PDA

View Full Version : One for the Effects 'Gurus'.....

phrog_phixer
July 10th, 2011, 04:25
Need some advice here. These are the bullet hits I see in one of my installs:
So.....obviously it's a texture issue. The weapon used is AvHistory_gb_gun_hispano_mk5. However, it does show up with others.
From the pics, could anyone narrow down which texture is at fault?
I noticed some fxtextures are DXT3 and some are DXT5. Which is the best format?
Is there an xml editor which can find duplicate fx title entries in in the effects.xml?

Daiwilletti
July 10th, 2011, 14:01
Hi Phrog_fixer,
As you say, its probably a texture issue. The AvHistory Hispano Mk 5 round is a shell rather than a bullet in the weapon's xdp file, but I'm not sure what that means for displaying damage textures. Presumably CFS3 chooses cannonhole textures when shells hit an aircraft?

How many cannonhole.dds files do you have in the Shared folder in the Aircraft folder? In the install I've looked at I have 6 cannonhole textures, sequentially numbered.

D

Daiwilletti
July 10th, 2011, 14:08
Sorry, I should have looked at the pictures. I thought you were talking about damage to an aircraft! Ignore that prior thread. Its interesting that some sort of texture is being called for the damage to the building. A bit like the crater texture used for larger shells.

If you take a look at the effects listed in the mk5 round in the Weapons folder, then you can do a search of the effects.xml for those effects, in Notepad. Under one of those effects it looks like a texture is being called for that is missing from the install.

Hope someone has encountered the problem before and knows the exact problem.

D

phrog_phixer
July 10th, 2011, 17:28
All called for textures are there. I'm having a difficult time determining which one's alpha isn't correct. I guess I could copy, rename and narrow the faulty texture down that way....

popsaka
July 10th, 2011, 21:02
...hey, mate. Are you opening these textures in Martin's ''dxt2bmp''?
...'cause with it you can see the alpha...(?) :mixedsmi:

phrog_phixer
July 13th, 2011, 18:26
Got 'er fixed folks! Thanks for the great ideas! It was a fxtexture alpha issue and I ended up learning alot about the effects.xml.

Daiwilletti
July 13th, 2011, 22:30
Congrats! Whose fxtextures were you using? The AvHistory ones, or an ETO version?

Any idea what happened to the alpha layer?

Certainly looks a lot better now.

D

phrog_phixer
July 14th, 2011, 12:23
The texture without alpha was named **_bullet_spark.dds (the ** denotes the developer). Why it had no alpha is beyond me, since I hadn't modified it.