PDA

View Full Version : What's happening here?

Eoraptor1
July 27th, 2011, 15:56
I've had FSX for a little over a week now, and am really enjoying it. Still, there are mysterious occurances going on under Windows 7 for which I have no explanation. I've posted two screenshots of virtual cockpits, both of which worked perfectly when first installed. The first one is of the Goodyear Corsair, CorsairVF-17Yorky.zip. As is plain to see, the window textures have gone completely to black. They worked perfectly when first installed. The second pic is of Warwick Carter's P-51D, p51dver2.zip. If you examine the dials on the control panel closely, you'll see that the textures are wonky. I haven't the slightest idea why this has happened, especially since I returned all the visual settings to Microsoft default and again, I don't know why. Am I missing something very obvious? What's happening here?

JAMES

Roger
July 27th, 2011, 16:02
It's one of those issues with texture and mdl files when you port-over Fs9 aircraft.

For the Corsair if there's a texture called something like "glass interior" making the alpha black should give you an interior with clear glass. With Wozza's P-51 the gauges are probably unuseable in FsX.

Eoraptor1
July 27th, 2011, 16:08
It's one of those issues with texture and mdl files when you port-over Fs9 aircraft.

For the Corsair if there's a texture called something like "glass interior" making the alpha black should give you an interior with clear glass. With Wozza's P-51 the gauges are probably unuseable in FsX.

Thank you for answering so quickly, Roger. The grand mystery to me is, why did the texture intially appear as transparent, and then as black. It worked fine when first installed. I don't have the slightest idea what I may have done.

JAMES

Roger
July 27th, 2011, 16:12
Did you upgrade FsX to SP1 and/or SP2?

Eoraptor1
July 27th, 2011, 17:08
Did you upgrade FsX to SP1 and/or SP2?

I run Acceleration Expansion Pack. I was under the impression that Acceleration included both SPs.

JAMES

PS I deleted and then reinstalled my Mustang, and the gauges are now appearing properly.

Roger
July 27th, 2011, 17:44
Glad the Mustang is working! Have you managed to find an appropriate texture for the interior glass for the Corsair?

Eoraptor1
July 28th, 2011, 14:50
Glad the Mustang is working! Have you managed to find an appropriate texture for the interior glass for the Corsair?

I haven't had time to go over the Corsair's textures the way I'd like to. One thing I did notice this mornng before I was off about my small business, for a split second I could see through the F4U's windows normally, and then the screen went to black. When I first downloaded the a/c, there were no problems. Something strange is going on. I've never heard of a settings change maxing the opacity on an alpha channel before, but as I said, I haven't had time to go over the textures. It may be someting completely different.

JAMES

stansdds
July 29th, 2011, 01:39
Did you install FSX to the default directory, C:/Program Files? This often causes issues under Windows Vista and Windows 7 due to all the security features in these operating systems. It's best if FSX (and any game or sim) is installed to a different directory or a different hard drive.

medic
July 29th, 2011, 04:58
Normaly an alpha issue on glass textures you would make your VC glass look an opauge grey color and from your screen shot your glass is showing black, this sujests a missing texture file. Even with a missing texture file your glass will show as transparent for a breif second.

To trouble shoot and eliminate the problem you will have to follow these steps in exact order.

Check your original zip file and compare it with your installed file for any missing textures

If you have a texture folder for shared textures check that you have a texture configeration so that FSX knows were to look.
If there is no texture configeration you can copy and paste the texture configeration from another aircraft, I normaly use the default b737 800 texture configeration when porting FS9 aircraft to FSX.
Your texture configeration should look like this

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e

Check any texture file that indicates Glass to see if the alpha channel is black.

This in most cases will solve this type of problem.

Please rember when editing any file always make a back up copy first.

Eoraptor1
July 29th, 2011, 18:15
Thank you, gentlemen, for your help. I've already moved FSX out of Program Files(86x) and into another directory. When I have time, I'll attend to the texture fix.

JAMES

Eoraptor1
August 1st, 2011, 17:37
Alright. I did get the Corsair fixed. What I did was switch out the texture folder for another one made for the same .mdl, but that was working properly. Then I moved the exterior texture files from my problem folder (fuselage, wing, etc) into the new folder, allowing them to overwrite their counterpart files. Nothing fancy, but it did show that it was a texture file right in the plane's texture folder that was causing the problem. I still have no idea why. If I have more time, I'll isolate the specific file.

My thanks to everyone who offered solutions. This was very much appreciated.

JAMES