PDA

View Full Version : On Approach!

andersel
July 29th, 2011, 21:05
I got my computer back from the repairer this afternoon. I ended up having a buch of stuff done and spending A WHOLE BUNCH OF MONEY. Less than buying a new system but more than I had planned on doing/spending. The OEM Hitachi 640gb HD went pffft to the point of almost inoperability. My tech thinks that she can recover all or most of the data on it. I had it replaced with a 40gb solid state HD for the OS and FS9. It boots to the W7 desktop in around 6 seconds. Clean install of W7 Home Premium. Two of my 1gb memoru sticks had failed. The tech found a couple of 2gb sticks as replacements so I now have 6gb of physical memory. My tech is going to keep a look-out for a quad-core processor to replace the onboard Core 2 Duo, but I'm not going to sweat that for now. I also purchased a 1tb iomega external HD and am having any recovered data from my old HD putr on yo that. I won't be setting up the system until Sunday afternoon. My nephew is going to come over and help me. He can crawl around on the floor under my deskand twist himself up like a human pretzel. I cannot. It's been, what, a month since I've flown? Hope that I can remember how. Oh well. Here's to yet another series of smoking holes in the ground.

LA

LA

TeaSea
July 30th, 2011, 03:34
For the record, I've had 3 personal HDD's fail, and have recovered all data off all of them. Unless something has destroyed the physical media itself, it can be accessed. If the media surface is damaged, it's a bit more problematic, but with the right software and enough money, you can even find most of that data as well. The only issues I've ever encountered recovering HDD data is at work, where we use Data At Rest encryption, which secures he data on the drive should someone walk away with a system, but also makes it a monumental pain in the a** to recover in case of failure. Actually, we've not been successful.....

I use a separate external HDD (1 TB) set up to mirror the main drive. I have the same set up on two systems in the house. Obviously it's intended to allow for easy recovery in case of catastrophic failure, but I've found it's also a pretty handy means of fixing something silly you've just done in FSX without having to start from scratch.

Good luck with your upgraded system.