PDA

View Full Version : 'Royal' Again

Tako_Kichi
August 16th, 2011, 09:08
Canadian Armed Forces to be 'Royal' again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14546579

:salute::applause:

Naismith
August 16th, 2011, 09:23
Canadian Armed Forces to be 'Royal' again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14546579

:salute::applause:

Are they really trying to piss-off Quebec d'ya think?

Tako_Kichi
August 16th, 2011, 09:24
LOL...you never can tell I guess.

aeronca1
August 16th, 2011, 10:26
Being of Irish, German, Polish and French descent, I for one was happy to see the "Royal" part gone. Am off to check with my member of Parliament and register my objection. :icon_lol:

stiz
August 16th, 2011, 11:20
next up .. india, iraq, eygpt .. :icon_lol:

X_eidos2
August 16th, 2011, 12:05
Both my parents were in the RCAF during WW2.

I called my mom today to ask if she had read the news. She had. She then told the story about being at a re-union of the WD's (women's section of the RCAF) and the man responsible for the original name change came on stage to explain why the change had been done. He got boo'd off the stage by the women.

Naismith
August 17th, 2011, 00:49
P'raps the Brits will repay the compliment by buying the Snowbirds some shiney new Hawks to replace the Tutors which are now about a million years old... No? OK then.:salute:

stiz
August 17th, 2011, 00:57
P'raps the Brits will repay the compliment by buying the Snowbirds some shiney new Hawks to replace the Tutors which are now about a million years old... No? OK then.:salute:

we cant even buy ourselfs new hawks let alone new ones for someone else :frown:

deathfromafar
August 17th, 2011, 01:30

Maybe after the CF-35's are delivered the Snowbirds will get hand-me-down CF-18's??? They would be a vast jump over the Tutors or Hawks with plenty of spare airframe/engines & parts already on hand.

Seriously, I kinda like the idea of the designation RCAF, etc. So far all my Canadian friends like the idea. I'm sure some will object but over time the objections will likely wane.

wombat666
August 17th, 2011, 02:09
"A country forgets its past at its own peril. From Vimy Ridge to the Battle of the Atlantic and from Korea to the defence of Europe during the Cold War, the proud legacy of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force will once again serve as a timeless link between our veterans and serving soldiers, sailors and air personnel."

I (just me, myself) think the above says it all.
And I'm not a 'Royalist' by any means either, but as long as the Commonwealth nations remain linked it seems appropriate to keep our real traditions alive.

:unitedkingdom: :australia: :newzealand: :canada:

AndyG43
August 17th, 2011, 03:01
"A country forgets its past at its own peril. From Vimy Ridge to the Battle of the Atlantic and from Korea to the defence of Europe during the Cold War, the proud legacy of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force will once again serve as a timeless link between our veterans and serving soldiers, sailors and air personnel."

And I'm not a 'Royalist' by any means either, but as long as the Commonwealth nations remain linked it seems appropriate to keep our real traditions alive.

:salute::applause::icon29:

Zoren
August 17th, 2011, 08:36

Nicely said and I say it is about time we got back the "Royal" part of our history.

CP1207
August 17th, 2011, 10:26
Wombat666-

My Mom (Canadian), was RAF (not RCAF) in WWII. She was not happy when her country made the change (was not overly thrilled with the maple leaf flag either). Sorry she is not able to see the change back.
Thanks for your post.

delta_lima
August 17th, 2011, 10:28
Agree with W666, and happily reverses a move that was ill-conceived and badly received. During a corresponding period of our Forces's history (70's-90's) already blighted through systematic erosion of our operational capabilities, I see this as an embarrasing bureaucratic stunt that should never have seen the light of day. Pity that it was ever done, and that it was not undone sooner.

You know it was a ridiculous idea when the only ones in a "proper" uniform during this whole period was the Cadet Corp, whose youngsters' uniforms were somehow exempt from this silliness. I'm a proud army man, but it was always nice seeing the young guys/gals in their naval and air uniforms at fundraisers and parades. Good to see the rest of the military has come to their senses.

dl

Naismith
August 17th, 2011, 14:00
Maybe after the CF-35's are delivered the Snowbirds will get hand-me-down CF-18's??? They would be a vast jump over the Tutors or Hawks with plenty of spare airframe/engines & parts already on hand.

Going OT from OP, so I apologise, but I cannot see that happening. Cost being a major factor, how much would it be to keep 9 or 10 CF/18's running over the Tutors costs, quite a bit I suspect. Plus the CF/18's are pretty old themselves. Personally I would hate to see it also. The Tutors are not mega fast machines and as a result make them a the second greatest (i have to admit) display team in the world. Yes of course it's the Red Arrows as No.1. I have seen the T-Birds, Arrows and Snowbirds on a number of occasions and by the nature of the size of team and the a/c they fly, there are long periods when the T-Birds are out of public view forming up for the next pass. This never happens with the Arrows and to a lesser extent the Snowbirds. There is always something happening overhead. Cannot comment on the Angels as I have yet to see them. I wish they would once in a while come up to CYXX. Maybe next year... big 50th anniversay 2012!!

deathfromafar
August 17th, 2011, 15:42
Going OT from OP, so I apologise, but I cannot see that happening. Cost being a major factor, how much would it be to keep 9 or 10 CF/18's running over the Tutors costs, quite a bit I suspect. Plus the CF/18's are pretty old themselves. Personally I would hate to see it also. The Tutors are not mega fast machines and as a result make them a the second greatest (i have to admit) display team in the world. Yes of course it's the Red Arrows as No.1. I have seen the T-Birds, Arrows and Snowbirds on a number of occasions and by the nature of the size of team and the a/c they fly, there are long periods when the T-Birds are out of public view forming up for the next pass. This never happens with the Arrows and to a lesser extent the Snowbirds. There is always something happening overhead. Cannot comment on the Angels as I have yet to see them. I wish they would once in a while come up to CYXX. Maybe next year... big 50th anniversay 2012!!

Yeap, I've seen the Snowbirds a couple of times. That large formation even split up keeps them over show center a good bit more always keeping the crowd's eyes up.
I remember watching the T-Birds flying F-4E's when I was young. It was spectacular but it took forever to reposition for the next passes and the fuel consumption and maintenance hours were out of sight which eventually led to the demise of the F-4E T-Birds. One F-4E would consume as much fuel as all 6 T-38A's in a single demo! The 38's and later F-16's could stay over the crowd in closer intervals than previous aircraft they used.

It is true, the overall cost of them using the CF-18 would be higher and the maintenance hours higher even if the 18's were rebuilt to nearly zero-hour. The upgrade in performance would be spectacular as well but the routine would likely change as a result and trim down to 5 or 6 planes. It just wouldn't be the same anymore. I have to say, what the Snowbirds do with what they have is awesome. It is a trademark like no other and personally I felt honored to have had the opportunity to see them perform.