PDA

View Full Version : 100,000 Horsepower Engine

Wing_Z
July 26th, 2011, 19:56
The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel ship engine (http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/ship-engines-hood-monster-engines/)...
3 stories tall, 2,300 tons, BIG doesn't begin to describe it.
http://gcaptain.com/emma-maersk-engine?506

OBIO
July 26th, 2011, 20:19
I just ordered one of those for my mini-van. Luckily, NAPA had them on sale, so I was able to squeeze it into my budget.

OBIO

Mickey D
July 27th, 2011, 04:30
Glad I don't have to scrape in the big end bearings!

aeronca1
July 27th, 2011, 07:48
I just ordered one of those for my mini-van. Luckily, NAPA had them on sale, so I was able to squeeze it into my budget.

LOLOLOL, your gas card will be too big to fit in your wallet!

Daveroo
July 27th, 2011, 08:37
im pretty sure ive seen the emma mursrk in san fransico bay a time or two...shes huge.took the ferry from jack london square to fishermans warf ( or warf 9)that aera anyway and we passed it enroute,,,ot a tad...that day was cool,,,we got up at 5:30 and walked to the local railroad staition here intown the east and west bound tracks are seperated due to topogarphy ( to hilly,and in the 1850s i guess they thought the second rought wasnt as steep and curvy..)boarded the train in auburn and went to jack london square in oakland,deboarded the train and got on the fleet fairry and went to the city.had dinner upstairs at the old grotto number 9 ( dont know if it there now or not)stayed at some old hotel,i hated it,,,too classy and expenive for me...but my guest was beside her self,,,would have thought she was one of these "holywood housewifes" the way she acted,nose up in the air puttin on airs,,,i brought her back to earth though...we were eating dinner and were sharign a talbe with some midwest types,,cornshukers she called em.....so i said...well hon..with these cornshuckers here,,,you wouldnt beabe to stand at that cashregister all day a the dollar store now would ya???

she accually told me to go find a gay bar......

funny part??? mr cornshuckers says...are there really gay bars here...ive never seen one.....so off we went.....LOL.......my date was livid...when i got back to the room there was a sleeping bag on the floor...LOL

lazarus
July 27th, 2011, 09:38
Those things are monsters. Just by way of comparison, The RR Trent, the big Trent, pulls some thing on the order of 100,000 hp to run its compressor, the residual thrust is used for incidental purposes- lofting the triple7. Its all relative. The bit about those BIG diesels that amazes me is that they turn so slowly that alot of pretty heavy maintenance can be done on 'em while they're running.

HouseHobbit
July 28th, 2011, 07:44
I wonder if one of these would fit in a Harley??
well maybe Not..
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: