PDA

View Full Version : just curious

hurricane3
July 22nd, 2011, 15:52
I have a 2 TB Seagate external HD for backup although it seems it might be easier to backup from the CD's I have becaus of the registery. Any way I have all my Flight sims backed up to the drive including CFS2 and although I don't make a habit of it cause I don't want to mess up the backups ,I found I can run all my sims except CFS2 from the external hd. CFS2 freezes at the start screen every time. I uninstalled it from the external drive ran my backup software(Microsoft Robocopy) and CFS2 still freezes. It's the only sim that does this.
Is it because of the file structure of CFS2? I have AC man to put all the extra planes in ,could that be why? When it freezes I control/alt /delete to get out and it has two entries ,one is Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator2 ,not responding and the other has just Combat Flight Simulator2 as running.
I thought that was the reason but CFS3 and FS9 also have two entries and their both running and run fine.
The sim runs normally from the desktop icon on the C drive. Any ideas why?

hurricane3
July 26th, 2011, 16:07
I found that CFS2 will run on my external hard drive if I do a clean boot (msconfig) must be something running in the backround that won't let CFS2 run but doesn't bother the other sims.

T Square
July 27th, 2011, 05:46
I have an external LaCie 2 Big Quadr 4 TB Drive, which I currently have all my Flight Sim stuff loaded on. This includes FSX, FS9, and 2 CFS2 installs, and have no problems at all running any of them. I am running Windows 7, 64. When I installed the flightsims the only thing different I did from normal is during install I directed them to E: drive, (My external drive) and created shortcuts, after install. Works fine for me, keeps my C: drive clean, and if my main puter crashes and dies (God forebid, but has happened) all my flightsim files are saved, if my external craters, I have my payware backed-up on other media. Everything else, I gave up on trying to make a backup of everything a long time ago. If I backed up everything on DVD I would need a room in my house just to store those, besides I have found that for example with Terrain Mesh, what was S***T Hot yesterday is old and dated today.

hurricane3
July 27th, 2011, 10:12
Cfs2 is the only sim that I have to run in msconfig,every other sim and there are lots run fine. I'am running Windows XP service pack 3 ,so there must be somethign running in the backround that doesn't like CFS2. Thanks for the reply