PDA

View Full Version : Update - for Fun,

Ali Cat
July 16th, 2011, 16:46
I have not chimed in lately but I have been busy and the last few days have been interesting. I thought some might (?) like an update. I've been working on that “Your First Gauge” tutorial so I needed some artwork. I should not have done it because so much artwork is available but I did anyway. I made my first serious attempt at creating my own. Here is the gauge background at this point.

For the drafting of the tutorial I wanted a word processor that could make PDF's. After some research I downloaded OpenOffice. I can report that with this application I am very pleased. I am hammering at the tutorial and I have yet to read the first line of a help file – it seems just intuitive. Here is an excerpt from the tutorial to be via OpenOffice.

Happy CFS2'ing,
AC

simonu
July 17th, 2011, 08:51
Looks interesting, Ali Cat takes us step by step setting up a C compiler, some people have an aversion to working on a Command line but I am looking forward to studying this AC. Cheers.

Jagdflieger
July 17th, 2011, 13:47
Love to see creativity at work.

Ali Cat
July 17th, 2011, 18:49
Thanks for the kind words. It's an interesting project and I am enjoying it a great deal.

Simonu – on the command line/IDE issue. In case someone doesn't know IDE stands for “Integrated Development Environment – basically a windows application used to assist writing code. I've given a great deal of thought on whether to write the tutorial using an IDE. Originally, I planned to use one but then doubts crept in. I have succeeded in building a gauge with the Eclipse IDE and this is one very nice tool. It's just that I keep thinking of my target audience which is the non-coder. The command line route is simple and direct. For now I decided to go with command line though I'm still not sure which is best. Anyway, it's a place to start and I can always write a tutorial using Eclipse if the interest is there.

AC

Shessi
July 18th, 2011, 14:38
Great stuff AC, really looking forward to this.

Good to start simple and then build on that. At least with cmd line, WYSIWYG!

Shessi

BTW nice looking gauge.

Ali Cat
July 21st, 2011, 14:33
Enthusiasm shot – thanks man. And from one who packs high caliber …

On the painting “thingy” I'm still very humble. I've learned more and I'm getting better but still what some of the masters here can do – well awe is a good word.

And I did say for fun, right? Here's another excerpt.

AC

aeronca1
July 22nd, 2011, 08:35
Excellent! I'm really looking forward to the finished product given that I'm a "propeller-head" coder myself.

On your decision to go command-line, I think it's a good decision. As people progress in their coding skills, they develop personal preferences and an IDE is definitely in this category. I tried several before I settled on my current setup, but having said that, I still look at everything new to see if I can do better.

Ali Cat
July 22nd, 2011, 13:45
“propeller head” coder – I like it and yes I have to admit it I LOL'ed.

Thanks for the post and also always good to meet a fellow coder. The project is taking longer than I thought (don't they always) but it should be weeks rather than months. Beyond the challenges of the task there's this God awful heat wave. As I work outside some evenings there just isn't much left. Not to worry though – we're very careful and are surviving it down here in the deep south.

Ready for September,
AC