PDA

View Full Version : Hey folks, I need your help!

Rami
August 21st, 2011, 16:13
Good evening, Usually it is you guys who come to me about files and other requests you have, but now I need your help.

I decided to wipe my laptop clean for the coming year...and that in and of itself was not a problem, but I discovered when I got the Vista 64-bit system back on-line that I needed a password to link back to my wireless router. I tried to reset the router, and now both of my computers cannot access the router, so I'm back to one ethernet connection for running two PCs, and I don't know how to get my router and network connections back online!

The password and installation CD I would normally have, because I'm meticulous about that kind of thing, but when my wife went through and did a little housecleaning a couple months back, she told me she accidentally tossed out a piece of paper with "a bunch of numbers on it" and a "CD that Sara (my daughter) broke." It turns out that this was the Netgear installation CD for my WGR614v9 router, and the password for it, to which I have no memory of.

I can't believe that I was this unbelievably dumb, but how to I get myself out of this pickle? Any help would be appreciated here, folks!

Kiwikat
August 21st, 2011, 16:24
I assume you changed the password from the default?

OBIO
August 21st, 2011, 16:25
Rami

Check your PMs....sent you the directions to reset the password to the factory default so that you can get back in and reset things up again.

OBIO

Rami
August 21st, 2011, 16:26
Well,

It does say upon the reset that the username should be "admin" and the password would be "password." The problem is, I have no clue how to even get that far!

I need like a "Netgear for dummies" or something.

OBIO
August 21st, 2011, 16:31
Here's the page you need:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/119/~/configuring-your-netgear-router-for-cable-internet-connection (http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/119/%7E/configuring-your-netgear-router-for-cable-internet-connection)

You fire up your browser, enter a given IP address and that takes you to the set up utility for your NetGear router.

OBIO

Kiwikat
August 21st, 2011, 16:56
If 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 don't work, try routerlogin.net. That seems to work no matter what kind of netgear router you have. I know my old one used 10.0.0.1 instead of the 192.168's.

gigabyte
August 21st, 2011, 17:04
Rami, been there done that got a bunch of tshirts...

To access the router set-up you simply need to be connected to the router via the network cable and open a browser session, then in the address bar enter the default address like this - http://192.168.0.1 (the last 2 octets may vary but this is from the netgear page and should help.

Configuring WPA/WPA2:

Use an Ethernet cable to connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
In a web browser, enter the router's IP address - either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 by default.
When prompted for a Username and Password, enter the default username and password (admin; password) unless you have already changed it. NETGEAR recommends changing the default password to increase the security of your network.

For Steps 4-9, refer to Figure A below.

Select Wireless Settings from the Setup menu in the left-hand navigation bar.
Under Wireless Network, enter your desired network name in the Name (SSID) box.
Under Security Options, select WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].
Under Security Options (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK), enter your desired network password into the Passphrase box.

WRITE DOWN or KEEP NOTE of your network name, security option and passphrase - you will require them to connect wireless computers and devices to your network.

Click Apply to save the settings.

Note:

Once your network is secure, you can further protect your network by restricting access to a set of devices through the Wireless Card Access List (aka,Access Control List (http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13112/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzEzOTc0OTE5L3NpZC9jblV5SDdDaw%3D% 3D)). With the Access Control List, devices that are not on the list are not allowed to connect to your network.

andersel
August 21st, 2011, 22:58
Rami - Alternatively, connect with your ethernet cable and contact the support folks at NETGEAR. They have always helped me out whenever I get things messed up (A regular occurance with my wireless network).

LA

TeaSea
August 22nd, 2011, 05:05
If none of these things work....then I would say your router is malfunctioning. A cold reset to factory settings is accomplished via the reset button. I've reset them all the time. If it doesn't work, then the router is experiencing a fault. You would not neccesarily be aware of the fault since you've had no reason to go into the router. Most people don't after they get them set up.

This does happen. I have a Netgear Router right here on the desk that is experiencing this very issue --my neighbor cannot get into his router, having lost the password. No amount of playing with it has gotten it reset to factory. After spending some time with folks online, I've found that this is actually fairly common.

If you think about it, these things sit in unventilated areas, sucking up dust, overheating, and getting hit with current spikes (sort of like our PCs!).

I'm not saying that this has happened with yours Rami, but if you can't execute a simple hardware reset, I'm inclined to think so.

When you do get your net up, do exactly what gigabyte says and DOCUMENT your network. You're a busy man, there's no way you will be able to remember all the various little settings and passwords to the software, router, PC accounts, Cable Modem, etc.....

We want you teaching kids and flying sims....not fighting routers! :jump:

Rami
August 22nd, 2011, 05:40
Okay folks,

I am happy to say, following taking a fresh look at these instructions this morning, that I am now back in business. I would have done this last night, but I had to suffer through some 140+ Vista 64-bit Windows Updates, including a service pack.

However, one item remains. How do I make the connection secure, so that others can't access it?

Rami
August 22nd, 2011, 05:56
Hello again,

Never mind...I looked at Gigabyte's post again, and realized what I missed...duh. The only boo-boo I had to correct after that was to delete my automatic connections for this network on my laptop so I could reset them and add the password for access.

Problems solved...I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!