PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with the Alpha F-105 Thunderchiefs

OBIO
August 13th, 2011, 14:53
I've been flying the freeware Alphasim F-105 Thunderchiefs a good bit the last couple of days. I've revamped the effects on it, tweaked the gauges. A really fun plane to fly...though it's not such a fun plane to land....but that comes down to the fact that I rarely land the plane...I fire it up, fly around carving holes in the air for 20 minutes or so, then simply end the flight. I don't spend enough time landing planes, that's why my landing skills are poor and Deb gets to laugh at me for crashing at least 10 times a week.

I think I have a paint kit done for the Thunderchief....if not done, then really close to being done....and will work on some new skins for the Thud...including some fictional skins. Like an Isreali Thud, South African Air Force, Royal Canadian AF...heck maybe even a few Navy schemes. Just some fun "what if" skins.

OBIO

Blackbird686
August 13th, 2011, 15:16
Cliff Presley did a really nice panel upgrade for the freeware F-105, not sure if he uploaded it here or not... I think I have it on a CD somewhere but I'll have to look for it.

You are right about landing the "Thud". It takes alot of finese and patience. I flew the payware version for a week or so before I was actually able to gently bring it down in one piece. Most all Republic jets of that era required a long runway. I use Alpha's Groom Lake scenery, it has runways most suited for landing the F-105 as well as the F-84.

BB686:USA-flag:

OBIO
August 13th, 2011, 22:31
Man, what a headache! I dug around to find the paint kit I made for the Alpha Thud back in my CFS2 days. Found it, enlarged the texture sheets, redid all the panel lines, applied a nice aluminum metal look (not the high chrome on the stock bare metal birds)...and quickly found out that each of the 3 D models have slightly different names on the texture sheets. Not all of them...but enough so that it became a PITA. Two of the D models have the _t.bmp names, one does not. One D model has the drop tanks with the _T.bmp thing and one does not. Two of the D models have reflective texturing, one does not (but it will have in about 15 minutes!).

So, to make things easier...I broke the 4 models of the Thud (D loaded, D with drop tanks, D clean and F) into 4 separate aircraft folders. And I will create a paint kit for each variant...ensuring that the files are all named to match the bird they go on.....sure, I could just rename the final bmps...but that is just too darn easy....and I have a 1TB hard drive that is way too full...seems like it is getting by too easily in life.

OBIO

Oh, the THUD in a much more realistic bare aluminum skin looks AMAZING! That chrome look of the stock skins is just too much.

OBIO
August 13th, 2011, 23:09
Three screenies of the new aluminum finish on the Thud

Still lots of work to do before I have the first new skin done...and need to do something about the blurry VC texturing. But the Thud is officially being given the OBIO Restoration treatment.

OBIO

AndyG43
August 14th, 2011, 02:42
Cliff Presley did a really nice panel upgrade for the freeware F-105, not sure if he uploaded it here or not... I think I have it on a CD somewhere but I'll have to look for it.

You are right about landing the "Thud". It takes alot of finese and patience. I flew the payware version for a week or so before I was actually able to gently bring it down in one piece. Most all Republic jets of that era required a long runway. I use Alpha's Groom Lake scenery, it has runways most suited for landing the F-105 as well as the F-84.

BB686:USA-flag:

If you can't find it BB (and if you would like a copy Obio) I have it as well, just let me know if you need it.

racartron
August 15th, 2011, 05:11
Ahhh, the memories. Sensing your usual awesome tweaks, I reloaded this baby and fussed with the lights. For some reason it refuses to recoginize the taxi light entry so I made 'em all landing lights.

Aircraft.cfg entries

[lights]
light.0 = 4, 17.00, 0.0, 3.00, fx_shockwave_vclight,
light.1 = 7, -16.5,-17, -1.50, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
light.2 = 7, -16.5, 17, -1.50, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
light.3 = 6, -24.00, 0.00, -1.5, fx_engine_Alpha Viggen
light.4 = 9, -31.00, 0.00, -2.0, fx_reheat_Alpha Viggen
light.5 = 3, -10.5,-18, -0.75, fx_shockwave_navred
light.6 = 3, -10.5, 18, -0.75, fx_shockwave_navgre
light.7 = 3, -27.75, 0.00, 9.5, fx_shockwave_navwhi
light.8 = 3, 3.7, 0, 4.00, fx_shockwave_beacon
light.9 = 3, 10.95, 0, -2.70, fx_shockwave_beacon
light.10 = 2, -10.5,-18, -0.75, fx_shockwave_strobe
light.11 = 2, -10.5, 18, -0.75, fx_shockwave_strobe_2

light.12 = 5, 20.90, 0.2, -5.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small //Taxi
light.13 = 5, 20.90, -0.2, -5.0, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_small //Taxi
light.14 = 5, -2.00, 8.90, -2.60, fx_Shockwave_landing_light
light.15 = 5, -2.00, -8.90, -2.60, fx_Shockwave_landing_light

Panel.cfg Entries:

[VCockpit00]
gauge17=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1,1,1,1
gauge18=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1

I also added an effects section to the aircraft.cfg

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks
touchdown=fx_ktchdwn, 1
windshield_rain_effect_available = 1
startup=fx_dsb_JetStartHeat3

Not sure which engine to alias yet. I don't have anything in my inventory for the Pratt & Whitney J-75-P-19W. I've stuck in Nigel's F-4 potent set for the time being.

OBIO
August 15th, 2011, 08:08
Thanks for the lights set up racartron. I had pretty much the same set up....a few differences with some of the effects I used on the taxi and logo lights. I hadn't seen or used the Iris Jetstart Heat effect before, so will have to check it out. I do have the IRIS Heat effect on the Thud already....in combination with a really nice engine flame (not the AB, but up inside the engine)...this combo looks amazing as the engine starts up.

Two external paints are done. One is a redo of the stock New Jersey ANG paint, but with much more clarity (due to the enlargement of the texture sheets) and the other is a new one for the package...a Thud from the 335th TFS/4th TFW from December 1965. A nice bare metal and light Olive scheme. Will continue chugging away on this package....redo one of the stock skins, then do a new skin.

Will also work on the internal textures to enhance them as well.

OBIO

modelr
August 15th, 2011, 16:59
OBIO,

I remember the Thuds from my days in the USAF at George AFB, 1969-1973 (now Southern California International.) We were a TAC F-4 training base, and often had the Thuds come in TDY to use our weapons training range. The F-4s were loud, but the Thuds were louder. They needed the full runway length to take off and land, as well as their braking parachute. They did not come in with the angle that the F-4s used, they came in long and low, powering it in at very low angle.

The original "chrome polished" skin would work for a Thunderbird paint. Yes, I know they were "B" models, but unless you were really looking you wouldn't know the difference.

OBIO
August 16th, 2011, 17:22
I have the original skin that came with the F-105F redone. The camo colors may be off from what they should be....but I think we can all live with a little inaccuracy for the sake of a much sharper looking skin.

I have a better lineup of RGB codes to use for the SEA tri-color camo (thanks to fsafranek) and will use those colors on upcoming SEA paints for the Thud.

And no...there are no plans to add dirt and grime to this paint....I don't do dirty skins....not that I am unwilling to do them, just that I am unable to do them in a way that looks good. So, I go for the freshly restored look.

OBIO

OBIO
August 16th, 2011, 19:29
I'm not sure if nose art is nose art if it is under the wing...as it is on many F-105s. Whatever it's called, this one has to be one of the all time greats.

This is a snap shot I took in ACM of a WIP SEA Tri-Color Camo pattern to be worn by the F-105D models. The image I am working off of is really small...but I could make out the pregnant Lucy and the words Damn You Charlie Brown. Position is not quite right...but then again, the real F-105D was not cut in have right behind the engine intakes. The font still needs some work...not real happy with the way the one in the image looks....will look until I find one that has that comic strip look but is sharper than the one I currently have there.

OBIO

Morton
August 16th, 2011, 23:45
Obio,
If you want a better 2D panel bitmap which fits wide screen monitors, you can use mine from my Thud CFS2-package..

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?38388-F-105-Vietnam-Thunderchiefs

Morton

OBIO
August 18th, 2011, 11:26
Here's the dealio.....I have two SEA Camo pattern paint kits done for the D model. Very similar patterns, but just a little different....that way all the paints I will be doing won't be based on the exact same camo pattern. Also have a bare metal paint kit done for the D model.

And more dealio....I have two SEA Camo pattern paint kits done for the F model...again, just slight differences so that all the paints aren't on the exact camo pattern. Also have a bare metal paint kit done for the F model as well.

Have two or three skins done of for the D model and two for the F model done. Still have a good number to do for each. Will concentrate on the F model first.

Will also being doing one more camo pattern for both models....the reversed pattern, which....from what I have found reference to....was used on about 1 out of 20 planes. I have a few schemes for the reverse pattern Thud.

I want to do a nice selection of Air National Guard paints...but can not find many pics of the Thud in ANG usage. If anyone has images of the F-105 D or F in use by any state ANG....please share it. Would love to pay homage to those pilots whose primary role is to defend home ground.

OBIO

awj112
August 18th, 2011, 11:35
What about this one?

http://www.airfighters.com/datas/photos/th650/196-62_4253_kiab_07apr09_1.jpg

Or maybe...
http://www.airfighters.com/datas/photos/th650/1220-f105d10164149tfsegulnov76.jpg

OBIO
August 18th, 2011, 12:29
I just put the finishing touches on a Virginia ANG F model. Very neat "nose art" (Flying Anvil II) which I replicated.....so-so I guess. It's close enough to be a resemble likeness, but not 100%. Let's say 80%. That's still a passing grade by any standard. Have one more Virginia ANG skin to do...Flying Ace is the nose art.

The Kansas ANG scheme will be added to the list. Will check airliners.net for some better pics of the bird...got to see what that decal is on the side of the forward fuselage.

Next F model paint will be a bare metal job....with a much more realistic aluminum sheen. I made the model reflective.....the bird looks great in clean polished aluminum....I don't do dirty paints...so it'll look inspection ready.

OBIO

OBIO
August 18th, 2011, 12:32
modelr

I have a nice B model scheme that I am going to spray onto the D model...like you said, the differences are not that great. For one, the B did not have the gun...so I will simply remove the gun port from the paint.

Will look at the Thunderbird scheme and see if it is something I can do.

OBIO

OBIO
September 10th, 2011, 22:33
Some new screenies of the Restoration of the F-105. Added some overall paint weathering...thanks to a tip and file from Smoothie. Have been trying to add dirt to parts of the plane...but my smudge tool doesn't seem to be working properly. May have to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop....need to stop screwing around and bite the bullet and buy a new version of Photoshop.

Anyhow...here's some screenies of the D model wearing the "Damn You Charlie Brown!" nose art.

The planes now sport a much more correct color scheme, 32-bit format for max clarity.

Still have a lot of paints to do, some camo, some bare metal. Will keep chugging along on this project and will present the Thunderchief in a much better state of usability. Again, this is just a visual Restoration....the FDE seems good enough to me, so I won't try to fix what ain't broken.

OBIO

OBIO
September 10th, 2011, 23:41
Just got a second SEA camo skin done for the D models. And I added a new touch to the VC panel...a gauge to control the refueling probe thingie. Not a great gauge, but it works...it's the stock Concorde Nose gauge..it has 4 positions on the gauge, but you only need to click one notch down to extend the refueling probe and one click back up to put the probe away. Makes it nice to be able to operate the refueling thingie from the VC without having to try to hit some odd keyboard combo...try hitting Control Shift N with your left hand without looking.

OBIO

AndyG43
September 11th, 2011, 01:58
Thought you had been quiet recently. You have been busy, that is looking mightily impressive Tim, looking forward to getting my hands on her. :applause:

OBIO
September 11th, 2011, 09:29
I have been quiet lately...but not because I have been working on planes. Deb and I are moving at the end of the month, so I have been busy with all that is involved before a move....going through our stuff to figure out just how much stuff we really didn't need, didn't use, didn't want (and it came to 3 mini-van loads of stuff.....and I'm talking about the extended wheel base 7-passenger Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with all the rear seats removed, packed full as full can be loads....it's amazing how much junk two people can accumulate in 7 years). Packing, packing and more packing. Now begins the cleaning phase...giving the place a good deep cleaning before we move out so that it is ready for the next people who will live here......but that begins tomorrow....so today it's all about painting the Thud.

OBIO

AndyG43
September 11th, 2011, 09:39
Good luck with that move Tim, a stressful time in anyones life.

OBIO
September 11th, 2011, 12:34
F-105F of the Virginia Air National Guard....the Flying Anvil II. Took a good hour or so to replicate the nose art....and even then I didn't do it justice. There should be a cloud painted behind the anvil and text, but my artistic skills are not up to doing a good job of it...so I went for a "good enough" likeness.

Onward I go...adding the weathering layer to the skins that I had done already, and then on to more new skins.

OBIO

HorusJ
September 11th, 2011, 14:49
Looking good OBIO. I love the name,"Flying Anvil II".:icon_lol:
I look forward to flying that "Anvil"!

J

OBIO
September 11th, 2011, 17:33
I am having upload issues here at SOH....DangerousDave is on the case trying to help me figure it out.

So, to Flightsim.com I went to upload a teaser package for ya'll to check out. The package contains a tweaked MDL file for the F-105F and one new bare metal (and reflective) skin for the F Thud. This package does not include the tweaked 2D and VC panel set ups or the new effects package...that will all be saved for the final package. The skin in the teaser package may (most likely will) change before the project is fully done....I am trying to learn to add more weathering to my paints....Smoothie is giving me some lessons...that guy is good.

So, hop over to Flightsim.com tomorrow or the day after and grab the teaser package. It will be under the FS2004 New Files or do a search for my name, Tim Dement.

OBIO

OBIO
September 11th, 2011, 22:33
Currently have 5 skins done for the D model and 3 skins done for the F model. Some of these skins are repaints of the stock skins that came with the Alpha Thuds, some are new skins. The bare metal (and reflective) skins really look nice on the Thuds...all models are now reflective...so you can fly a bare metal D model in clean, drop tank, or loaded configuration.

I am still hoping to be able to mod the MDL files so that all three D models use the same texture name...the clean and drop tank models have the _t ending in the names (they came with reflective texturing as part of the model files) while the loaded D does not have the _t (it and the F model are actually older CFS2/FS2002 models that did not come with reflective texturing as part of the model make up).

If I can achieve this mod, then it will cut down on the size of the upload since one texture folder can be shared between the 3 D model MDL files. As it is now, I can share one folder between the clean and drop tank models and have to rename a set of textures to work with the loaded D model. And with the textures all being 32-bit full size sheets (4.0meg per sheet), this can quickly become a very large file to upload and download and will result in unnecessary HD space consumption.

Next step is to complete the repaints of all the stock skins and get them out of the way...then move on to new skins....including a really cool desert scheme from Hill AFB. With a rattle snake on the vert tail area....way cool!

OBIO

HorusJ
September 12th, 2011, 06:19
Sounds good OBIO. I appreciate your work (The 105 being my favorite all time US military jet) and look forward to burning up the sky with your Thuds.:salute:

Horus J

HorusJ
September 12th, 2011, 11:48
Thank Tim! :wavey: It's a nice change to have a bare-metal "F".48172

OBIO
September 12th, 2011, 12:35
Speaking of bare metal Thuds....I am reworking the drop tanks to incorporate the proper anti-glare paint on the upper, forward portions of the tanks and the forward parts of the drop tank pylons. Really adds to the overall look of the planes....but there are a couple of issues due to texture mapping. The port side pylon and drop tank paint lines up perfectly.....the starboard side...not so much..a bit off. Since the tank and pylon mapping is shared, there is no way to adjust the right side to line up. It's not off by much, so it isn't a huge thing.

The second issue has to do with the drop tank fins. The way they are mapped, one of the fins picks up the anti-glare paint...not the whole fin, about half of it. Looking at the tanks from the rear, it is the left hand downward angled fin that picks up the color. Again, there is nothing I can do about this...other than NOT adding the proper anti-glare treatment to the drop tanks. I would rather have a bit of excess paint on the fin that to lose the added detail of the anti-glare paint on the drop tanks.

I have one more stock D model skin to redo and a couple of adjustments to the one stock F model skin...then the stock skins will be redone. Then I will concentrate on new skins.

OBIO

Oh...you know how I stated in the teaser pack that the included skin would most likely be changed prior to the completion of the full project...well, it has changed...and for the better. The anti-glare paint on the fuselage has been reworked and vastly improved, the color of the aluminum skin has been changed to give the plane a more used and weathered look. It way better looking now.

OBIO
September 12th, 2011, 22:07
I really like the way this bird came out:

This is one of the stock skins redone with crisper details, improved aluminum skin and in 32-bit format.

If you look at the drop tank fins, you can see the spot where the one fin picks up color from the anti-glare area on the drop tank's upper forward portion.

And speaking of the anti-glare....is there a standard color for anti-glare on drop tanks or what it just what ever happened to be on hand? I have pics that show the anti-glare that look black, some that look lighter, some drop tanks don't have the anti-glare on them at all. I have pics of a model Thud with the anti-glare in a very nice looking blue green/green blue/aqua color...I did that scheme...have no idea if it is totally accurate but it looks nice. I have some DT anti-glare areas painted to match the anti-glare on the spine of the plane. So, was there a standard for this area or just hit and miss?

OBIO

OBIO
September 16th, 2011, 20:20
I was checking out the skins I have done so far....and realized that I do not like the bare metal on the bare metal paints. It's too gray, to much like shiny lead. So, I adjusted the base color on one texture sheet until I got something that I do like...not airshow polished silver metal, but not spit shined lead either. A nice aluminum color, but not a polished aluminum...an aluminum that is still reflective, but showing a bit of a haze, a bit of tarnish maybe.

So....I have a lot of bare metal skins to tweak. Thank goodness for Photoshop layers....and my habit of saving every paint as a separate folder...I will only have to open each file, change the base color, save the file with the alpha layers active, then hide the alpha layers, flatten the file, save it as a bmp, then format the raw bmp in DXTbmp in 32-bit 888-8 with the proper alpha layers. Maybe an hour worth of work to get all the bare metal skins tweaked. Then on with more painting.

OBIO

KellyB
September 18th, 2011, 04:21
I've downloaded the plane, and noticed that there isn't a checklist or reference file showing takeoff speeds, landing speeds, and vspeeds in general.

Does it simply not exist, or did I miss something? Other Alpha planes have them.

Thanks.

OBIO
September 18th, 2011, 09:12
I don't recall seeing a check list for the Thuds. Once upon a time, there was a site that had check list info for tons and tons of aircraft.....will look around and see if I can find it.

Found the page:

http://www.freechecklists.net/

Nothing there for the Thud though. Mostly GA and prop Commercial planes from looks of it. Still a very valuable resource.

OBIO

AndyG43
September 18th, 2011, 12:23
Yes, a very useful page, thanks Tim.

KellyB
September 18th, 2011, 13:18
That is a nifty site.
It's odd about the Thud, tho.

Navtech
September 18th, 2011, 15:22
Thank you for the job !

OBIO
September 19th, 2011, 12:26
I have one more stock skin to redo....will have it done tonight. Have a good number of new skins I want to do...but we are on the verge of moving. This move is going way out of our plans....we will be living in my mother-in-law's finished basement until such time that the place we are moving into is actually empty and ready for us to move into. The place was SUPPOSED to be vacated at the first of the month, then the landlord was SUPPOSED to have 3 weeks to have the place painted and new carpet installed, and we were SUPPOSED to move in the last week of this month. But the lady is still there, the place has not been painted or carpeted...but we HAVE to out of our current place on the 30th. So....after this Friday, my system will be down, stacked in my sis-in-law's spare bedroom. I will not be able do any sim work until AFTER we get into our new place, get everything set up and get the cable/internet company out to hook us up. 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month....good gosh I do not look forward to a month living in my mom-in-law's basement!

I will get the last new skin done tonight, get gauges and effects files packed up, make sure all the config files are set up properly for the skins and get this package uploaded to Flightsim.com by Thursday night. There will be 3 parts to this package. Part 1 will cover the F-105D in clean and drop tank configurations, as they share common texture naming and can use the same texture folders. Part 2 will cover the F-105D in loaded configuration, as it uses a different texture naming. Part 3 will cover the F-105F. There will be 9 textures for the D model Thud and 4 for the F model Thud. All stock skins will be present in redone form....higher resolution, enlarged texture sheets, crisper markings and such. 4 new skins for the D model and 3 new skins for the F model. More new skins will come once we are settled into the new place and all that jazz.

I think you folks will enjoy the enhancements to the Alphasim Freeware F-105 package. For an older package, the external modeling is pretty darn good, the VC....it's a VC. It ain't gawd awful, it ain't great...it's usable. Some new VC textures would go a long way to improving the VC...but that is a "down the road" kind of thing.

OBIO

AndyG43
September 19th, 2011, 12:54
I think you folks will enjoy the enhancements to the Alphasim Freeware F-105 package. For an older package, the external modeling is pretty darn good, the VC....it's a VC. It ain't gawd awful, it ain't great...it's usable. Some new VC textures would go a long way to improving the VC...but that is a "down the road" kind of thing.

OBIO

Is that the texture F105_vpanel.bmp? I'll have a look at it tomorrow, see if I can get something better for you.

OBIO
September 19th, 2011, 14:57
Andy

The F105_vpanel and F105_vpit are the vc textures that I want to clean up and improve. Those two panels, if redone with crisper details, would really bring the F-105's VC up a notch or three.

Tim

AndyG43
September 19th, 2011, 15:08
OK, I'll have a look tomorrow. Not promising that I can do anything, but with all this time on my hands it will at least be good practice.

napamule
September 20th, 2011, 07:49
Hey guys. Can't land this bird? Well, here is a 'New & Improved' set of FDEs that will tame this rocket. The cfg has extensive mods done to it. Much better handling now. It can even do aerobatics while going 700 kts! Lands at 120 to 140 kts. Hand fly it all day if you wish. Too much fun already. (I'M TOO GOOD-hehe). Enjoy.
Chuck B
Napamule

KellyB
September 20th, 2011, 12:29
Thanks for the new fde files and the tips.

AndyG43
September 21st, 2011, 13:12
Does anybody know if there is a site with good bitmap images of cockpit gauges?

Jafo
January 21st, 2012, 07:11

Always been my fave plane since I was about 9 or 10.....around '64-ish.
That's my 'version' of the Alpha 2D pit.
Had to code a few gauges myself....has a few tricks...eg the gauge reflections in the cockpit glass actually function [in mirror, of course] and the mirrors, canopy and refuel probe are animated. 1680x1050 ....;)

Jafo
January 21st, 2012, 07:17
Does anybody know if there is a site with good bitmap images of cockpit gauges?
I probably have just about every book printed about the Thud....most recent was the Pilot's handbook reprint [of the 'B']
Decent images of the B pit are hard to find, but there's quite a few of the D/F.
Am doing a 2D pit of the B as well ...but still more to do on it.

modelr
January 21st, 2012, 09:10
Great looking panel, Jafo.

Did Tim ever finish up this redo he was working on?

OBIO
January 21st, 2012, 09:57
Nope...not finished yet....one or two paints to do.....and just can't get myself in gear to finish them. I will get them Restored Thuds done "soon" and uploaded. They really do look nice....the bare metal is a new combo of base and alpha that I used for the first time on this project...looks like bare aluminum that has lost its polish...not that airshow new look.

Tim

modelr
January 21st, 2012, 12:39
Nope...not finished yet....one or two paints to do.....and just can't get myself in gear to finish them. I will get them Restored Thuds done "soon" and uploaded. They really do look nice....the bare metal is a new combo of base and alpha that I used for the first time on this project...looks like bare aluminum that has lost its polish...not that airshow new look.

Tim

That would give it the look of an active line bird, Tim. Realistic.

Will be watching for your release.

Don

SSI01
January 21st, 2012, 13:43
OBIO an unusual paint scheme you may want to consider is one for "Ryan's Raiders," who I believed used F-105Fs over the Ho Chi Minh Trail at night. Their aircraft did not have the light grey undersides but the upper surface camo wrapped right around the aircraft. Same with the drop tanks. IIRC they didn't use the standard USAF SEA colors, either, but rather three dark shades of green. I know the Squadron/Signal "In Action" book on the F-105 had several B&W photos of RR aircraft, as well as a color profile.

For the literati among us, I HIGHLY recommend a trilogy of books under the author name Tom Wilson, these coming out in the late 80s or maybe early 90s - "Termite Hill," "Lucky's Bridge" and "Tango Uniform." Mr. Wilson was a Bear in F-105Fs and Gs and witnessed the air war over NVN at its height. It shows in his writing. These are as good as James Salter's novels "Gods of Tin" and "The Hunters."

Modelr is right re: F-105 landings & TOs. They used to visit us periodically at Luke AFB. I also remember seeing 561st TFS Wild Weasel aircraft on the ramp at McConnell AFB, KS in 1974.

Two real "screamers" for jet aircraft noise - T/A-37, and B/EB-66.

Jafo
January 21st, 2012, 15:07

Tim
For some reason those linked images won't show for me...but I've a feeling I'll be really interested in the repaints...;)

burcham8
January 21st, 2012, 17:42
I can't get the linked images, either :kilroy:!

Marc

Jafo
January 21st, 2012, 17:44
I can't get the linked images, either :kilroy:!

Marc
Ah....so it's not because I'm on the underside of the world then....;)