PDA

View Full Version : 'F1 Drivers In NASCAR'

Panther_99FS
August 20th, 2011, 18:00
Montoya = Doing quite well considering the overall quality of his team. (All Ganassi drivers since day one have never really been in the hunt for any championship).

Villeneuve = After today's race, not a chance...

Piquet Jr. = Possibly but tainted F1 past still looms over him..

Hakkinen = ?

Max Papis = Doing alright in trucks.

Side notes: Montoya was never an F1 World Champion but both Villeneuve & Hakkinen were. Piquet Jr. never stood out in F1 - neither did Papis...

wombat666
August 21st, 2011, 02:39
Montoya = Doing quite well considering the overall quality of his team. (All Ganassi drivers since day one have never really been in the hunt for any championship).

Villeneuve = After today's race, not a chance...

Piquet Jr. = Possibly but tainted F1 past still looms over him..

Hakkinen = ?

Max Papis = Doing alright in trucks.

Side notes: Montoya was never an F1 World Champion but both Villeneuve & Hakkinen were. Piquet Jr. never stood out in F1 - neither did Papis...

Hakkinen????????
The wrong Finn Ed?
I can't recall Mikka the Flying Finn ever expressing an interest in NASCAR, but he did drive in the odd WRC round and a few DTM events.
:icon_lol:

Ferry_vO
August 21st, 2011, 02:56
Montoya is too unstable in his head to be succesful at any type of racing, Villeneuve is a cranky sour old man who doesn't even come close to his father, Piquet jr. made a career with his father's name and money but very little of his talent.. And Max who? Can't call his seven race career in F1 very impressive..

But let's talk about Nascar drivers that made it into F1! Oh wait... :mixedsmi:

wombat666
August 21st, 2011, 03:52

Dan Gurney.
Jim Clark.
Mario Andretti.
:running::running::running:

BTW Ferry, F1 2010 is giving me grief just navigating the menu......:isadizzy:

Ferry_vO
August 21st, 2011, 04:19
Clark did GT and Indy but not Nascar IIRC?

Andretti is the only exeption; Gurney started in F1 before he started in Nascar (For a few years combining F1 with Nascar and Indy!)

Ferry_vO
August 21st, 2011, 04:20
BTW Ferry, F1 2010 is giving me grief just navigating the menu......:isadizzy:

Yeah a mouse would be much easier but I guess it part of games being developed for multi-platforms..

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 04:49
Hakkinen????????
The wrong Finn Ed?
I can't recall Mikka the Flying Finn ever expressing an interest in NASCAR, but he did drive in the odd WRC round and a few DTM events.

Apologies,
I meant Kimi.....

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 04:50
Clark did GT and Indy but not Nascar IIRC?

Andretti is the only exeption; Gurney started in F1 before he started in Nascar (For a few years combining F1 with Nascar and Indy!)

I know about them....talking recent times here....

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 04:51

And your point here is?

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 04:54
Montoya is too unstable in his head to be succesful at any type of racing, :

CART champion and Indy 500 winner ..

wombat666
August 21st, 2011, 05:34
I did have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek guys.:icon_lol:

I'm fairly sure that Jimmy had a run in a NASCAR but I might be confusing myself with his drives in the Willement Racing Galaxy (or Galaxie?) ........ and yes, Daniel Sexton Gurney drove Sports and F1 at the same time as he became the man to beat in NASCAR at Riverside.
Those drivers were into multi-tasking!
Bobby Unser drove NASCAR for several of the heavy hitters and made the mistake of accepting BRM drives in Canada and the US.
And of course, lets not overlook Mark Donahue, USRRC, CanAm, TransAm, NASCAR (AMC Matador IIRC), Indy and F1.

Never happen today, too few drivers can look outside their blinkered environments.

FWIW, I disagree about Jacques, he has always done what he wanted to do and did it his way.
He cares not for other peoples opinions.
:ernae:

Thoe6969
August 21st, 2011, 08:47
Montoya is too unstable in his head to be succesful at any type of racing, Villeneuve is a cranky sour old man who doesn't even come close to his father, Piquet jr. made a career with his father's name and money but very little of his talent.. And Max who? Can't call his seven race career in F1 very impressive..

:icon_lol: Because none of them would want to.

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 08:57
Because none of them would want to.

Actually,
Kyle, Jimmie, & Jeff Gordon have all expressed interests....

Thoe6969
August 21st, 2011, 12:26
Actually,
Kyle, Jimmie, & Jeff Gordon have all expressed interests.... Theres no way they would want to take that big step down.

Panther_99FS
August 21st, 2011, 13:53
Theres no way they would want to take that big step down.

Why is it a step down (other than this being an opinion) :ques:

Cazzie
August 21st, 2011, 16:39
I did have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek guys.:icon_lol:

I'm fairly sure that Jimmy had a run in a NASCAR but I might be confusing myself with his drives in the Willement Racing Galaxy (or Galaxie?) ........ and yes, Daniel Sexton Gurney drove Sports and F1 at the same time as he became the man to beat in NASCAR at Riverside.
Those drivers were into multi-tasking!
Bobby Unser drove NASCAR for several of the heavy hitters and made the mistake of accepting BRM drives in Canada and the US.
And of course, lets not overlook Mark Donahue, USRRC, CanAm, TransAm, NASCAR (AMC Matador IIRC), Indy and F1.

Never happen today, too few drivers can look outside their blinkered environments.

FWIW, I disagree about Jacques, he has always done what he wanted to do and did it his way.
He cares not for other peoples opinions.
:ernae:

Clarkee-boy raced one race in NASCAR Grand National, I saw him. He raced a Holman & Moody Ford at Rockingham (The Rock) in the Fall race in 1967. As I recall he went out due to engine failure.

Caz

wombat666
August 21st, 2011, 16:59
Actually,
Kyle, Jimmie, & Jeff Gordon have all expressed interests....

Jeff Gordon would have been a really good catch back in the 90s, unfortunately he's past it now, the current 'rookie' age is in the late teens.
And Thoe6969, despite my lack of enthusiasm for the current Formula 1, it is certainly well above driving stone age technology around ovals, NASCAR is your basic Taxi Cab 'racing'.
:173go1: