PDA

View Full Version : Installing Maskrider Scenery

T Square
July 20th, 2011, 12:47
Question: When installing Maskrider scenery packages, must you load each package seperately with it's own scenery config entry, or can you just make one folder named "MR Scenery" all combined in one file. It's been a long time since I have tinkered with CFS2, but I seem to recall that there is a limit on the number of entries in the scenery config file. By combining all of the packages in one file this would limit the number of entries to one. I hope I am making sense, I,m an "Old Fart" and have lost a little on the downhill slide, but things are starting to creep back.

bearcat241
July 20th, 2011, 13:30
TS, the scenery.cfg itself has no known limits, but the "all-knowing" database index files do seem to have their limitations regarding how much total add-on stuff is installed within the sim in every category, including scenery. These index files are the culprits that cause pop up errors and CTD's when you reach a certain threshold in the scenery category. And it doesn't matter whether you install all the MR bgl's in one bucket or in their separate folders, because the indices compute the gross number of bgl's altogether from every folder present. Since there's no hard number to give you on the allowable max, the safe bet is to separate your scenery by theater and/or timelines, creating different sim installations for these theaters. Or, you could just plunge ahead with all the various scenery installed in one sim and see how far you get to the breaking point.

T Square
July 20th, 2011, 13:57
bearcat241

Understand what you're saying, I currently have 2 installs one for "Combat Aces" (WWI) and a PTO install. Since Maskrider's files are pretty much PTO oriented that's where they are goin. This is why I was thinking just one folder, makes for a cleaner install, just my logic. However the draw back from lumping them in one bundle is the chance of conflicts with textures in particular. So I guess I will keep them seperate.

Thanks for the clarification :guinness:

simonu
July 20th, 2011, 14:09
should I say read Mask Riders readme files?
Not all his scenerys are compatable but he is very clear about what works with what.

T Square
July 20th, 2011, 16:22
simonu
should I say read Mask Riders readme files?
Not all his scenerys are compatable but he is very clear about what works with what.

Haven't installed any of them yet but I have started looking through them, kind of in the gathering stage at the moment. I like to get everything together first and review all the "Read-Me" files. I look for any extra needed files such as Mesh, object files, and other issues before I install to ensure I have everything needed. I hate to load something and find out that the one file you need to make it work, is lost in the great internet cosmos never to be found again.

Shadow Wolf 07
July 21st, 2011, 06:56
I would recommend keeping them separate in their own folders for upload into the Scenery Library. That way, if you want to take one or two out or replace them, you can do it easily.