PDA

View Full Version : Using Auto Mix?

Barnstorm
July 16th, 2011, 11:41
This is my first attemp at an on-line poll, so any feed-back is welcome.:kilroy: After flying OFF P3 for two+ years, I kinda got lost with all the cockpit control options in the AVH Mods.

Best regards

Frosty
July 17th, 2011, 01:19
I use one of the rotary switches on my throttle to adjust the mixture.

italflyer
July 17th, 2011, 04:29
I use one of the rotary switches on my throttle to adjust the mixture.

Me too, there should be a third choice in the poll!

On my Saitek X52 I have a slider for mixture, a rotary for the prop and another for the elevator trim. Whish I had two other rotarys for rudder and ailerons trim, would make live (eh I mean flying) a bit easier.

NachtPiloten
July 17th, 2011, 06:54
Only use manual for carburetor planes.

Barnstorm
July 17th, 2011, 07:57
Thanks everyonefor replying to the poll. Not sure what I was doing in setting it up.
I was just wondering how many folks selected the "Auto-Mixture" in the 'Realism' Options.

Interesting NachtPiloten..... may I ask why you only manully adjust carb fed A/C?

NachtPiloten
July 17th, 2011, 09:08
Well most of the fuel injection planes, did not need mixture adjustments.

Barnstorm
July 17th, 2011, 16:45
Duh, should have seen that one coming.:salute:

popsaka
July 17th, 2011, 17:06
...I always thought you could eck a smidgeon more performance in manual...
...Also it seems that only Ted's flight models correctly represent the auto-mix with fuel injection, but I'm prolly just imagining this...

ndicki
July 17th, 2011, 23:50
Ted is of course right - most WW2 aircraft had automatic mixture control, so when you're flying one of those, then it's only logical to set it to automatic. Some however did not - mainly American and earlier British aircraft, if I remember rightly - and so there, if ever I do fly one, I set it to manual with a slider on my HOTAS set-up. So I ticked 'manual' in the poll as I use both.

Barnstorm
July 18th, 2011, 14:59
Great info, Guys...Thanks.

This ties in with my other post regarding AVH Flight Mod info or spec's. I am comfortable reading/editing CFS3 files from uploading A/C and Missions and find most of the info can be located in the aircraft.cfg file, like flap settings and related damage/blowout speeds, as well as much tech data on the powerplant.

This is from a bf109f-4f, by Bill "Spitfrind" Wilson, workbook V2.83.64

Under the [piston_engine] section: (several enteries skipped)

fuel_metering_type=0
tubocharged=1
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0
auto_ignition=0

Since it does have Auto-start and no TC, I take it "0" in Binary = yes (?) I do not know. Can you tell if this A/C is carb or FI from the data provided? And, this may sound very basic, but is the data format in the aircraft.cfg file standardized. For instance, the Binary Num used to designate an American FI A/C would be the same as for a German FI A/C? How to find the key to the .cfg file?

Regards....

Daiwilletti
July 18th, 2011, 16:31
Hi Barnstorm, I wonder if you might get more detail if you take a look at the air files. The cfg files are a summary of the air file, as I understand it. A bit like the relationship between bmp and xdp files.

Do you have an air file editor? From memory, mine is called "AirEd.exe".

There is also a cfg file editor called fs9cfgEd.exe. I don't know if this works for cfs3. And anyway, Notepad does the trick for cfg files.

There is probably guidance on the cfg in the aircraft and vehicle SDK?

cheers,
D

Barnstorm
July 18th, 2011, 16:39
Hey thanks, Daiwilletti. I will try and locate those tools, thought I only want to decifer the code, not edit-it (I hope). Just trying to figure out what data the "0"'s and "1"'s refer to....

Best regards,

greycap.raf
July 31st, 2011, 13:45
Can you tell if this A/C is carb or FI from the data provided? And, this may sound very basic, but is the data format in the aircraft.cfg file standardized. For instance, the Binary Num used to designate an American FI A/C would be the same as for a German FI A/C?

Yes, yes, and yes.

That aircraft is fuel injected - as a Bf 109 should - as fuel_metering_type = 0 means injection while 1 means a gravity carburettor (most early war aircraft) and 2 an aerobatic carburettor (late model Spitfires and Mustangs for example).

You can also check the emergency power of the model in question, emergency_boost_type = 0 means no emergency boost, 1 means water injection (mostly late American radial engines), 2 means methanol injection (German engines) and 3 means simple overboost (mostly Allied inline engines) - and it's worth noting that while both of the injection boosts can be used at any throttle position and are engaged until they're disengaged overboost requires 100% throttle and is disengaged as soon as you back off the throttle.

The Aircraft.cfg doesn't "know" the nationality of the aircraft, it only provides parameters. It knows which aircraft it provides those parameters for but that's it.

popsaka
July 31st, 2011, 14:35
...okay, but how can you tell how long to run methanol or water injection before there is engine damage? :mixedsmi: (inquiring minds want to know) ;-)

(Did the poll really wind up at 50-50?)

greycap.raf
July 31st, 2011, 15:51
Don't know about others but I use it for tight situations as much as is necessary and hope the entire thing doesn't blow up just yet... in reality the five to ten minutes (depends on the aircraft) of emergency power is a lot unless you use it all the time.

NachtPiloten
July 31st, 2011, 15:53
That depends on some models its about 5 minutes on others like the Ju88S about 15. You'll need to read up on that to get the correct figure for each engine/plane combination.

popsaka
August 1st, 2011, 07:28
...so its configured differently in each and every air file? ...and where in which file can one find (and edit) this here data?

NachtPiloten
August 1st, 2011, 10:45
It is in the cfg file under piston engine:

emergency_boost_duration = 450
which is 7.5 minutes

You have to manually edit this even though you may use a program to write your airfile.

popsaka
August 2nd, 2011, 14:44
...thanks Ted. Here's another one: In mission files it lists pilot skill 1 2 or 3..
So who's the better dog-fighter, number one or number 3?
BTW thanks in advance.:mixedsmi:

HouseHobbit
August 2nd, 2011, 17:09
In the missions that is for;
Rookie=1
Veteran=2
Ace=3

Eraser
August 3rd, 2011, 05:15
When something is a yes/no or on/off in binary (or nearly any code really), 1 is always yes or on and 0 is always off or no.

popsaka
August 3rd, 2011, 06:23
...thanx kids :salute: ...as I was staring into space I remembered another one: In some missions there will be a constant directional wind... how and where is this configured? (I'll be danged if I can find it)

Daiwilletti
August 3rd, 2011, 18:42
Hi Popsaka,
aren't there specific weather xml files for some missions? You could always specify wind stuff in the weather file.

D

popsaka
August 4th, 2011, 03:50
Hi Popsaka,
aren't there specific weather xml files for some missions? You could always specify wind stuff in the weather file.

D

...hey, mate. That's what I would have thought too, but after flying a windy mission I looked in the weather file mentioned in the mission heading and no joy...
...plus, you know how certain clouds toss your aircraft around? Where and how would the physics be configured for that(?) -possibly its related.

Daiwilletti
August 4th, 2011, 15:14
Okay, thats got me curious. turns to 250Gb HDD backup drive and riffles through files....here's something out of a File under the Weather folder in MAW - for an Italy Tour mission....

"<Weather Name="ItalyTour Mission Weather">
<BackgroundWeather precipType="HeavyRain" skyboxCloudType="BrokenClouds" MaxAltitude="0" MinAltitude="1000" fogColor="4288332017" Windspeed="0" windDir="0">"

The last two entries are where you specify wind speed and wind direction. As you say they will be constant, unless the mission calls for one of the dynamic weather files to make things fun.

Haven't heard of any editable code for turbulence. The stuff about cloud turbulence is presumably hard coded. However I wouldn't mind betting that the turbulence effect only applies to certain cloud types (like cumulus) coz when I fly up through some cloud layers thers no turbulence effect.

So fer example (sorry couldn't resist your parlance) if a mission specified clouds of the thick and chunky type and you flew through them I assume you'd get turbulence.

:icon29: D

popsaka
August 5th, 2011, 22:04
...Thanx for cool response, mate. One related phenomena is what I've come to think of as the CFS3 gravity kwirk -that is things like sliding backwards rather violently or having the aircraft rest precariously on one wheel... I finally found restarting the mission gets rid of it. -tho' discovering this remedy took years! :icon_lol: