PDA

View Full Version : RIP: David "Opa" Marshal

rcbarend
August 7th, 2011, 03:29
It is with great sadness to inform you, that David Marshal (a.k.a. as "Opa") has passed away, after a heart attack last Thursday.
His daughter Mary informed me of this, in reply to an Email I sent to David a few days ago.
I'm sure many of you will be as shocked as I am.
As you know probably know, David was a very knowledgeable and extremely helpfull member in the flightsim community.
My deepest sympathy to David's family, and I wish them much strength in dealing with their awfull loss.
"Opa", RIP.
You will be missed by many.

Best regards,
Rob Barendregt

Astoroth
August 7th, 2011, 03:40
Damn, we're losing so many good people from the FS community lately. David had a huge body of work, he and his contributions will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. David....

papab
August 7th, 2011, 04:31
He was always helping folks with their issues.......

R.I.P. David....

Rick

JoeW
August 7th, 2011, 04:50
He had a "cure" for any problem. He will be missed by many. He was also a well liked person.

Crusader
August 7th, 2011, 05:01
Probably one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever read concerning flightsiming and what it takes to run it . He will be sorely missed .

edmoore235
August 7th, 2011, 05:15
Goodbye David. R.I.P. Sir. A wonderful person and a real expert in Flight Simulator world. He will be missed by all his friends and family. A sad day. He was never too busy to help out a person with a problem at any time. God bless him.

Terry
August 7th, 2011, 05:47
He helped me several times. Great guy!!!!!

Sascha66
August 7th, 2011, 07:01
I am very sorry to hear it!

RIP:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

N2056
August 7th, 2011, 07:14
I'm very sorry to hear this news. David had a gift for helping others. He had a lot of FS knowledge, he was willing to share it across many forums, and he had patience when his attempts to help were difficult for some to grasp. I'll miss him. He was a class act.

If there was a Flight Sim Hall of Fame I'd vote him in.

T Square
August 7th, 2011, 07:37
I am crushed, may God Bless him and his family.

fsafranek
August 7th, 2011, 08:13
I read that over at avsim this morning. This is very sad news indeed. I've seen Opa's name for many many years in this hobby and on many occasions have made use of his contributions. He was always providing information and tutorials in his Tips and Tricks or creating cool things (lots of scenery and later some navigation gauges) to help others. He is truly missed already.

:salute:

mike_cyul
August 7th, 2011, 08:22
Very sad to hear. He was a great member of the community, and is going to be missed.

Mike

Daveroo
August 7th, 2011, 09:10
R.I.P. Mr OPA...he was a fine man,he helped me in a few PMs here on simouthouse a few times without knowing me or even caring,he just responded to a call for help and ,well,,helped...he will be missed..i hope someone lets his family know how much he is missed in this comunity

middle
August 7th, 2011, 09:30
Aw man...I'm really sorry to hear this. Rest in Peace.

MIKE JG
August 7th, 2011, 12:52
News surfaced today that David "Opa" Marshall has passed away suddenly late last week. He was on many of the popular forums and always had a kind word of encouragement for fellow simmers as well as a way of helping others get their issues sorted out.

If you've ever heard of the "Tips and Tricks" series for FS9, that was all from David. He contributed much, much more than that series as well.

He will be missed. :salute:

Smokey Joe
August 7th, 2011, 13:03
The guy was a true gentleman, and one of the most helpful people to have ever graced the FS community. He will indeed be missed.

jpmouse
August 7th, 2011, 13:55
News surfaced today that David "Opa" Marshall has passed away suddenly late last week. He was on many of the popular forums and always had a kind word of encouragement for fellow simmers as well as a way of helping others get their issues sorted out.

If you've ever heard of the "Tips and Tricks" series for FS9, that was all from David. He contributed much, much more than that series as well.

He will be missed. :salute:

A Flight Sim giant who will be missed by me.

TARPSBird
August 7th, 2011, 14:35
Did a search at Flightsim.com with his name and got 106 hits, all kinds of neat stuff. That body of work alone is a big contribution to the hobby, not to mention assistance to other flightsimmers. RIP David.

OBIO
August 7th, 2011, 14:54
RIP David. You will be missed by all of us sim pilots.

OBIO

SpitXIV
August 7th, 2011, 15:22
We'll miss Opa, My sympathies to his family, He helped alot of people. And he lived
around my neck of the woods. You just never know one day he\she is there and
the next their not. RIP David.

:(

robert41
August 7th, 2011, 15:28
Sorry to hear this. Condolences to family and friends.

napamule
August 7th, 2011, 15:30
It's really a sad day for a lot of us in the sim community. He was a virtual walking library. It seemed impossible that one person could carry so much info about all phases of the sim in his head. But he did. He deserved more awards than he got.

Opa and I go back a lot of years. We emailed occasionally. One time he had had it with this one noob and emailed me to see if 'maybe you could help this guy out'. I had seen his terse reply ('..and next time don't ....'). I laughed. First time he actually blew up in public. And he was really angry. The guy didn't come back after we got through with him and his 'attitude' as he didn't want to accept the impossibility of what he wanted to do.

He knew everything. But one time he had an engine dying on him when on idle and posted a question (a rarity). One minute later, without looking, I gave him the answer (a change of value to line in cfg) and he never forgot that. Neither did I :-) .

Next month he would have been married 56 years. It would be nice if his family could write a book about his life (biography). I would buy that book. I am sure a lot of his personal life events would be very interesting reading. He will be missed. RIP OPA.
Chuck B
Napamule

Roger
August 7th, 2011, 15:32
I merged the two threads about David.
RIP you will be missed.

CP1207
August 7th, 2011, 18:12
His patience in threads was immense.
And his knowledge led me to look at things that I did not even know I had a problem with.
:icon29:

keatles
August 7th, 2011, 18:57
Old pilots never die ... they are just transferred to a better squadron.

But his friends and family from the old squadron still miss him.

Thanks for all your knowledge, unselfishly shared, and your help, so freely given, David.

:salute:

stuartcox
August 8th, 2011, 07:44
May his soul rest in peace.
What a great bloke he was! His work lives on...

norab
August 8th, 2011, 07:46
a terrible loss, condolences to his loved ones

Creepy847
August 8th, 2011, 14:13
RIP....

Creeps

mrogers
August 9th, 2011, 00:23
Very sad to see that Opa has passed on. His legacy will live on in the flightsim community and will continue to contribute immensely to many more people yet.