PDA

View Full Version : The new Cessna Yoke (Saitek)

YoYo
July 20th, 2011, 11:44
http://www.saitek.com/cessna/

New idea with products from Saitek for FSX but with Cessna mark :mixedsmi: .
New trim tool looks very well.

Ty89m
July 20th, 2011, 12:03
Looks neat, but I'm going to assume it's the same design as the original but with the Cessna yoke. I ended up boxing mine up and purchasing a PFC Beech yoke, wow, you def. get what you pay for! Although that new Cessna trim wheel looks like something Id like to have :) Like the look of the new rudder pedals as well, but will prob save up for the PFC pedals instead. With the amount of money invested in this hobby, I just don't see why you wouldn't want the best controllers you could get, considering all the add-ons I've purchased over the years, I could've bought several PFC yokes haha. If anyone takes the plunge on the trim wheel, I'd be interested to see what ya think. Thanks

Ty

atf300
July 20th, 2011, 12:18
im definitely going to get the trim wheel .

flaminghotsauce
July 20th, 2011, 12:42
I think I'm going to get the trim wheel even though I have the Saitek Auto Pilot panel with the trim wheel on it. It's second up in the stack which is a long way from where a trim wheel oughta sit, and it's small. It'll be very nice to have a more proper sized device down low where it should be.

One thing of note with the Cessna Yoke is that is claims to turn 90 degrees. That's kind of important. The current Saitek yoke only turns what, 45 degrees? Having a full turn would be really, really nice.

spatialpro
July 20th, 2011, 12:58
I like the look of the trim wheel. Finally a proper size controller for one of the most important functions in fixed-wing flight, IMHO :applause:

roger-wilco-66
July 20th, 2011, 21:01
I had the Saitek Pro flight yoke and struggled with it for over a year (jittery axes, phantom keypresses, backlit display quit, etc...). It almost drove me mad. Who needs all this fancy electronics when its unrelieable. Replaced it with a simple old CH Yoke and never had a problem with it since then.

But I still have two Saitek throttles, which work flawless and look great (imho), and I surely get the trimming wheel to accompany them. In my opinioin a decent trimming device is one of the controls that has been overdue - until now. Now I just need a rudder / aileron trimmer for those big recip fighters!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave Torkington
July 20th, 2011, 21:10
I had the Saitek Pro flight yoke and struggled with it for over a year (jittery axes, phantom keypresses, backlit display quit, etc...). It almost drove me mad. Who needs all this fancy electronics when its unrelieable. Replaced it with a simple old CH Yoke and never had a problem with it since then.

Cheers,
Mark

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Saitek Pro equipment Mark. I've had their Pro Yoke and Rudder Pedals for a while now and no problems.

I'll definitely be getting the trim wheel, but can't find anywhere I could purchase it online in the UK. Any ideas folks?

Gdavis101
July 20th, 2011, 21:24
That trim wheel looks pretty cool, but I think I can take a piece of masking tape and write Cessna on it and stick on my Saitek yoke for the other affect..

Piglet
July 20th, 2011, 21:49
All yucky plastic, just like a real Cessna!:icon_lol:
One day I'm gonna take my Saitek yoke, and switch panel, gut them and put the electronic stuff in metal 1940's style housings, with those good ol' mil-spec toggle switches (like on my TM Warthog HOTAS). Now if I can score a surplus B-25 or Connie yoke....

roger-wilco-66
July 20th, 2011, 21:53
All yucky plastic, just like a real Cessna!:icon_lol:
One day I'm gonna take my Saitek yoke, and switch panel, gut them and put the electronic stuff in metal 1940's style housings, with those good ol' mil-spec toggle switches (like on my TM Warthog HOTAS). Now if I can score a surplus B-25 or Connie yoke....

Ahhh, great, that's right up my alley :-) :-)

Cheers,
Mark

spotlope
July 20th, 2011, 22:12
Holy crap! I checked out the price of that yoke... looks like Cessna's demanding a cut of those things just like they do with sim models of their stuff. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay 200 bucks for mine.

That trim wheel does look pretty tasty, though.

CodyValkyrie
July 21st, 2011, 00:11
http://www.goflightinc.com/store/images/gflgtII_466x500.jpg

Vested interest. :D

http://www.goflightinc.com/store/gflgtii-landing-gear-trim-control-module-p-123.html

S (http://www.goflightinc.com/store/gflgtii-landing-gear-trim-control-module-p-123.html)orry. I'll go away.

I'll admit, that Cessna logo does look very nice on there!

Dain Arns
July 21st, 2011, 04:15
Would think it would come with this throttle quad instead... :kilroy:
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/tpm.html

kilo delta
July 21st, 2011, 04:54

There's an alternative driver package for the Saitek Pro gear...though I can't remember what it's called and where it can be found.:kilroy:

I've the Saitek Pro Yoke,throttles and switch panel...but have gone back to using my old trusty MS Sidewinder Force Feedback as it takes up less space on my desk, and it make helicopter flying a lot easier.:icon_lol:

AndyE1976
July 21st, 2011, 05:12
Like the look of the trim wheel, although that GoFlight panel looks like it would be a nice option too. I currently use joystick switches to trim a notch at a time, but it's often tricky to find just the right amount.

MarkH
July 21st, 2011, 08:47
There's an alternative driver package for the Saitek Pro gear...though I can't remember what it's called and where it can be found.:kilroy:

SPAD (http://fstools.weebly.com) makes the panels work better (marginally - they're still shockingly-expensive tat) but doesn't do anything for the yoke.

FLighT01
July 21st, 2011, 09:13
im definitely going to get the trim wheel .

Absolutely, been waiting for something like this forever. I've got to figure out if it will integrate okay with the rest of my gear which is all CH.

Naismith
July 21st, 2011, 10:51
SPAD (http://fstools.weebly.com) makes the panels work better (marginally - they're still shockingly-expensive tat) but doesn't do anything for the yoke.

I think that is unfair, the hardware is OK and not all that exxy compared to rivals. The software is flakey though.

atf300
July 21st, 2011, 11:26
Absolutely, been waiting for something like this forever. I've got to figure out if it will integrate okay with the rest of my gear which is all CH.

sure will since its just an extra axis .

mfitch
July 26th, 2011, 20:14
My trim wheel arrived today (yes, I was impatient and ordered it right away). I have only done a couple test flights, but I like it. The motion feels right: large motion of the wheel is required for small motion of trim.

An amusing (now that everything is working) side effect is that assigning it in FSX requires twirling the wheel a while so FSX thinks the axis has been moved.

Since all of my switches are working using Saitek's SST (needed for the Cessna style TPM) and I have new planes to fly (Avenger mostly right now), I am a very happy simmer.

roger-wilco-66
July 26th, 2011, 22:26
My trim wheel arrived today (yes, I was impatient and ordered it right away). I have only done a couple test flights, but I like it. The motion feels right: large motion of the wheel is required for small motion of trim.

An amusing (now that everything is working) side effect is that assigning it in FSX requires twirling the wheel a while so FSX thinks the axis has been moved.

Since all of my switches are working using Saitek's SST (needed for the Cessna style TPM) and I have new planes to fly (Avenger mostly right now), I am a very happy simmer.

Thanks for the report! I also think the price is right for that. It's really a steal for what you get. I have to go and get that thing.

Cheers,
Mark

LouP
July 27th, 2011, 17:46
I've got a few of the Saitek stuff and made a custom layout for them :)

mfitch
July 27th, 2011, 21:18
I've got a few of the Saitek stuff and made a custom layout for them :)

Nice setup. I am working on a new shelf to handle my hardware (not enough room on the desk).

atf300
July 30th, 2011, 15:34

did you try using the trim wheel with FSUIPC?

mfitch
July 30th, 2011, 20:41
did you try using the trim wheel with FSUIPC?

I don't have FSUIPC (paid mode).

OleBoy
July 31st, 2011, 02:28
Slightly OT. But, considering the amount of money I have invested in this flight simulator stuff in the past years to date, last weekend I come across something that was very lonely tied down in a grass field. A Cessna 152 that the grass was almost as tall as the height of the wings. Sat there for years and years along side another 152 of which two friends purchased the airport many moons ago, and had the same likes in rides. One of the owners died, and then his C152 was sold years back. But the other, well, there it sat all tattered, likely infested with mice over the years, upholstery rotten etc. I'm considering looking into the purchase. If not for a rebuild project, then maybe a lawn ornament if the price is right. Who knows. Just pondering thoughts for the time being.

LouP
July 31st, 2011, 07:22
Slightly OT. But, considering the amount of money I have invested in this flight simulator stuff in the past years to date, last weekend I come across something that was very lonely tied down in a grass field. A Cessna 152 that the grass was almost as tall as the height of the wings. Sat there for years and years along side another 152 of which two friends purchased the airport many moons ago, and had the same likes in rides. One of the owners died, and then his C152 was sold years back. But the other, well, there it sat all tattered, likely infested with mice over the years, upholstery rotten etc. I'm considering looking into the purchase. If not for a rebuild project, then maybe a lawn ornament if the price is right. Who knows. Just pondering thoughts for the time being.

For the record, I would take that deal over my FS set-up any day of the week. Nothing like actually getting up in the air for real. I have even toyed with the idea of an ultralight just to get up in the air for real. :salute:

LouP :icon29:

roger-wilco-66
August 9th, 2011, 03:54
Hi,

I tried to get that trim wheel, but to no avail :-((( . It seems like it is only sold in the USA and Canada. Unfortunatly, Gameshark US doesn't seem to sell them outside the States.
Does anyone know another source for this?

Cheers,
Mark

atf300
August 9th, 2011, 07:31
i guess no trimming in europe yet :( , i'm in the same boat as you.