PDA

View Full Version : Great movie

Ickie
July 8th, 2011, 14:56
<TBODY>
The First of the Few (1942)
53 TCM: Friday, July 8 5:30 PM
1942, NR, **1/2, 01:57, B & W, English, United Kingdom,

British aircraft designer R.J. Mitchell (Leslie Howard) develops the World War II Spitfire with his test pilot (David Niven).

Cast: Leslie Howard, David Niven, Rosamund John, Roland Culver, Anne Firth, David Horne, J.H. Roberts, Derrick de Marney, Bernard Miles, Patricia Medina Director(s): Leslie Howard

</TBODY>

Roger
July 8th, 2011, 15:39
Yep,
Great movie:applause:

brad kaste
July 8th, 2011, 15:52
It's too bad R.J. Mitchell never lived long enough to see what his Spitfire could do in combat. However,....I'm sure he knew inside that it was a fighter of par excellence.

Flyboy208
July 8th, 2011, 18:02
Never heard of this Film, sounds very interesting ... Mike :salute:

SpitXIV
July 8th, 2011, 18:12
I've got to see this one, you can guess why? May be it's out on DVD. I missed the show.

TARPSBird
July 8th, 2011, 23:43
You can view it on several websites, including YouTube. Just do a search with the title. Also on DVD from Amazon.co.uk.

Ickie
July 9th, 2011, 05:19
until yesterday i thought i knew the story of the spitfire and it cleared things up, I had never seen this movie before and really enjoyed it.
I was under the impression Mitchell went to the USA and started Mitchell aircraft, but found this was incorrect. I wish i would have recorded it to watch at a later date for more facts.
In the 30's and 40's British made movies were the best. I really like TCM for bringing them back to life.

Ickie
July 9th, 2011, 05:23
I was wondering is there was a movie about the building/history of the Hurricane?

Crusader
July 9th, 2011, 06:37
until yesterday i thought i knew the story of the spitfire and it cleared things up, I had never seen this movie before and really enjoyed it.
I was under the impression Mitchell went to the USA and started Mitchell aircraft, but found this was incorrect. I wish i would have recorded it to watch at a later date for more facts.
In the 30's and 40's British made movies were the best. I really like TCM for bringing them back to life.

I could not agree more with you Ickie . I have never seen this movie before . Just got through watching it on You Tube . 30's and 40's British movies are indeed in a class of their own .

Rich