PDA

View Full Version : Donationware Wildcat

falcon409
July 31st, 2011, 11:52
I reworked the interior textures to upgrade the resolution. Looks better now (to me anyway). I wanted to redo the prop texture, not the prop blur, just the static prop texture to give it better resolution. I don't see any texture though. Anyone familiar with that aircraft know if (and I'm assuming here) the prop was part of the mdl file and not something that can be edited?

falcon409
July 31st, 2011, 17:33
Ok. Forget the prop. Moving on to other things now. Not that big a deal.:salute:

roger-wilco-66
July 31st, 2011, 21:31
Hi,

do you mean Phil Crowthers FM-2?

Cheers,
Mark

Rich
July 31st, 2011, 21:42
falcon409,

just dragged mine out, I have a prop texture = prop_us.bmp , the model file calls for this for the VC, not sure if the texture came with a paint for that Wildcat or I put it there, regardless I get exactly the same results with or without that texture in so it must be reading the prop from the model.

Rich
July 31st, 2011, 22:08
Mark,

Pretty sure it's one of the 2 downloads on this page,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=67

Rich

Hi,

do you mean Phil Crowthers FM-2?

Cheers,
Mark

falcon409
August 1st, 2011, 03:59
falcon409,

just dragged mine out, I have a prop texture = prop_us.bmp , the model file calls for this for the VC, not sure if the texture came with a paint for that Wildcat or I put it there, regardless I get exactly the same results with or without that texture in so it must be reading the prop from the model.
Yep, I was kinda hoping maybe I was just missing a texture. Too bad. Thanks Rich.:salute:

LouP
August 1st, 2011, 17:55
That was one of my favorite aircraft in FS9

roger-wilco-66
August 2nd, 2011, 00:46
Don't know if this is of any help, but I convert the FDG FS9 models to native static FSX aircraft right now.
In the process I saw that the prop textures on the F4F are missing as you said, but I managed to extract a file out of the model which was referenced as prop_us . I saved it as prop_us.dds and assigned it to the proper empty texture slot and bingo, the prop was there.
The prop texture is a double texture, part of it depicts one solid prop blade, and another part the blurry.

I use the newest beta version of ModelconverterX for that. It might work that one extracts the prop texture, reassigns it in MCX, and saves the FS9 model again. Then you'd have an external texture file that could be edited.

I wonder if the FS9 models could be totally converted to FSX standards with that very powerful software. It's a bit of work, but unfortunatly I'm totally engaged in the FSX Solomon update, otherwise I'd try it.

Cheers,
Mark

falcon409
August 2nd, 2011, 09:26
. . . . . .but I managed to extract a file out of the model which was referenced as prop_us . I saved it as prop_us.dds and assigned it to the proper empty texture slot and bingo, the prop was there.
The prop texture is a double texture, part of it depicts one solid prop blade, and another part the blurry. . . . . .

Cheers,
Mark
I found the texture, but I don't see any option to extract anything from the mdl.

roger-wilco-66
August 2nd, 2011, 22:34
I found the texture, but I don't see any option to extract anything from the mdl.

In MCX, open the Wildcat mdl (ignore the collapsed aircraft parts in the display), go to the mass texture editor, and convert all bmp textures to dds. The prop texture will be there. Then export the mdl as a FSX type.
You might have to fiddle with the alpha parameters for all transparent textures in the material editor after that to make it look right.
I never tried to convert a FS9 aircraft to FSX that way, so I don't know if after the process all animations etc still work, but it might be worth a test. You also can reassign new effects here, btw, if they are coded into the model.
I only used that process for converting FS9 / CFS2 scenery objects and make static aircraft out of regulars, and here it works fine.

Cheers,
Mark