PDA

View Full Version : Treasures in the attic

X_eidos2
August 13th, 2011, 17:16
I recently returned from a visit to relatives in Canada. While there, my cousin presented me with a stack of photos from storage in the old homestead's attic. In among the family pictures were some aviation related images. My dad was an aeronautical engineer working in Montreal and he would mail these photos and post cards home to his mom, who stored them away.

I thought others might be interested in seeing them, since some are original photos and have never been published.

45876 this is a post card printed in Canada. I know that my dad had his father drive him to Shediac, N.B. so that he could see the massive formation flight of Italo Balbo on his way to and from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair

45877 No notes on the photo, but I suspect it's the civilian terminal at Moncton, N.B. during the late 40's, early 50's.

45878 a post card dated Oct 1948. It's the Canadair Mk IV. On the back my dad wrote..."These are the Kites we are building."

45879 this is an original photo. We have home movies from inside the cockpit taken during a test flight made over the White Mts in N.H.

45880 an original photo, marked Jun 55. It looks like a Pan Am plane coming in at some airport, no idea which one. We were living in Dallas, TX at the time.

45881 an original photo of me and my mom and brothers standing in front of a Ford Tri-motor. The photo is marked May 58. I showed it to my mom and she can't remember why or where the photo was taken. We hadn't flown on the plane, but my dad always liked airplanes. It might have been taken during a visit to an airport in Texas, maybe Love Field.

It would be interesting to see what aviation treasures others might have in their attics as well.

SpitXIV
August 13th, 2011, 19:22
X_eidos2,

Nice cards, thanks for sharing. Kind of a way to travel back in time and see yourself
a child again. I think that airport with the Pan AM in the picture is Dallas Love Field
If you were living in Dallas at that time. Just do a search for Dallas Love Field. :applause:

FlameOut
August 14th, 2011, 03:34
Very nice X_eidos2.
Thanks for posting these.
My brother and I are the only confirmed nuts for aviation. Our parents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins...etc; nor any of our children, wifes or their family members, care anything for aviation... :sleep: just us two old nuts. :wavey:

CybrSlydr
August 14th, 2011, 05:02
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. :)