View Full Version : Amy Winehouse RIP

papab
July 23rd, 2011, 11:22
Only 27 years old......hard life
http://news.yahoo.com/police-singer-amy-winehouse-dies-age-27-170841681.html

Rick

ThinkingManNeil
July 23rd, 2011, 11:26
Such a voice. Such a talent. Such a sad, sad waste. Only 27 years old.

Goodbye, sweet girl.

N.

Dangerousdave26
July 23rd, 2011, 11:31
Guys You were so close together in the post time I merged the threads.

Very shocking to say the least.

Reminds me of an old Saying. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

ThinkingManNeil
July 23rd, 2011, 11:56
NP.

N.

Tako_Kichi
July 23rd, 2011, 12:22
Reminds me of an old Saying. The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
That applies to so many performers through the years. Too many have been lost young.

johnh_049
July 23rd, 2011, 12:24
Kind of like the loss of Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin.
all that wasted talent thrown away on dope.

kilo delta
July 23rd, 2011, 12:46
Kind of like the loss of Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin.
all that wasted talent thrown away on dope.

She'll become the latest member of the 27 Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club)

Cazzie
July 23rd, 2011, 13:44
I am not surprised in the least. I feel for her parents, who surely must be grieving, but her demise was her own doing, God's curse for one making too much money and having too much celebrity. Lindsey Lohan is headed down the same road.

Bushpounder
July 23rd, 2011, 15:58
I think everyone knew it was going to happen one day. After her tour was cancelled in June, it was only a matter of time. She couldn't even remember the words to her own songs. Damned booze and drugs gets another one.

Don

hey_moe
July 23rd, 2011, 16:15
She had some big problems with booze and drugs...if ya wanna see how bad off she was type her name into Youtube and look at some of the videos that were taken of her when she could hardly stand up. This also includes some of her concerts. What a total waste of talent to drugs.

Ickie
July 23rd, 2011, 16:19
I think she should have went to rehab, no no no

hey_moe
July 23rd, 2011, 16:27
You ain't right.:icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
July 23rd, 2011, 16:40

She did go to rehab. Not everyone makes it. Seriously, was anyone really surprised by this outcome?

JAMES

demorier
July 23rd, 2011, 17:34
She was a train wreck waiting to happen....it's a great shame really.

TomSteber
July 23rd, 2011, 19:26
She'll become the latest member of the 27 Club (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club)
Wow, your right.

Wild Bill Kelso
July 24th, 2011, 03:32
I am not surprised in the least. I feel for her parents, who surely must be grieving, but her demise was her own doing, God's curse for one making too much money ...

Almost completely agreed here.
But as far as my world view is concerned, it's no matter of "God's curse":
It's her who decided to live this kind of life!
She could have done differently - she made her decisions - these are the consequences!

And I sincerely don't want to step on any of her admirer's toes but in my humble opinion, she was one of today's most overestimated musicians.

Sorry if this may sound a little harsh, but comparing her exit to those 90 Norwegians being killed by a right-wing christian fundamentalist at Oslo this Friday, I don't feel anything about her ...

Cheers,
Markus.

Eoraptor1
July 24th, 2011, 07:29
Almost completely agreed here.
But as far as my world view is concerned, it's no matter of "God's curse":
It's her who decided to live this kind of life!
She could have done differently - she made her decisions - these are the consequences!

And I sincerely don't want to step on any of her admirer's toes but in my humble opinion, she was one of today's most overestimated musicians.

Sorry if this may sound a little harsh, but comparing her exit to those 90 Norwegians being killed by a right-wing christian fundamentalist at Oslo this Friday, I don't feel anything about her ...

Cheers,
Markus.

I'm very much aware of the terror attacks. My true thoughts on that matter would break forum rules, and I've made promises that I'll behave myself. I will say that you see views similar to those of the fellow that was captured all over YouTube. People who follow my threads know that I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books, and I watch the movies quite often on YouTube, that's where I first noticed it. When the attack occurred, it did not surprise me. Did Ms. Winehouse deserve to die? That's more than I know. I find it more and more difficult to use the word "deserve" in sentence. The story is bigger than Ms. Winehouse. There's a light on her because of her celerity, but she's only one thread in the web. There are literally millions of people around the world enslaved by substance abuse, and the illicit drug economy generates billions. That has a direct effect on domestic and foreign policy. I don't know a single family who in some way hasn't been affected by substance abuse.

JAMES

OBIO
July 24th, 2011, 07:39
Until this thread, I had no idea why Amy Winehouse was "famous". I had heard her name, but never knew she was a singer. I went to Youtube to check out some of her videos...didn't hang around long...not my cup of tea musically.

Yes, it's a shame that she died so young...and even a greater shame that she died from drugs and alcohol abuse.

OBIO

Naismith
July 25th, 2011, 00:55
Likewise, I had never heard her sing but knew of her. I am afraid to say that influenced by media reporting I never paid her any heed music wise. I had a listen today and clearly she had a good voice, reminiscent of Billie Holliday and Sarah Vaughn.
What a sad life, self inflicted but tragic all the same.

AndyG43
July 25th, 2011, 00:57
As yet the cause of her death is unknown; she had received a visit from her doctor on Friday who said he was happy with her condition; police reports suggest that there were no drugs in the house; so reports saying she died of a heroin overdose, and videos surfacing supposedly showing her on a crack binge on Saturday morning, look to be the usual sort of bilge fed to us by what passes for mass media "journalism" these days. I have just read a very thoughtful & well-balanced article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/24/russell-brand-amy-winehouse-woman)on poor Amy, by Russell Brand of all people. Tim, maybe give it a read, you may reassess your opinion of the poor girl a little.

It has again been a bad few days for "journalists" with all the so-called experts deciding on Friday that the tragic Norwegian bombing & shooting HAD to be the work of an organised Al Qaeda cell (even when they knew the shooter was a blond Norwegian, at which point they decided he must be a convert), and the Sun 'newspaper' in the UK actually using that as their banner headline. We really need to get over our societal obsession with hating & demonised minorities, and the cult of celebrity. There are times I despair. :-(

Maarten -
July 25th, 2011, 01:47
As yet the cause of her death is unknown; she had received a visit from her doctor on Friday who said he was happy with her condition; police reports suggest that there were no drugs in the house; so reports saying she died of a heroin overdose, and videos surfacing supposedly showing her on a crack binge on Saturday morning, look to be the usual sort of bilge fed to us by what passes for mass media "journalism" these days. I have just read a very thoughtful & well-balanced article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/24/russell-brand-amy-winehouse-woman)on poor Amy, by Russell Brand of all people. Tim, maybe give it a read, you may reassess your opinion of the poor girl a little.

It has again been a bad few days for "journalists" with all the so-called experts deciding on Friday that the tragic Norwegian bombing & shooting HAD to be the work of an organised Al Qaeda cell (even when they knew the shooter was a blond Norwegian, at which point they decided he must be a convert), and the Sun 'newspaper' in the UK actually using that as their banner headline. We really need to get over our societal obsession with hating & demonised minorities, and the cult of celebrity. There are times I despair. :-(

Andy, I can't agree more!

Cheers,
Maarten

wombat666
July 25th, 2011, 02:26
"We really need to get over our societal obsession with hating & demonised minorities, and the cult of celebrity."

I'd go along with that 110%.
:kilroy: