PDA

View Full Version : how would one find the history of???

Daveroo
July 10th, 2011, 14:16
How would one find the past history/use of an aircraft?...id like to findout what the story is on the P2V(?) PV2? Harpoon that was at the airshow..it had plates rivited over what seemed like gun ports in the nose,,had bomb doors that appeared like the old 4 door air tanker doors...also there is a larger connection..looked like a fire engine 2 1/2 inch supply connection.i didnt see it,but was told by a Cal Fire FF that when it landed friday,they all thought it was going to crash,"it bounced and banged its way all the way down the runway,,"

Daveroo
July 10th, 2011, 14:19
ive got this much,,,,but seems its not updated?..who knows..i sure dont

<tbody>
Serial Number
Type Registration
Corporation

Manufacturer Name
LOCKHEED
Certificate Issue Date
12/30/2008

Model
PV-2
Expiration Date
06/30/2013

Type Aircraft
Fixed Wing Multi-Engine
Status
Valid

Pending Number Change
None
Type Engine
Reciprocating

Date Change Authorized
None
Dealer
No

MFR Year
Mode S Code

Fractional Owner
NO

Registered Owner

Name
EVERTS AIR FUEL INC

Street
5525 AIRPORT IND RD

City
FAIRBANKS
State
ALASKA

County
FAIRBANKS DIV
Zip Code

Country
UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer
P & W
Classification
Limited

Engine Model
R-2800-31
Category
None

A/W Date
02/10/2011

</tbody>

Zoren
July 10th, 2011, 14:21
http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N6657D

Try here to see what they say about it...

<edit> oops, sorry you posted just when I was going to too...

Zoren
July 10th, 2011, 14:26
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38160

Found this forum that was the place that got the plane to what you saw today. Might be more info there.

Bomber_12th
July 10th, 2011, 14:43
Yes, the last link will tell you all about the aircraft! It is very exciting the transformation it is going through.

It is under restoration to full-stock, original military configuration, and will be painted overall dark-glossy Navy blue, just as it originally was in 1945. Right now the stars & bars are just a temporary hold-over, until the restoration is complete, so that they can continue to fly it to airshows as progress is made. When finished, it will be very, very complete, and just as it was when it was in operation in 1945.

Daveroo
July 10th, 2011, 17:26
Yes, the last link will tell you all about the aircraft! It is very exciting the transformation it is going through.

It is under restoration to full-stock, original military configuration, and will be painted overall dark-glossy Navy blue, just as it originally was in 1945. Right now the stars & bars are just a temporary hold-over, until the restoration is complete, so that they can continue to fly it to airshows as progress is made. When finished, it will be very, very complete, and just as it was when it was in operation in 1945.

Bomber? do you know where its based now?..and good info thanks,,it flew over my house after having left nevada county this morning,7-10-11,the D18 el toro was with it i believe as there were two twin engined radial powered A/C that went over,,i just am not sure if it was the D18 or the lockheed 12 that was at the show,i see in the warbird exchange page that the D18 "el toro" was there when they got the bomber from the airfield and it is allways at the local airshows giving rides here in northern california,good deal to..$60.00 usd for 20 minutes ( at yuba county,they had a waco for 15 minute rides for $ 200.00,and a ride in a P51 for $450.00 for 10 minutes or two circles around the field.)

Willy
July 10th, 2011, 17:40
From what I was reading in the WIX thread, I'd say it's probably based in Stockton.

There's just something about those old Harpoons....

robert41
July 10th, 2011, 17:54
Impressive videos and pics. Always enjoy seeing an old aircraft brought back to life.

Bomber_12th
July 10th, 2011, 18:00
The D18 and the Harpoon are both owned by the same group, who specialize in D18, twin-engine warbird, and other WWII-era restorations. And they are indeed based in Stockton.

Their website, and all that they do, can be found here:

http://www.twinbeech.com/

On the left side of the page, you can find direct links to pages all about their Harpoon restoration, and all of the other items and projects they are involved in.

(Taigh Ramey, who runs the show, also helped a great deal in providing information and photographic resources to Milton's AT-11 project)

norab
July 10th, 2011, 20:38
You can also check Joe Baugher's site for US military aircraft and their serials and often disposition of the aircraft. invaluble reference site

http://www.joebaugher.com

Daveroo
July 11th, 2011, 06:06
You can also check Joe Baugher's site for US military aircraft and their serials and often disposition of the aircraft. invaluble reference site

http://www.joebaugher.com

wow..thats a great website...answered alot of questions i have about tail numbers and coding...thank you norab

airattackimages
July 11th, 2011, 06:42
There were a handful of them as air tankers during the 60s and early 70s... it could have been. :)

TARPSBird
July 11th, 2011, 17:57
Daveroo, here ya go:
http://www.twinbeech.com/84062navyhistory.htm
Back in the day Litchfield Park, AZ was a storage area for retired and surplus USN/USMC aircraft, much like Davis-Monthan is for all services nowadays. The PV-2's went right into storage after WWII and stayed there until they got pulled out for use as fire bombers. That plane will look real good when it's back to warbird configuration.

Navy Chief
July 12th, 2011, 16:48
Daveroo,

For more information, you might try contacting the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola.

ebuehler.navalaviation@mchsi.com

No specific person, just address your email, asking for information on that aircraft. The museum has several volunteers who do researching for requests. They have been very helpful to me over the years!

NC