PDA

View Full Version : Looking for auto parts?

euroastar350
July 21st, 2011, 21:02
Don't go to Autozone, at least not for major components such as starters and alternators.

A year ago, the original alternator in my car failed while I was enroute to work. Lucky for me, a state trooper gave a lift to work in time. Me not being very wise decided to go to the nearest car part store to source out a new alternator for my car and autozone was the first place I got one and what a bad idea that was. A month after I had the new alternator installed, it went south and there I was wondering how to get the car back home in one piece. Lucky for me, a friend of mine was able to get out of work to help push my car home with his jeep. Story gets worse, I tried to return the defected alternator back to autozone and the salesman that sold the defective alternator told me that he never sold me the failed alternator and that I would have to shell out another $220 for a new or should I say refurbished alternator. That was the last time I bought ANYTHING from them. There is a car part warehouse not too far from where I live where I can buy brand new parts including alternators, although it is slighty higher in salesprice, it was worth it IMO.

Now if I ever need anything for my car, I go to any other parts store, the junkyard or as a last resort, the dealership (<----expensive, but worth it).

My current car is a 2000 Kia Sephia LS

So what did I learned from all this? Don't trust Autozone or any other place that sells refurbished starters/alternators as they will fail within a short amount of time, no matter how long it was placed in the vehicle. For me, it was in 1 month before it failed....YIKES!!!!

TARPSBird
July 21st, 2011, 22:02
I go to two Advance Auto Parts stores, one in my neighborhood and the other near my work. I've purchased batteries, a water pump, a radiator and numerous other items. Both stores have always treated me well. Major items you buy (alternator for example) are entered in their data base so there's no question of where/when you bought it and is it still under warranty. I bought a battery a few months ago and got a discount because the failed battery was still within warranty. I had my receipt but didn't need to show it because they had the old battery on record. I have also gotten good customer service from my local NAPA store but I don't visit them as often as Advance.

Allen
July 21st, 2011, 22:48
<o:p> </o:p>
Time for a dirty little secret. Changes are that alternator you got was just the same as <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">NAPA</st1:place></st1:City>, Kragen, O'Reilly etc. has. There are only one or two refurbisheder out there. They just put an alternator in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">NAPA</st1:City></st1:place> box on one production line and O'Reilly box on another. Just go to the place that has the best customer service. <o:p></o:p>
If you want a better refurbished part go to the dealership. The same part may be refurbished by the same refurbisheder that dose <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">NAPA</st1:City></st1:place>, Kragen, O'Reilly etc. but the dealership has higher standards.<o:p></o:p>
Next...<o:p></o:p>
Did you fully charge your battery before using the car? Alternators don't like to charge dead a battery. It can burn them up if you do so. Since alternator went bad you battery may go bad this winter. Both are tied together so if one fails it can damage the other.

Willy
July 21st, 2011, 23:32
Every warrantied part I ever bought at Autozone they took my name, phone number and other info. If the part went bad, it's in their computer and the warranty has always been honored.

That said, I don't go to Autozone much anymore. Too many people behind the counter that don't know anything but what their parts computer tells them.

euroastar350
July 22nd, 2011, 00:12
Battery was fully charged when the alternator fried on me. The problem with autozone was the poor customer service I got when I tried to return the faulty alternator and was told I didn't buy it from them which I did and they tried to get me to get another one at full price:kilroy:

JoeW
July 22nd, 2011, 00:45
Save all your sales receipts with the service papers for your car. That way you can prove you bought it there. Rebuilt alternators can last as long as a new one. That one that went out was probably going to go anyway. Alternators usually last about 75,000 miles and starters about the same. When one goes the other will follow shortly.
Again ........ save you sales receipt.

OBIO
July 22nd, 2011, 07:10
I've never liked AutoZone. I go to Advance Auto Parts or NAPA when I need car parts. The guys who work at the Advance Auto Parts closest to me are really good guys, they know cars, have great customer service. If that's not enough, there's a gal who works there too....and boy does she have an onion booty!

OBIO

Allen
July 22nd, 2011, 20:06
@euroastar350:

Okay just asking.