PDA

View Full Version : Dving On The Japanes Carriers At Midway With VMSB-241

casey jones
July 20th, 2011, 12:26
I dedicate this mission to Jagdflieger he is a great man who has always tried to help everyone. Takeoff was 0555 Hrs from Midway, I lifted off in my SBD as I climbed out I could see Major Henderson headed overhead, at 0600 I lost sight of him. I had 3 other SBDs with meand one just ahead, I could see Midway crossing on my left wing, clouds were dark, at 0610 I spotted the Aeron Ward just ahead of my nose, the sun was coming up on my left . At 0745 Major Henderson warned of enemy planes ahead. I watched as he began descending and followed. Then I saw the first Japanese carriers just ahead and at the sametime I saw Zeros climbing to meet us, I started climbing to make my dive and armed my 500 lb and two 250 lb bombs, I went for the closest carrier to me lining up my bombsight and pushing over with dive brakes extended. I held it all the way down until the big red meatball on the deck filled my sight, I released at about 1500 ft, I could feel the SBD taking hits from the heavy flak..I think it was the Soryu, I pulled out right over the carrier...my bombs hit just and very close astern with a big explosionfrom the water, te zeros were all over me....it was too late my SBD caught fire and exploded...I never did see Major Noriss's Vindicators.

Cheers

Casey