PDA

View Full Version : Identity crisis

Ian Astill
August 12th, 2011, 22:45
The IS4G Mc202 is a bit confused. Nowhere near as much as I am atm though, I don't know how you painters do it

Finn
August 13th, 2011, 06:08
Actually the Luftwaffe did use quite a few Italian-built aircraft during the whole WW2, and especially took over many after the Italian surrender. H.W. Neulen wrote an interesting book (dual language, english and Italian) called "The rich Booty - Italian aircraft in Luftwaffe service" where you might find a picture looking like the one you joke about.
Finn

Rami
August 13th, 2011, 10:10
Actually the Luftwaffe did use quite a few Italian-built aircraft during the whole WW2, and especially took over many after the Italian surrender. H.W. Neulen wrote an interesting book (dual language, english and Italian) called "The rich Booty - Italian aircraft in Luftwaffe service" where you might find a picture looking like the one you joke about.
Finn

Finn,

That's a fair point. The much-maligned Italian aircraft industry did produce a quality fighter that did reasonably well where it fought...the Macchi Mc-202. It was roughly comparable to a Bf-109 "Freidrich," and could take on most Allied North African types on equal terms.

Though they depended on German Daimler-Benz engines, the Italian "Series V" aircraft were solid performers in every respect, and in particular, the Fiat G-55 Centauro was thought of very highly by Luftwaffe pilots for its performance and handling characteristics, even at high altitudes. Additionally, the inclusion of a wide-track landing gear (something that I'm sure you know...the Bf-109s narrow landing gear made ground handling and landings a difficult prospect) made the aircraft quite popular with German pilots.

Though it is Wikipedia, the data about German interest is quite sound, as I have verified it in the past through other sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.55

Ian Astill
August 13th, 2011, 10:48

I'm starting to quite enjoy this painting malarkey, I'm not sure whether the ''floggetoggles'' are 100% accurate just yet...

tonybones2112
August 13th, 2011, 11:04
Finn

Finn, thank you for the tip on the book. I build plastic model tanks and planes once and a while, captured equipment is my prime interest besides night fighters.

Tony