PDA

View Full Version : UTX or GEX

b52bob
December 9th, 2008, 20:13
I hate to say this, but ,my new computer is on it's way and I will probably go to the dark side with it (but FS9 will always be there).
My question is: what's the best scenery add=on, Ground enviornment or Ultimate terrain?
Thanks guys and hope to be flying the FSX skies soon.
Bob

bkeske
December 9th, 2008, 21:05
They do two different things, work well together, and IMO are both 'must haves'.

UT depicts accurate terrain and terrain features like shorelines, ponds, rivers, roads, railroads, lighting, modifies traffic, etc etc etc.

GEX is simply textures.....well, I say "simply", but they are much improved over the defaults.

And....Don't forget a good landclass as well to make everything work even better together. I am partial to Cloud9 myself, but also have SceneryTech, FSGenesis, and the landclass included in UT.

Gdavis101
December 9th, 2008, 21:17
Agreed, get both!

harleyman
December 10th, 2008, 02:29
No question here....BOTH............:wavey:

dswo
December 10th, 2008, 02:51
A different opinion: if you have to choose, start with UTX. The default textures are already pretty good. UTX will fix and add things that textures don't touch.

jmig
December 10th, 2008, 04:54
I agree with David. However, before any of them, I would get the new version 2 of FSGensis mesh. It is the foundation for everything else.

FLighT01
December 10th, 2008, 05:05
I agree with David. However, before any of them, I would get the new version 2 of FSGensis mesh. It is the foundation for everything else.

Yep, both are essential. If it's a question of only being able to get one now and one later, I'd go UTX first, GEX second.

harleyman
December 10th, 2008, 05:20
Oh yea...I almost forgot....

Just as Jmig said....FGgenesis mesh is a very nice touch...And Justin can use the sales to help keep his head above water in this economic dissaster....:jump:

And as he said the Mesh is such a great backdrop for GEX and UTX......Along with his free Landclass.....

FLighT01
December 10th, 2008, 05:21

Yes, this would be #1 if you intend to get upgraded mesh at all, although I'm also happy with Pilots mesh on my old box. I do have FSG2 Mesh awaiting FXS install on the new box. MESH, UTX, GEX, Scenery Tech (for landclass), FEX or XGRAPHICS (or both, LOL) with ASX. Lots of other choices as well and some new stuff coming from ASX & FEX (possibly too) shortly, and of course REX was just released, and I also really like what FSWC does for water in FSX and they've got a new version (free too! imagine that), and we got ... well, it just boggles the mind. One step at a time, but keep in mind there is no 12 step program, no "intervention" available, no such thing as a "recovering" flight simmer. Once you go through that add on door, there's no finding the path back to it!

harleyman
December 10th, 2008, 06:13
Once you go through that add on door, there's no finding the path back to it!

Ain't that the truth......:banghead::censored::costumes:

wildcat400
December 10th, 2008, 08:30
I would get the new version 2 of FSGensis mesh.

Hey John,
Are there settings in that that I need to adjust and set like UTX?

bkeske
December 10th, 2008, 09:08
No settings on mesh per se. The only thing you will want to do is move your mesh setting slider to 10m in FSX. Mesh simply gets installed in the various 'main' FSX scenery folders. Nothing else is required.

b52bob
December 10th, 2008, 19:17
Thanks guys...I ordered them both
Bob

MudMarine
December 10th, 2008, 20:08
You won't be sorry! Both are just the right combo.

guzler
December 11th, 2008, 00:27
I have just looked at the FSG2 mesh. Depends where you fly, as the resolution for Europe is the same as the default (76m), so that has put me off buying it as that is where I do most of my flying.

Can someone explain why you would set your mesh resolution to 10m when the mesh is 76m ? I'm a little confused