PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda...the Atlantic paradise...

tobob
July 25th, 2011, 10:22
For those who are using Rhumba's new mesh, when I installed the watermasking I deleted all the stock pac*.bgl files.

Then installed the accompaning CFS2_Watermasking_01 and 02.

Here they are together.

His readme states this:

"These watermasks will override the default watermasking for CFS2. The default watermasking files are located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\world\scenery", and appropriate files may be deactivated... but it is not necessary. Not all the defaults are replaced... only those of the WWII war theatres." Rhumbaflappy

He says only the pac* files need to be deactivated.

So the morale of the story is to not delete these...(if you are outside the Pacific theatre)

tobob

Rami
July 25th, 2011, 10:33
Tobob,

Not to be a contrarian here, but I had a real problem with this principle when I made the port at Narvik, Norway. The scenery would "flop" between the stock and Sander/Rhumba coastlines depending on whether I had the scenery GSL activated or not.

It's a good rule of thumb, but it's not foolproof.

tobob
July 25th, 2011, 11:23
It's a good rule of thumb, but it's not foolproof.

Nothing is unfortunately. :salute:

if you don't want to use them you will need to reactivate this one - cst4310m.bgl - for proper watermasking around Bermuda.

Rami
July 25th, 2011, 13:01
Nothing is unfortunately. :salute:

if you don't want to use them you will need to reactivate this one - cst4310m.bgl - for proper watermasking around Bermuda.

Tobob,

Yes...I re-activated that one, along with these two...

CST4310M.BGL - Bermuda
CST4L10M.BGL - Dakar, Senegal
CST4500M.BGL - Jan Mayen, Norway

Rami
July 26th, 2011, 05:51
Good morning,

Seeing as how I made tobob slave in creating the Bermuda scenery for Fleet Air Arm, I am now having a ball building the scenery I will make into GSL.

Some of the stuff is really cool, like the marine life, and sailboats.

Tobob, I'll send it back to you so that you can have some fun with it. I also want to see if anyone can build a seaplane takeoff point in the harbor, so that way we'll have our own little Atlantic paradise.

kdriver
July 26th, 2011, 10:02
Hi Rami,

How historically correct do you want it? The RAF seaplane base was on Darrel Island which does not exist in CFS 2. The closest takeoff point in CFS 2 would be N32 16.70 W64 49 06 with a heading of 270 deg.

Some time ago I installed some FS 2004 custom mesh for Bermuda. It improves it slightly - there are some ocean hills but at least most of the hills are on dry land. The default land class makes the island look like a desert. Bermuda appeared quite green when I saw it from 30,000 feet a few years ago.

Rami
July 26th, 2011, 10:53
Hi Rami,

How historically correct do you want it? The RAF seaplane base was on Darrel Island which does not exist in CFS 2. The closest takeoff point in CFS 2 would be N32 16.70 W64 49 06 with a heading of 270 deg.

Some time ago I installed some FS 2004 custom mesh for Bermuda. It improves it slightly - there are some ocean hills but at least most of the hills are on dry land. The default land class makes the island look like a desert. Bermuda appeared quite green when I saw it from 30,000 feet a few years ago.

Kdriver,

Your point would be true, except that tobob has also made custom landclass and elevation mesh for said area. With that in mind, here are a few pics...

Rami
July 26th, 2011, 10:56
Kdriver,

Here are a few more pics...now, judging from research on Google Earth, I'm guessing that Darrel island is the location I have circled in red. The other ports and lighthouses are civilian, basically just there to "liven up the place." I'll continue to throw some trees and houses around the island to make it look "real."

tobob
July 26th, 2011, 12:01
The RAF seaplane base was on Darrel Island which does not exist in CFS 2.

Hey guys let me get back to you with Darrel Island. It's not yet in the scenery.

tobob

kdriver
July 27th, 2011, 07:51
Tobob & Rami,

The scenery looks great. I can see some new missions brewing.

The circled island was the location of the US Naval Air Station. Two islands - Morgan's and Tucker's were levelled and joined together to form a flying boat base.

The RAF's base at Darrel Island was located about a mile and half east of the US base.

The US Army built Kindley Field on St David's Island at the northeastern end of the island chain and is the site of the present day international airport.

Rami
July 27th, 2011, 07:58
Tobob & Rami,

The scenery looks great. I can see some new missions brewing.

The circled island was the location of the US Naval Air Station. Two islands - Morgan's and Tucker's were leveled and joined together to form a flying boat base.

The RAF's base at Darrel Island was located about a mile and half east of the US base.

The US Army built Kindley Field on St David's Island at the northeastern end of the island chain and is the site of the present day international airport.

Kdriver,

Thus far, the scenery is only used as a backdrop that you cross over on your way to torpedo and dive-bomb training. I saw much of the evidence on Google Earth, and used it as a framework. I can send you what I have, if you like...

kdriver
July 27th, 2011, 08:46
Kdriver,

I can send you what I have, if you like...

Thanks Rami - that would be great. :salute:

Rami
July 27th, 2011, 18:39
Kdriver,

The files have been sent, along with something else that may interest you...this campaign is going to be a real dousy...one of my "biggies" in terms of the amount of stuff you'll need.

kdriver
July 28th, 2011, 09:51
Thanks Rami - everything installed OK and it looks beautiful.

tobob
July 28th, 2011, 10:40
New Landclass...

Rami
July 29th, 2011, 06:38
New Landclass...

Tobob,

This version is even better, correcting some of the minor flaws from the first one. I always imagined Bermuda would be more lush! :icon29:

kdriver
July 29th, 2011, 07:11
And the other islands are there - well done Tobob :applause:

Some more missions may be in order - Bermuda Triangle perhaps?

Rami
July 29th, 2011, 07:12
Kdriver,

Check your mail.

One could always re-enact the famous "Flight 19" episode, I suppose...

Rami
July 31st, 2011, 19:15
To all,

There is new download in the CFS2 scenery section...it is the island of Bermuda, which was created in large measure by tobob, who did the land class and shorelines, and Kdriver, who created the two airfield takeoff points for the scenery package.

Because I'm using this scenery package for the upcoming Fleet Air Arm campaign, I created some GSL scenery for the island, and added it as part of the scenery package with permission from tobob, along with the typical word document on where to find everything.

There will be a package released later this week for scenery at Bari, Italy, which will be used for "Beaus in the Sand."

Here's some historical info for why Bermuda scenery was needed for the campaign...

It was 806 Naval Air Squadron that actually did their training onboard the Illustrious near Bermuda during the summer of 1940, the two missions in the Fleet Air Arm campaign are based in fact.

“In June the squadron embarked in HMS Illustrious along with 815 and 819 Naval Air Squadrons with whom they had been temporarily based at RAF Detling for Operation Dynamo. Illustrious then left for Bermuda in order to work-up the ship's company and the embarked squadron’s crews. On one flight during this work-up a Blackburn Skua from 806 Naval Air Squadron was accidentally lost. The aircraft had been sent up with an aircraft from 815 Naval Air Squadron that was piloted by Charles Lamb in order to make dummy attacks at them to work out the best defence for Swordfish from daylight fighter attack. In its second dummy attack the Swordfish was at sea level, and the Skua pilot dived down from two or three thousand feet, misjudging both aircraft altitudes and failed to recover on his dive and plunged into the sea with no survivors.

In another flight during their time in Bermuda, all three squadrons on Illustrious were flown from the deck while it was at anchor however when the time came to land an hour later the wind had disappeared. With the crash barrier down in order to use the full length of the deck all the Swordfish managed to land safely without tearing their arrestor hooks out. When it became 806 Naval Air Squadron's turn, Lieutenant Commander Charles Evans was the first to attempt to land and with the higher speed at touch down from the Blackburn Skua the arrestor hook on his aircraft was torn out from the fuselage and he had to resort to applying right rudder and slamming the nose of his aircraft into the ships island in order to prevent it continuing down the deck and falling into the water. The second aircraft to attempt to land still retained enough speed to become airborne again after it had torn its arrestor hook out and had to wait in the air while the rest of the squadron attempted to land, and was in the end instructed to find somewhere on Bermuda to make a forced landing; he chose to land on a golf course, resulting in the aircraft's wings being sheared away by trees. All the other pilots in the squadron then either repeated the commanding officer's actions on their turn to land or continued down the deck and fell into the water, except one other aircraft, which had managed to stop before falling off the deck. Although nobody was hurt from this last incident in Bermuda all the aircraft in the squadron had been damaged and instead of heading straight to the Mediterranean from Bermuda the Illustrious had to return to the Clyde, where they re-equipped with Fulmars, and the squadron was given a few weeks to get acquainted with the new aircraft.”

tobob
August 1st, 2011, 05:31
The GSL looks amazing!

44976 44977 44978 44979

:salute:
I think I'm missing textures in the last photo? What are the black buildings?

Edit: Ok I found out the missing texture names but cannot find them - warehse0, warehse1, warehse2 - Part of Xavierb's warehouses?

tobob

The_Editor
August 1st, 2011, 06:43
Very nice. :salute:

Rami
August 1st, 2011, 08:23
I think I'm missing textures in the last photo? What are the black buildings?

Edit: Ok I found out the missing texture names but cannot find them - warehse0, warehse1, warehse2 - Part of Xavierb's warehouses?

tobob

tobob,

Yes, those would be Xavierb's warehouses.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=7557

tobob
August 1st, 2011, 09:18
tobob,

Yes, those would be Xavierb's warehouses.

Rami,

Thanks, however those textures are not included with the package. I have tracked them down to my main texture folder and had to copy them into the inf folder. It's working great now!

tobob

erufle
August 2nd, 2011, 03:56
Bermuda . . . how cool! :guinness:
I wish we had more North American scenery of any era.

Rami
June 14th, 2013, 09:24
Hey Dan,

I just wanted to let you know that you can stop pulling your hair out. I decided to start over...and re-organized my scenery files for your releases, separating them out.

I'm now not having the issues of the scenery appearing and disappearing...this includes La Rochelle as well. The only thing I can't get quite right in my Early European sim is Bermuda, but I'll post a pic of that later.

I'll start working on St. Nazaire, now that I can see it...at once. I'll also get started on Trondheim!

Finn
June 14th, 2013, 09:50
Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't know Bermuda was in Europe? But then, your are the teacher, so you must know.

Finn

Rami
June 14th, 2013, 15:03
Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't know Bermuda was in Europe? But then, your are the teacher, so you must know.

Finn

Finn,

Geographically, you're right. The British used Bermuda as a training/practice area for the Fleet Air Arm, well away from the carnage of Europe. Tobob made this scenery for me when I revamped the campaign in 2011, and because the training exercises took place in 1940, I include it in my Early European Theatre of Operations. (1939-1942)

Tobob,

Regarding Bermuda, I'm having a problem. For all your ETO sceneries except Bermuda, I have placed the flattens in the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder and have gotten the desired results. This includes the Bermuda land and water flattens. When I put the watermask files in the correct folders as instructed for Bermuda, the result is what you see depicted on the second shot. When I place the flattens in the Scenedb\World\Texture folder and then put the Bermuda watermask in with the rest of the Bermuda scenery, the result is shown on the left picture.

Oddly, what is wrong in the first configuration gets corrected through the other configuration. Any ideas?

Rami
June 17th, 2013, 11:08
Rami,

I recently found some problems with these objects (some won't load into Model convertor X) and will send an updated version ASAP. The DP's very well could be messed up, that was an early project. I will take a look at that as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience fellas.

P.S. Rami in another thread you mentioned a dry dock object. If I were supplied some info maybe I could help out there.

tobob

Tobob,

If you look at the St. Nazaire thread, I was able to fix the .dp files so that they will load in missions, so there is no rush. I included the fixed .dp files in the La Rochelle package on June 15th.

Were you able to look at the Bermuda pics in the "success" thread?

tobob
June 18th, 2013, 10:27
Tobob,

Regarding Bermuda, I'm having a problem. For all your ETO sceneries except Bermuda, I have placed the flattens in the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder and have gotten the desired results. This includes the Bermuda land and water flattens. When I put the watermask files in the correct folders as instructed for Bermuda, the result is what you see depicted on the second shot. When I place the flattens in the Scenedb\World\Texture folder and then put the Bermuda watermask in with the rest of the Bermuda scenery, the result is shown on the left picture.

Oddly, what is wrong in the first configuration gets corrected through the other configuration. Any ideas?

Rami,

It must be a layer issue. I recall having a problem when creating it, but got it working. Is this a new issue with Bermuda? I thought we had it working... Try moving this file around - tb_bermuda_wm_3.bgl -

tobob

Rami
June 18th, 2013, 12:49
Tobob,

Getting closer...this is with the WC_030_020.bgl and LC_030_020.bgl in the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder.

I was also able to fix Dakar's harbor island by moving the watermask file into the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder.

tobob
June 19th, 2013, 04:59
Tobob,

Getting closer...this is with the WC_030_020.bgl and LC_030_020.bgl in the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder.

I was also able to fix Dakar's harbor island by moving the watermask file into the Scenedb\World\Scenery folder.

Rami,

Those are the landclass and waterclass files. These change the water and ground textures only. It looks like you may be negating them and going back to Eurw LC textures.
Which seems to be a layer issue...

You have said you put all the flattens and LC and WC files in Scenedb\World\Scenery folder. Could you put all those in a "Tobob mask" folder and put it higher then the world folder and below any of my sceneries?

Here's mine, setup like normal. My hope was to keep the install as simple as possible.
Next step would be to reinstall the scenery like OEM? That might help being on the same page.

tobob

Rami
June 19th, 2013, 14:03
Rami,

Those are the landclass and waterclass files. These change the water and ground textures only. It looks like you may be negating them and going back to Eurw LC textures.
Which seems to be a layer issue...

You have said you put all the flattens and LC and WC files in Scenedb\World\Scenery folder. Could you put all those in a "Tobob mask" folder and put it higher then the world folder and below any of my sceneries?

Here's mine, setup like normal. My hope was to keep the install as simple as possible.
Next step would be to reinstall the scenery like OEM? That might help being on the same page.

tobob

Tobob,

I tried doing that, and I'm back to everything else being okay, except Darrell Island. Weird. :isadizzy:

tobob
June 20th, 2013, 05:02
Tobob,

I tried doing that, and I'm back to everything else being okay, except Darrell Island. Weird. :isadizzy:

Rami,

Okay, rename tb_bermuda_darrel_islands_lm_3.bgl to tb_bermuda_Xdarrel_islands_lm_3.bgl

I am not sure if we can rename bgls so if not I can compile a new one

tobob

Rami
June 20th, 2013, 07:12
Tobob,

I tried that, with no effect. The mystery deepens...:isadizzy:

tobob
June 20th, 2013, 16:08
Tobob,

I tried that, with no effect. The mystery deepens...:isadizzy:

Rami,

Put everything back to normal and replace this file in the Bermuda_watermask folder. Hopefully that fixes it!

tobob

Rami
June 20th, 2013, 17:39
Rami,

tobob

Tobob,

Even closer. Now the scenery is correct, but I don't have the textures quite right. What texture set are you using?