PDA

View Full Version : Before I Begin....

sc7500
August 10th, 2011, 10:02
...Is there an effective method to convert an aircraft built for FSX Acceleration to CFS2 ?

Seems I've tried it before with mk_MDLC and the Force was not with me.....

TIA :wavey:
SC
:kilroy:

jhefner
August 10th, 2011, 10:25
I think that would be a bridge too far. Folks have been able to convert FS9 planes and FSX ports from FS9 over to CFS2. But, there were major changes to the model file for true FSX; and there is no way to convert them for FS9; much less CFS2. Sorry.

-James

sc7500
August 10th, 2011, 10:32
Alrighty then - is there a Guru who can put into terms I can understand exactly how M$ shot themselves in the foot on this conversion deal ?

It just seems there should be a workaround for the MDL file.......

SC

simonu
August 10th, 2011, 11:38
Work around! Take it from one who has tried, it would be quicker to learn Gmax and build from new, than try what you suggest.
I do not think Microsoft are very interested in CFS2 or its fans. They have sold their commercial code version of FSX known as ESP (maybe it stands for Extensible Simulator Package ) to Lockheed or somesuch . Xbox live users are their favored market these days.

jhefner
August 10th, 2011, 11:40
Alrighty then - is there a Guru who can put into terms I can understand exactly how M$ shot themselves in the foot on this conversion deal ?

It just seems there should be a workaround for the MDL file.......

SC

FSX/Accelleration allows for more polygons in each model
FSX/Accelleration allows for a seperate VC model
FSX/Accelleration has different annimation techniques
FSX/Accelleration has different texturing techniques (i.e. bump maps).
One or all of the above could cause such a conversion to fail.

FS2000/CFS2 to FS2004 used the same basic model file; which was different from the previous versions. FSX was yet another break in the model file format; just like other features in FSX. Older models will work in FSX; but true FSX models will not work in FS22004 or earlier versions. There is not a version of MDLC that will convert true FSX models to earlier versions of FS.

-Hope this helps
James

Shessi
August 10th, 2011, 12:03
Hi SC,
Yes, would be great, but unfortunately although not impossible it is near enough.

The problem is one of two, 1) that native FSX ac have two models, the ac and the VC cockpit and are brought together by FSX, 2) the polygon limit of FS9 of 65,000 is far exceeded by native FSX ac, also a big difference in the animations between the two, and therefore cannot be imported or supported in FS9, let alone CFS2.

BUT!, Bill Ortis aka Lionheart, and a small team came up with a way of importing FSX ac into FS9. It requires a few programmes and a lot of time, but is possible. Here's the tutes:-

http://lionheartworld.net/misc/FS9_U...m_for_Gmax.pdf
http://lionheartworld.net/misc/FS9_U...m_for_Gmax.mov

Now, whether they would then be able to be imported into CFS2, or so big manual MDLC or mk_MDLC would be able to handle it without a runtime error etc etc, I don't know?

It's one of those, I'll give a it a try one day things........;)

Cheers Shessi

sc7500
August 10th, 2011, 12:04
James and Simon - An excellent and concise explanation of the challenge.

I'm working on the GMax learning issue, slowly but surely...

I will save the files I have for future re-use.

Thank You, All !
SC