PDA

View Full Version : What I bought myself for my birthday...

Wittpilot
July 16th, 2011, 13:38
So I have been slowly trying to get into the RC hobby... It is kind of hard since I don't really have a club real close, or one that I really want to join actually, and don't have anyone I know that is into it.... So I am trying to teach myself everything which is proving rather difficult sometimes....

Well I have two 55" Cessna Airplanes from a website.... had a Piper cub too that was destroyed instantly (it was a crappy model) and so I wanted to get more into the Parkzone products. They are more $$, but I think they are overall better models, and you can always get parts.... So I found a good deal on eBay and got this baby for $99... It came with everything you need, & the seller threw in an extra battery!

I bought that real late Wed. night and it came today! Opened up the box, put the battery in, & was flying in like 15 min!!! She's a lot of fun, much diff than the 55" models I have....

Anybody have any of the parkzone micro series?
-witt

CP1207
July 16th, 2011, 16:17
2 questions-

1- as someone who crashed lots of RC planes many years ago, how well does this fly for uncoordinated pilots?
Available at a local hobby store and boy have I been tempted...

2- any idea who has been flying a B-25 over the Lake Erie Islands the last couple of weekends? Been a bit high and far to get a good ID.

Thanks!

Wittpilot
July 16th, 2011, 16:49
2 questions-

1- as someone who crashed lots of RC planes many years ago, how well does this fly for uncoordinated pilots?
Available at a local hobby store and boy have I been tempted...

2- any idea who has been flying a B-25 over the Lake Erie Islands the last couple of weekends? Been a bit high and far to get a good ID.

Thanks!

1) I am not really sure how to describe it's flight characteristics since I'm so new to the hobby! What is nice is that it weighs nothing, and I mean nothing....which means you need to fly in NO wind... It can be pretty touchy, but it also can be pretty smooth... What is nice, is if you see yourself heading for the ground pretty quick, it has the capability to get out of that pretty quick. Also, it has gear which is removeable and if you find someplace with some tall grass you are good to go. Or you can land on the gear.... If you decide on getting one, let me know and I'll let you know the name of hte seller on eBay that I got a good deal from....

2) Well, I'm not too familiar with the B-25 scene, but I would bet my next paycheck it is the beauty recently (Apr 2011) sold to a museum in Port Clinton.
If you have FB, check here... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liberty-Aviation-Museum/179817112057270

Did that help at all?

CP1207
July 16th, 2011, 17:08
Yes. Thanks on both counts.

I started with a rudder only RC plane with the rudder flapping constantly back and forth and control input would cause it to flap more to one side than the other and give you some semblance of control. I eventually got okay with a 3 channel system and a reasonably slow plane if I flew out of a big enough area. If you could PM me with the eBay info I would appreciate it.

I'm guessing you are correct on the ID. Port Clinton airfield in about 10 miles away from where our boat is. I'll try to be closer to the binoculars next time it is near.

MAAM's B-25 spent a number of months at Freedom Field in Medina OH back in the late '60s after being used as a camera ship for some Hollywood pictures. Painted all black except for the nose art. I've got some B&W pics somewhere of it that I really need to find and send along. Kinda been hooked on Mitchells since.

Wittpilot
July 16th, 2011, 17:13
If you are hooked on Mitchells, then you need to make sure you will be down here a ways next April when we hope to have 25 B-25's at Grimes Field for the 2012 Doolittle Reunion!!! If you didn't see my post from April 2010, it is worth a look.

I actually flew into Port Clinton several years ago in Liberty Belle... I will have to find some pictures for you....

Here is the link for the exact one I got... Like I said, I got the plane in 2 days!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290582380466&category=34053&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

-witt

CP1207
July 16th, 2011, 17:14
Oh I bookmarked the B-25 link and cleared the date back when you first put it out there...:salute:

Wittpilot
July 16th, 2011, 17:22
Nice......

If you are into vintage aviation, there is a nice show this coming weekend not too far from you....

I have been going for about 10 years now... and it is definitely the best show around....

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

stormtrooper271
July 16th, 2011, 20:02
If you are hooked on Mitchells, then you need to make sure you will be down here a ways next April when we hope to have 25 B-25's at Grimes Field for the 2012 Doolittle Reunion!!! If you didn't see my post from April 2010, it is worth a look.

I actually flew into Port Clinton several years ago in Liberty Belle... I will have to find some pictures for you....

Here is the link for the exact one I got... Like I said, I got the plane in 2 days!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290582380466&category=34053&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

-witt

There's going to be another Doolittle Reunion next year! :applause::applause:

Also check out Parkzone's other ultra micros, there is a very nice corsair that I have been looking at since it came out.

http://www.parkzone.com/

CP1207
July 18th, 2011, 13:04
Thanks guys!

The airshow is within range...
Parkzone.com will get me into trouble too...