PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Kerosine

Willy
July 21st, 2011, 20:37
Decided to fly some old jets.

Took off from the USS Lexington (CVT-16) off of Pensacola in the Aeroplane Heaven F9F Panther and headed east across Florida to Mayport Naval Station in Jacksonville. Before I got back to the coast, the Panther developed a serious shake, so I made an emergency landing at Tyndall AFB in Panama City.

Needing to go on to Mayport, I "borrowed" a P-80 (AlphaSim) and proceeded on east. The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful although that Shooting Star is pretty slippery and hard to slow down.

OBIO
July 22nd, 2011, 07:19
Willy

I found that the best way to slow down the P-80 is to brush it against some trees, a mountain top or a chicken coup. I guarantee that the plane will shed airspeed real fast doing that.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
July 22nd, 2011, 08:35
Love both of those old strait wing jets.

"/" should get your air brakes out and into the windstream on both of those jets.

nigel richards
July 22nd, 2011, 09:38
Decided to fly some old jets.

Took off from the USS Lexington (CVT-16) off of Pensacola in the Aeroplane Heaven F9F Panther and headed east across Florida to Mayport Naval Station in Jacksonville. Before I got back to the coast, the Panther developed a serious shake, so I made an emergency landing at Tyndall AFB in Panama City.

Needing to go on to Mayport, I "borrowed" a P-80 (AlphaSim) and proceeded on east. The rest of the flight was pretty uneventful although that Shooting Star is pretty slippery and hard to slow down.

Beautiful shots, Willy. Those are some of my favourite kero lamps.

Now, get yourself a Virtavia F-4 and thump some air buddy! (icon:crate of ouzo for Willy:icon)

Willy
July 22nd, 2011, 12:32
No thanks on the ouzo. I learned my lesson last time around with that stuff. F-4 as in Phantom II? That thing is too new for my tastes. Very few jets made after 1950 interest me and most of those are tubes. And only a few of those.

Switched the F9F flight model from the Real Old Salt one back to the original AH one to see if it still gets the shakes at high speed. That'll give me some flying to do tonite with it. If the shakes are gone, I'll still have to test land it on a carrier. Good thing I've got a nice big one off the coast of Jacksonville....

:gameoff:

middle
July 22nd, 2011, 12:53
Nice paint, Willy! where'd ya get it? mid

Willy
July 22nd, 2011, 14:05
The P-80 is a default paint that comes with the aircraft. Morton has several more very nice paints for it here under his name in the archives, but the textures on his aren't reflective.

The F9F "Blue Tail Fly" paint I don't remember where I got it from, but the odds are here. I did a quick check on FlightSim but couldn't find it. I do know that it's an add on paint. For the longest time, I wasn't big on keeping readme files in my FS install to save HD space. I eventually got a much larger HD and started saving them so some stuff I have the info on and other older stuff I don't.

The Blue Tail Fly started out as a special F9F that Grumman was trying some new corrosion resistant treatment on bare aluminum and was sent out to the fleet for testing. It got it's tail badly shot up over Korea and they stuck on the tail from a standard Navy gloss blue Panther that the rest of the aircraft was shot up. BTF completed about a dozen combat missions before being sent back for permanent repairs.

Willy
July 22nd, 2011, 21:33
Did a bit more with the flight model than I originally planned. Copied over a bunch of ROS's bits into the original AH flight model. And it worked great! No more high speed shakes and it flies real nice. Carrier lands too! I might just have a new favorite jet fighter here.

Left Mayport and headed out to sea on a ADF frequency of 367.0 and soon picked up beacon. Just followed it until I saw the big boat and then settled into the pattern to land. Lined up on the deck, dropped the hook and set 'er down. Nothing to it.

Had quick coffee and donut in the Chief's Mess and was soon launching for the flight north.

Continued...

Willy
July 22nd, 2011, 21:38
....Cntd

Headed north to the South Carolina coast making land fall near Charleston and then it was on up into North Carolina and on to Norfolk Virginia. Swung a bit wide over Norfolk International and then lined up to land at the Naval Station. Nice flight in a really nice aircraft.