PDA

View Full Version : bgl to fs9 mdl

PJMack
July 25th, 2011, 13:31
What program do I need to compile either an sca file or a bgl file to an fs9 mdl? Newbie....thank you
:salute:

Dangerousdave26
July 25th, 2011, 16:18
The best program to do that kind of work is ModelConverterX.

You can find it in the downloads section at http://www.fsdeveloper.com

It is another one of Arno's tools.

Of course it should not go with out saying if you are converting the files you should be the original modeler or have their permission.

PJMack
July 25th, 2011, 16:56
Thank you DD but can you answer one more thing? It is looking for an x file type. How do I get the sca or bgl to that type?

PS It is an old file that the owner does not respond about.

Thank you again.

tgibson
July 26th, 2011, 09:56
You say "it" is looking for an x file. What is "it"? ModelconverterX will convert SCA and BGL files, just change the file type in the drop down box. BTW, AFAIK it will not convert files to X files - the only program I know that creates X files is MakeMDL (FS2004 SDK), which requires the file to be loaded into GMAX or FSDS, and also a program like MDL Commander (no longer easily available) to save the X file.

Hope this helps,

PJMack
July 26th, 2011, 11:45
Newbie error. If its wrong its usually the programmer. Thanks for your help but the model converter x will not work on this model. Thanks again.:salute:

Dangerousdave26
July 26th, 2011, 16:42
Thank you DD but can you answer one more thing? It is looking for an x file type. How do I get the sca or bgl to that type?

PS It is an old file that the owner does not respond about.

Thank you again.

Sorry but been off line for the day. To open the bgl you would just select Import and then in the File types use the drop down and select FS BGL. It is possible that it may not be able to open it. That would be because of how the bgl was configured or generated and not a problem with ModelconverterX.

Now to the other question. It is in bad form to use anyone elses work if you do not have permission. If you can not contact them it is still in bad form to use it.

Now my question what bgl is it?

Just curious

PJMack
July 26th, 2011, 16:47
Dave,

I have given up on opening it due to the facts that a) it will not open and b) I understand about the creators rights. Thanks again

tgibson
July 27th, 2011, 13:25
BTW, if you are using the last "stable" release of MCX (1.20), using the latest development release instead opens *lots* more files than the old one does.

Hope this helps,

Lionheart
July 27th, 2011, 22:08
Man, I have never heard of a SCA file format. I've been in this a few years, too, lol..

But, if the model were in its source file state, like what ever it was created in (which is probably SCA), then you could see about finding a way to export it into 3DS or something that could get you into Gmax, Max, etc. Then you could export to MDL format.

With ModelconverterX, you should be able to break the BGL file down into a workable model. Just get the permission from the author if you do anything with it, like release it.

MCX is an awesome program.

I wonder what program makes a SCA file?

Bill

Lionheart
July 27th, 2011, 22:13
Just googled this. It is a SCASM file. If you have something like SCASM 2.9, you should be able to compile it into a BGL which is used in FS as scenery.

From a BGL, you should be able to break it down into a 3DS file. From there, you can import it into Gmax and study it.

You will need to re-animate parts if they were formerly animated. BGL files are usually not animated as they are scenery, unless a flag or rotating beacon, AI cars, etc. If this is a scenery plane you want to get flying, then you will probably need to do a TON of things, like cut the ailerons out, etc, but again, you need the owners permission.

You might think about getting Gmax installed and working (free) and just start making one. You get to choose how nice it will be, etc. Its pretty good fun.

Bill

Dangerousdave26
July 28th, 2011, 04:21
Bill with ModelConverterX you can take just about any file and convert it into a 3ds file. The parts of the object will retain the UVW mapping but loose any animations associated with it.

PJMack
July 28th, 2011, 13:33
Thanks for all the input fellas but I have found that it will not convert using modelconverterx and I cannot get the authors permission so I guess that is that. Happy flying!:salute:

MaddogK
August 3rd, 2011, 07:36
Yes, modelconverterX does limit the types (and age) of files you can import, BUT I've found that some older files can be converted (or MDL's extracted) with certain versions of SCASM if you use the proper command syntax. There are other older tools that may work as well, but if the model was created with the Gmax plugins for fs9 they're extremely hard to reverse engineer, thats when a hex editor becomes your best friend.