PDA

View Full Version : RIP POS GMC

Willy
July 27th, 2011, 19:08
Finally got out from under my '05 GMC Sierra today. The a/c went out Friday and I found out this morning that it's not covered under the extended warranty. Then while the shop was looking at it, the ticking noise it's been making when idling turned out to be a serious problem with the oil pump not pumping enough oil.

I've been a GM truck man most of my life, but this one has soured me on them. It's been one thing after another since I bought it. GM made a serious mistake when they quit production of the old Chevy small block engine and went to that piece of junk under that GMC's hood. The rest of the truck hasn't been much better as it's been nickel and diming me for a while now.

So, we went back to the dealer I got it from this afternoon and traded it in on a late model Nissan Titan fullsize pickup (I make it a practice to not buy brand new). My first Japanese vehicle and it has more bells and whistles than the GMC and less than half the miles. Now to just figure out what all those buttons and switches are for....

TARPSBird
July 27th, 2011, 19:20
Nice use of acronyms in the title of your post. :icon_lol:
My '96 Dodge Dakota will be a hard act to follow when I finally break down (or the truck does) and buy a new vehicle. Bought it used in Dec '99 after my '86 Nissan p/u got totalled in an accident. Biggest expense incurred on the Dodge was replacing the fuel pump, other than that it's been just routine repair and replacement and it's been a faithful runner.

Prowler1111
July 27th, 2011, 19:20
Willy:
Thatīs one helluva pick up truck, beats the crap of any silverado any day, just watch the MPG, since they are really thirsty monsters, but the ride compared to a GMC truck is way..wayyyy better (more driver in mind than the GMC).

Best regards

Prowler

rayrey10
July 27th, 2011, 20:04
... My first Japanese vehicle....

Congrats on the new wheels. Aren't those manufactured in Tennessee or somewhere in the Southeast?

BPbobafett1982
July 27th, 2011, 21:20
Last year my 95' Ford Ranger XLT with 280K miles finally bit it. Sold what was left to the dealer toward my 06' Ranger FX4. Best buy and deal ever.

I never bought a vehicle brand new.

PRB
July 27th, 2011, 22:45
Nice wheels Willy!

Willy
July 28th, 2011, 08:03
When we were looking it over yesterday, I popped the hood open for a look. I was a diesel mechanic for over 25 years, but I told Mrs Willy that me looking under that hood was like a dog watching television.

Milton Shupe
July 28th, 2011, 10:03
Good move Willy :applause:

Last year I finally gave up my 1989 F-150 with 154K miles (still runs great today) and bought a new looking 1993 F-150 (also new looking) with 104K miles. Both these trucks have been super for me. I wish you you the best with the new-like Titan.

middle
July 28th, 2011, 10:08
Nice Truck, Willy. I have to pull the tranny on my '57 as the throwout bearing is shot. Of course it's not all that hard on the old ones.

TARPSBird
July 28th, 2011, 15:15
Willy, I should've mentioned in my previous post that my '86 Nissan p/u was just as good a runner as my Dakota and just as reliable. It had an oil leak that I never got around to fixing but other than that it was a great truck. So there's a plug for Nissan, even though my truck was just a little guy compared to your Titan.

Willy
July 30th, 2011, 23:08
After a few days in the Titan, the more I drive it the better I like it. Took Mrs Willy out to the Chinese restaurant a few towns over this evening and it definitely handles better than the old truck did. I did notice that it's very easy to get happy with the gas pedal. A lot more power than the GMC had. At 65 mph, the engine is just loafing along at a slightly fast idle.

One thing I've found out about the Nissan Titan is that they are made in Mississippi and the engines are made here in Tennessee. Very little Japanese content in the truck other than the name.

David_L6
July 31st, 2011, 04:21
You must have got a bad one....

My son is driving the 1999 Silverado (first year of the new body style and new engine) I bought new in October of 1998. Has over 225,000 miles on it.

I have a 2008 Silverado with 50,000+ miles on it that I bought new in May of '08.

The '99 has the little 4.8 liter V8. The '08 has the 5.3 liter V8. Gas mileage is about the same with the 4.8 getting just slightly better on the interstate.

If I were going to buy another truck today, it would be another Chevy. Preferably a 3/4 ton diesel. At $50,000+, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

Crusader
July 31st, 2011, 05:24
You must have got a bad one....

My son is driving the 1999 Silverado (first year of the new body style and new engine) I bought new in October of 1998. Has over 225,000 miles on it.

I have a 2008 Silverado with 50,000+ miles on it that I bought new in May of '08.

The '99 has the little 4.8 liter V8. The '08 has the 5.3 liter V8. Gas mileage is about the same with the 4.8 getting just slightly better on the interstate.

If I were going to buy another truck today, it would be another Chevy. Preferably a 3/4 ton diesel. At $50,000+, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

I have the 99 Silverado 4x4 Ext cab with the 6' bed . It too has the 4.8L V-8 . It has 152,000 miles on it and I probably only drive it 30-40 miles a week now that I'm retired . I've had no problem with the 4.8L and you're right , I believe the 99 was the first year with this type of engine . It still doesn't use a drop of oil . Original everything with the exception of tires of coarse and I did change the plugs at 90,000(new type which I can't think of the name of now). When I worked I left my car in the garage in really bad weather and the "old 99" got me through some tuff times .

Rich

Moparmike
July 31st, 2011, 06:55
Nice looking Datsun there Willy. :icon_lol:
I'm not real partial to the big Nissans...I love the little ones though. I'm still looking for a nice 2000-ish Frontier to replace my rusty old D21.
And yup, they're more of a US-built truck than the GM or Ferds are these days.

Everyone I know that has bought a Titan has complained about the fuel mileage...plenty of power though.
But it is hard to beat a half-ton GM 5.3L in the mileage vs power department. the 4.8Ls are a little short on power if you have a load on back...just like a 4.6L Ford (I made that mistake with my '97 F150).

When you're pulling the horses around, make DARN sure you keep it out of overdrive when you've got a trailer on back though. And if the torque convertor is unlocking/locking a lot when you're driving, change your speed so it doesn't.
The tranny will cook if you let it shift in/out of OD or let the torque convertor twitch constantly when you've got a load on. Same goes for any half-ton with a trailer, but the Nissan and especially the Toyota Tundra are a lot more finicky about getting overworked when trailering.