PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printer

Willy
July 9th, 2011, 16:55
This is pretty cool. I want one!

http://biggeekdad.com/2011/07/3d-printer/

Wonder if you can run a FS 3d model through one? If so, I want either a Beech 18 or a Boeing 307 Stratoliner.... ;)

Daveroo
July 9th, 2011, 17:13
Jay Leno has one of these printers...makes parts for his old cars.....pretty cool

OBIO
July 9th, 2011, 17:22
Would make photocopying your butt a lot more fun!

OBIO

pilottj
July 9th, 2011, 18:53
heh yeah well even just taking the 3D image into the computer is awesome...would make FS modelling a helluva lot easier...just scan a plastic model of a plane and there you go...

Wing_Z
July 10th, 2011, 15:19
Wonder if you can run a FS 3d model through one?The printer is driven by a 3D file - I'm pretty sure there is software out there that exports just about anything to the right format.

I've printed off an Autocad DXF file, no problem.

CWOJackson
July 11th, 2011, 07:38
The printer is driven by a 3D file - I'm pretty sure there is software out there that exports just about anything to the right format.

I've printed off an Autocad DXF file, no problem.

Yes. These "printers" have been around for some time. Our local HS has had one in the industrial arts building for some time. They use it "mostly" in conjunction with an Autocad class where students can fabricate their final design project and be able to see/handle the final result.

The system they use is capable of importing a wide range of 3D files and the actual operating cost (for a school) isn't that expensive.