PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure it all out!

andersel
July 9th, 2011, 22:07
I haven’t turned my desktop machine on for 3 or 4 days. The HD is, to all appearances, and based on the sage advice & comments of my SOH brethren, on it’s way out the door of operative existence. I’m terrified that if I turn it on even once it will fail catastrophically and that I will thus lose EVERYTHING! At least the last time it was running the HD was still turning. I’m trying to get my financial ducks in a row so that I will have the necessary $$$ to have multiple WD Caviar Black (500/630 gb + 1 tb HD) internal HDs installed in my rig + a 1tb WD external . I’ll have to pay someone to do it for me because my hands shake so bad ( I TAKE A LOT of MEDS!) that I can’t do any fine work of that sort. I may be grounded for another week, maybe two. I’m on the LT right now. I don’t want to load FS on to this computer, so I guess I’ll be lurking around SOH (and elsewhere) for a while. Thanks again to all the worthies that contributed to my scant knowledge base. TTFN. :wavey: LA

hairyspin
July 11th, 2011, 13:00
Ouch. Hope you get running again soon, external USB drives are a godsend if the HD will last long enough to transfer things across. :wavey:

Willy
July 11th, 2011, 14:44
Yep, I recently bought a pocket sized USB drive that holds 500g to back up all my FS stuff into.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=440

aeromed202
July 11th, 2011, 15:50
When mine did the ERK, the trolls at Best Buy salvaged every file I wanted for I think around $70. What they needed was folder names and I was able to remember most of them. Now every so often I take screen shots of the directories so I have all the folder names, with the images going to the external HD.

OBIO
July 11th, 2011, 16:29
andersel

At times like this, I wish I had the power of teleporting. I would zap myself to your house and put those HDs in your system for ya and transfer your files from the sickly HD to the new ones. I am not a guru, but I know enough about puters that I handle all the system repairs and updates for the extended family. Every time I can save them the insane amount that the Best Buy "Geek Squad" charges, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My brother-in-law's mom recently asked me to work on her laptop and her desktop and get them running smoothly again and get the printer working wirelessly. I did it all and only asked for gas money for the trips back and forth to their house....she insisted on paying me $100....which was $50 less than Geek Squad would charge for making a house call....and that is before they even started working on the systems.

OBIO

andersel
July 11th, 2011, 22:08
:banghead: Thanks all! Well, I’ve got a basic plan. All I need now is the scootage to implement it. I’m pretty sure I’ve figured out how to get it , but it’ll require an expedition deep into the bowels of the banking system to attempt retrieval of money I put there several years ago, when I was a working stiff. Listen, if you don’t hear from me in a month or so, send in the Marines. TTFN LA