ago but it was under C:\Program Files (x86) . I Googled it and couldn't come up with a specific answer(Not enough coffee--too early in the morning). I remember having to slowly install the updates(ETO Expan.) and it worked (After correcting a few mistakes:icon_lol:) . I would prefer not to use the C:/ drive . If it can't be done , I'll probably scrap this idea even though I have 122GB left on a partition that C:/ is on . As I remember , I don't believe it actually caused any problems being on C:/ on my old 64bit VISTA pc .

Rich
(retired with too much time on my hands:icon_lol:)

dewoitine
August 31st, 2011, 04:18
Hi Crusader

Yes it is ! I have installed CFS3/ETO, OFF, MAW, etc.. in external driver G:\ :icon_lol:

Cheers

Crusader
August 31st, 2011, 05:40
Hi Crusader

Yes it is ! I have installed CFS3/ETO, OFF, MAW, etc.. in external driver G:\ :icon_lol:

Cheers

Thanks dewoitine ,

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and give it another try ,

Rich

Daiwilletti
August 31st, 2011, 16:23
Hi Crusader,
no problems installing to another drive. It is probably useful to install a small tool called multicfs3.exe into your new install. When you run it, renamed folders are set up under the application data pathway for your new install. However I'm not sure whether the pathway is the same for Windows 7, you may have to set up the folders manually.

I assume multicfs3 just works for Windows XP (where the pathway for user settings is Documents and Settings/username/application data/microsoft/combat flight simulator 3.0). However I stand to be corrected if someone has tried to use it under Windows 7?

The other comment is that using partitions is quite useful for cfs3. One of the tips and tweaks Microsoft recommends is to run cfs3 on a partition that is separate from the location of your page file (virtual memory). Cfs3 runs a bit better if the page file is accessible on a separate partition, presumably because it is quicker/smoother.

http://microsoftgamesinsider.com/cfsinsider/FAQs/TOP10_Tuning_Tips.htm

HTH,
D

Daiwilletti
August 31st, 2011, 16:29
Oops, looks like that link I gave you no longer works. I don't know if the article is available elsewhere.

This is the best I can come up with after a quick search:
http://johnw.customer.netspace.net.au/content/content/news/CFS3Tips.html

D