PDA

View Full Version : Amazing DC-4/C-54 Footage

Moses03
August 28th, 2011, 10:32
The pilot must think he is in a fighter. Wow!

Starts at 0:18 (after Ju 52 flyover).

hrziTee4b2c

Have to admit it's a bit satisfying to see the big propliner pull off these moves.

HouseHobbit
August 28th, 2011, 10:55
WOW!!! That is How to fly!!!
WOW!!!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Moses03
August 28th, 2011, 11:01
I tried to replicate the loop at the end. Managed to pull it off (barely) by overspeeding a little in a steep dive and pulling the yoke back as much as possible. Just got her over the top before stalling out. Could not do it as low to the ground as they did.

ThinkingManNeil
August 28th, 2011, 12:36
The pilot obviously knows the airplane and her capabilities well, but doing that last pull-up towards the crowd perpendicular to the show-line is poor judgement IMHO. Don't know if I'd want to be stunting a plane as old as a C-54 either.

N.

PS. Anybody remember a war movie from the early 70's called the "Thousand Plane Raid" in which they stunted a B-17 something like that?

ThinkingManNeil
August 28th, 2011, 12:44
That Ju-52 reminds of an airshow we had in Hamilton one year and Arrival Day was running 20+ knot headwinds from the south when we heard a Tante Ju call final for Rwy 12R. Between the time someone in our group call visual on the Ju and it touched down you could've made a sandwich and a drink and eaten lunch!

N.

TARPSBird
August 28th, 2011, 12:57
Must be kinda hard to keep your drink from sliding off your tray table during those maneuvers. :icon_lol:

luckydog
August 28th, 2011, 14:28
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

magoo
August 28th, 2011, 15:15
Moses03I tried to replicate the loop at the end.
...Try checking the payload and fuel settings before flight. I'll bet the pilot had a minimum of fuel onboard, probably only the inboard tanks. Certainly the cabin/cargo bay were empty, probably swept and vacuumed.

Lighten her up to the max, I think you'll be able to replicate the video. I thinks the Jens B. Kristensen. DC-4 has a flight model by FSAviator...no? Very good realism, superb physics.

The two engine pass is just amazing...

Still....I wonder where & when he'd practice that routine...(you gotta practice something like that!!)....and how many hours (minutes?) of that handling could the airframe/engines withstand. It doesn't look like he's generating a lot of negative "G", but I gotta wonder about the rolling and the centrifigal forces on the engine mounts, etc....

....What sort of post flight inspection....would you carry a riveter along...?

Moses03
August 28th, 2011, 15:19
...Try checking the payload and fuel settings before flight

Did kick the passengers and cargo off. Had about 400 gallons of fuel.

I didn't vacuum out the cabin though.:p:

magoo
August 28th, 2011, 15:26
LoL...probably need to practice. You can get a 3/4" rivet gun off ebay just for safety/longevity.

It has me wondering what sort of big planes you could do that with...
Lancaster...yes. B-17 Fortress...probably. DC-6....maybe. 649 Connie...probably. 1049...probably not. B-29 Superfortress...maybe. Martin Mars...NO.

But now.....it has me thinking of aerial tankers/water bombers and the forces they operate with.....repleat with full load and fast release....

...Ahhh...the mind races....let's go open the sim....

robert41
August 28th, 2011, 19:12
Impressive. Not the manuvers, but that he is so low to the ground. No doubt highly modified and very good pilots. Nice, easy, gentle manuvers.

OBIO
August 28th, 2011, 19:25
That's how I like to fly the FS9 stock 747. I kick out the passengers, throw the luggage on the ground, send the stewardesses out to get drinks. Dump everything but 3000 pounds of fuel in the central tank. Just me and the co-pilot. It's amazing how close to Mach1.0 the 747 can get, upside down, 500 feet above ground level. And talk about some really thrilling Hammerhead Stalls. Come down in a dive, pull up to a complete vertical climb, full power. Climb climb climb....then slowly pull back on power, back some more.....the 747 slows and slows until her airspeed hit 0. Kick hard left rudder as she begins to slip backward.....she rolls sideways....then you are doing a free fall back toward earth. Shove power forward, pull out of the dive, do a few barrel rolls as you fly under the Gold Gate Bridge.

Now that is FLYING!

OBIO

Astoroth
August 28th, 2011, 19:56
I'd like to see a video of that Tim, hehe! I've been known to land 747's on aircraft carriers, but no aerobatics....

srgalahad
August 29th, 2011, 07:47
Must be kinda hard to keep your drink from sliding off your tray table during those maneuvers. :icon_lol:

Xp2Uc9XvmjY

srgalahad
August 29th, 2011, 08:13
It has me wondering what sort of big planes you could do that with...
Lancaster...yes. B-17 Fortress...probably. DC-6....maybe. 649 Connie...probably. 1049...probably not. B-29 Superfortress...maybe. Martin Mars...NO.

Don't forget, those are essentially low-value, positive G maneuvers, so they aren't exceptionally stressful ( for the aircraft :wiggle:)

Comet/Nimrod.. yes
Concorde.. yes
B-47... yes

Do-228 -- Lo0xuC0oVZM

and for sheer good looks:
ffJ0WX1Xct0

But the C-54... 60 years old and sounding SO nice!