PDA

View Full Version : Tripoli

richcreator
August 24th, 2011, 17:12
The events in Tripoli brings back memories and got me to wondering.
Has this event been registered or depicted in any SOH add-on missions?

On 9 November 1958, British geologists flying over the Libyan Desert spotted an aircraft resting on the sand dunes
approximately 400 statute miles (640 km) south of Benghazi, Libya. A ground party reached the site in March 1959
and discovered the plane to be the Lady Be Good, a B-24D Liberator of the USAAF's 376th Bomb Group (AAF Serial No. 41-24301).
The USAAF bomber had disappeared after a 4 April 1943 high-altitude bombing attack by 25 Liberators from an AAF base at
Sulûq (near Benghazi) against the harbor facilities at Naples, Italy.
All planes but one returned to Allied territory that night—the one missing was the Lady Be Good.
Evidence at the site indicated that the Lady Be Good crew had become lost in the dark on the return from Naples and mistook
the nighttime desert for the Mediterranean Sea. The aircrew had overflown Sulûq southward into the desert. With the B-24's
fuel supply depleted, the nine men aboard had bailed out and disappeared while attempting to walk northward to civilization.
Intensive searches were made for clues as to the fate of the crew to no avail. In 1960, the remains of eight airmen were found,
one near the plane and the other seven far to the north. The body of the ninth crewman was never found. Five had trekked
78 miles (125 km) before perishing, and one had gone 109 miles (175 km). In addition, they had lived eight days rather than
only the two expected of men in the desert with little or no water.
Numerous parts from the Lady Be Good were returned to the U.S. for technical study.

On leaving Turkey in 1956, I spent some time at Whellus AFB in Tripoli where I listened to the radio broadcast of the perfect game pitched by Don Larsen in the world series.

HouseHobbit
August 24th, 2011, 19:52
Yes, the parts from Lady Be Good are on display here in the Air Force museum, I have touched and drooled over them many times in the past..
There was a time at the Air Force museum when all of this wasn't behind barriers, and you could touch everything..
Now this has all changed....Bummer..
I guess when they had to put buckets around everything to catch all the Hobbit drool, they decided to put up barriers..LOL..

richcreator
August 25th, 2011, 14:18
I'll simplify my question.
Is there an add-on mission, probably in MAW or ETO, resembling or reenacting the Lady Be Good flying out of Bengazi against the harbor facilities at Naples?

hairyspin
August 25th, 2011, 14:31
I'll simplify my question.
Is there an add-on mission, probably in MAW or ETO, resembling or reenacting the Lady Be Good flying out of Bengazi against the harbor facilities at Naples?

Not that I'm aware of.

It's thought the Lady Be Good's pilot, who would have been using a radio beacon to find his way back to his Bengazi airfield, overflew the airfield without spotting the needle on the instrument turning through 180 degrees as he did so. He then presumably continued flying the 'wrong end' of the gauge until he realised his mistake. Equally unfortunately, we can't model this in a CFS3 cockpit...

HouseHobbit
August 25th, 2011, 14:37
I do have a set of missions for MAW using B-24's in bombing missions in North Africa, I haven't uploaded any of this..
I could do a "Lady Be Good" mission for the set, I don't think I have a "Lady Be Good" loaded into MAW, for this..
I am tied up right now with real life issues, and it would be a couple of weeks before I could get to this..Let me check to see if i have a "Lady be Good" skin, I don't think I do but I can check..

** Just checked**
Nope, No lady be Good skin for a B-24 D..

richcreator
August 25th, 2011, 16:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Om5zXgkAzs&NR=1