PDA

View Full Version : Ito's BV 138

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 10:19
Very unigue flying boat. Well modeled externally, the VC is nice enough. The usual "problems" existed in the original configuration....turbo prop engines, turbo prop gauges.

Well....using the FDE set from Payakan (Richard van Hein)'s BV138 for FS2002, I have Ito's 138 running diesel piston engines now. The plane flies real nice....has the roll rate of an elephant (slow, slow, slow banking)...not sure if this is accurate or not but it sure makes the plane feel different than any other plane I have flown in the sim. I have the 2D panel regauged with piston engine gauges (German ones no less), still have to regauge the VC. Working on a sound pack for the bird....I have no idea what a Jumo 205 diesel aircraft engine sounds like...I am working toward something totally unique sounding for this plane. Need to add lights and stuff.

Hopefully, once I get my work done and this and uploaded, someone with real FDE skills can tweak it to make it better.

OBIO

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 3rd, 2011, 13:51
this "baby" was hard to fly. Maybe thats the reason that it never "went to service" :kilroy: But I also still love it !!!

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 17:55
The VC is regauged, though I have some sizing and position work to do yet. Added in a pop-up window for Engine controls, starter buttons and fuel gauge and selector. Still need to add in a radio stack (will borrow the default C-172 stack) and a GPS window.

Made a few tweaks to the FDE that resulted in a better take off behavior and landing behavior...though the bird still wants to turn to the right at the beginning of the take off run and as it slows down after landing.

I had the bird up at 19,700 feet for a top speed test. At that altitude with a full load of fuel (800 gallons currently) but with no crew members or passengers (the BV138 had a 6-man crew and could carry up to 10 passengers), the plane maxed out at 137knots indicated. I have no idea how that relates to the published top speed of 275Km/hour at 6000meter or 171MPH at 19,700 feet.

Flying the BV138, it feels like a heavy plane...and with an empty weight of 17,680 pounds and a max loaded weight of 32,400 pounds, that's just how it should fee.

OBIO

PeteHam
July 3rd, 2011, 19:23
171 MPH = 148 Kts

Pete.

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 20:59
So, at 19,700 feet with 800 gallons of fuel to be 11 knots too slow...that's pretty much close enough. I'm not going to worry about trying to dial that number in.

OBIO

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 4th, 2011, 07:31
this "baby" was hard to fly. Maybe thats the reason that it never "went to service" :kilroy: But I also still love it !!!

failure by me... Of course the BV went in service ! :kilroy: sry What I had in mind was a report about the prototype. Here you find the story about the BV 138 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_BV_138 and also here is a nice site http://home.swipnet.se/our_stuff/Planes/BV138.htm .

A.

Jagdflieger
July 4th, 2011, 10:07
Hard to say what the crews actually though of it, but their nickname of "The Flying Clog" (Der fliegende Holzschuh) may be indicitive.

Whatever the actual opinions of it were, it ought to be fun to fly about off of the German coast.

The Discovery Channel has a program from the 90s under the "Wings of the Luftwaffe" banner about German flying boats. I'd like to see it again as it's been years since I've seen it.

falcon409
July 4th, 2011, 17:39
Hey OBIO, if you haven't done anything with the cockpit bitmap, I'd like to do an update to that with sharper gauge faces and, switches and such. Basically a whole new panel. I was also going to revamp the frames as the rivets appear way too big when sitting in the cockpit. Will probably redo the floor and side panels as well.:salute:

OBIO
July 4th, 2011, 17:47
Falcon

The only thing I have done to the cockpit textures is to paint out the painted on gauge bezels on the VC panel to make room for the improved gauges I put in place. It isn't lovely, but it's better than the stock version.

OBIO

falcon409
July 4th, 2011, 18:59
Oki doki then!:salute:

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 5th, 2011, 05:40
Hey OBIO, if you haven't done anything with the cockpit bitmap, I'd like to do an update to that with sharper gauge faces and, switches and such. Basically a whole new panel. I was also going to revamp the frames as the rivets appear way too big when sitting in the cockpit. Will probably redo the floor and side panels as well.:salute:

A great idea :applause: ! But whats about a new sound, or a better sound ? I have found Richard Alexander van Hien's B&V yesterday. Nice soundfiles included, unfortunatly I can't hear them ingame

Greets
Andi

OBIO
July 5th, 2011, 06:40
I am working on a sound pack for the BV138. I have no idea what the Jumo 205 diesel engine sounded like, so I am creating something that is totally unique sounding to use on this plane.

OBIO

I just checked out the sound files that came with Richard's BV138. The external sounds are really neat. I may just use those four files as the basis for a new sound package.

gaucho_59
July 5th, 2011, 08:22
Falcon

The only thing I have done to the cockpit textures is to paint out the painted on gauge bezels on the VC panel to make room for the improved gauges I put in place. It isn't lovely, but it's better than the stock version.

OBIO

I have redone the texture for the 2D cockpit... in case you are interested I can let you have it for inspiration or use...42242

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 5th, 2011, 11:22
Maybe this gives you an idea of the real cockpit ?

falcon409
July 5th, 2011, 17:58
Here are a few WIP shots. The first is with the panel slightly transparent to show what I still need to replace. Not easy since none of it is very readable. The other is with the panel showing the actual color. I have since added the "Radar" screen (that's what I'm calling it for lack of any other description).

OBIO
July 5th, 2011, 18:17
Falcon

The new VC panel looks great....except for 1 tiny thing...well, a number of tiny things actually. The gauge bezels. The gauges I am using to redo the 138 have the bezels as part of the gauge....so having the bezels and holes painted onto the panel bmp makes getting everything lined up a real chore. Is it possible to do up a bmp without the holes and bezels? nd without the painted on flap control and fuel selector. That way I can place real working gauges there....clickable from the VC even.

Paint kit progress: Wings, done. Tail booms, done. Fuselage, done. Panel lines at least on these areas. No rivets...and problably won't do them as they will most likely get stretched out of proportion to the lines.. Got a lot more lines to lay down before I am ready to sling paint. But I have some profile pics saved already for that time.

OBIO

falcon409
July 5th, 2011, 18:39
Falcon

The new VC panel looks great....except for 1 tiny thing...well, a number of tiny things actually. The gauge bezels. The gauges I am using to redo the 138 have the bezels as part of the gauge....so having the bezels and holes painted onto the panel bmp makes getting everything lined up a real chore. Is it possible to do up a bmp without the holes and bezels? nd without the painted on flap control and fuel selector. That way I can place real working gauges there....clickable from the VC even. . . . . . .OBIO

Yep, all that is on overlays anyway OBIO.:salute:

gaucho_59
July 6th, 2011, 13:50
Here are a few WIP shots. The first is with the panel slightly transparent to show what I still need to replace. Not easy since none of it is very readable. The other is with the panel showing the actual color. I have since added the "Radar" screen (that's what I'm calling it for lack of any other description).

Here is another version... more in tune with the BW photo of real one42464

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 6th, 2011, 14:00
looks MUCH better !!! :applause:

Volker Böhme
July 6th, 2011, 21:03
Hi,

could you give me a download link, please?

An interesting point of the BV-138 were the Diesel engines which gave it a long endurance. This could be even improved by refuelling from U-boats at sea. It would require very calm sea conditions and take-off weight would be lower than for a catapult take-off, and probably was not performed very often, but at least some were fitted with a device to strain water from the diesel fuel when refuelling from ships.

Best regards,
Volker

Cees Donker
July 6th, 2011, 21:06
Nice work gaucho!

Cees

falcon409
July 7th, 2011, 02:22
Here is another version... more in tune with the BW photo of real one42464
Gaucho, why don't you just go ahead and do the VC as well. That way everything else matches. I won't get mine done for a while and I have other things I'm working on besides this.

gaucho_59
July 7th, 2011, 08:02
Gaucho, why don't you just go ahead and do the VC as well. That way everything else matches. I won't get mine done for a while and I have other things I'm working on besides this.

I am not really familiar with the "know how" of VC construction... but willing to learn...
I can do textures for sure... if you send me the textures I can work on that....
right now, I am further refining what I did on a more realistic view (using the original manual's picture of the "office"...
I would really like to learn how to do VCs... especially now that luxury of detail is not "frame rate" problem with the newer more powerful computers...
So, if you get me the basic layout of the textures for the VC, I'd be more than glad to do it..
As you know, I am retired military and got plenty of free time...

OBIO
July 7th, 2011, 08:24
gaucho

Head down to the Skinning forum here on SOH. There is a nice beginners tutorial on working with texture files....the VC bmp is a texture file and is formatted differently than the 2D panel background...which is just a normal bmp file. Once you have read/studied the skinning tutorial and downloaded DXTbmp and its required dll files (both by Martin Wright and needed to work with texture files), you will find that painting vc panels is almost as easy as painting 2D panels.

The new 2D panel you did looks great! Except for the painted on bezels and holes. There are a couple sets of nice German gauges available to use....and they both have the bezels as part of the gauges. Using a copy of the 2D and VC panels with the bezels helps to get the gauges in the proper factory location, but if the gauge is not exactly lined up and sized to the painted on bezel, then the overall look of the panels is deminished. Painted on bezels are superb for those times when you are using gauges that do not have the bezels as part of the gauges.

OBIO

falcon409
July 7th, 2011, 10:11
I am not really familiar with the "know how" of VC construction... but willing to learn...
There is so VC Construction involved, the VC panel is in the texture folder, labeled "cockpit.bmp" I think. Just use the art you have already done and replace the VC textures. Pretty simple.:salute:

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 7th, 2011, 10:21
I have searched the whole afternoon for more cockpitdetails... sry these informations are very rare... But I've found something maybe interesting for repainters ? ;-)

Greets Andi

gaucho_59
July 7th, 2011, 15:20
There is so VC Construction involved, the VC panel is in the texture folder, labeled "cockpit.bmp" I think. Just use the art you have already done and replace the VC textures. Pretty simple.:salute:

Oh, OK... will do...
Here is the other version (from the aircraft manual sketch) I am working on... let me know which one suits the purpose better... This one is not finished yet... needs more switches, etc.

SgtT
July 7th, 2011, 15:36
All I can say is WOW! Great job!

T.

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 7th, 2011, 17:33
THIS looks great gaucho !!! :applause: huuuuuuh !!! OMG cant await to see the final result of the B&V

Here is a little more stuff for repainters ;-) Unfortunatly I have no time to make repaints.... And a lot of guys are much better as me to do this job ;-) ... still have to do some work at C-160 "Transall"

OBIO
July 7th, 2011, 17:38
gaucho

The revised panel looks amazing! There is one problem with it: Too many places for gauges. Unless we were to know exactly what all those gauges were, and could either find working sim versions of them or program working sim versions of them...it can be hard filling all those gauge holes. Sometimes it is necessary to reduce the number of gauges in order to end up with a panel that is too cluttered with gauges or left with unfilled gauge holes.

OBIO

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 7th, 2011, 17:40
Hi,

could you give me a download link, please?

An interesting point of the BV-138 were the Diesel engines which gave it a long endurance. This could be even improved by refuelling from U-boats at sea. It would require very calm sea conditions and take-off weight would be lower than for a catapult take-off, and probably was not performed very often, but at least some were fitted with a device to strain water from the diesel fuel when refuelling from ships.

Best regards,
Volker

Moin Volker,

Die B&V 138 findest Du auf den gängigen Seiten, Hier wird grade upgegradet und verbessert auf "Teufel komm raus" ;-) Na warten wir das "Endergebniss" ab... Wird ein Superding , wenns fertig ist ;-)

LG
Andi

hawkeye52
July 7th, 2011, 17:46
OBIO, I found a "Fix" by Ricardo Jones for Ito's Sturmovik:

sturmovik_fix.zip 329KB at Flightsim

"I've made extensive modifications to the Aircraft and Air files, specially to the engine configuration, and I include .gau and a .bmp files to be inserted in the plane's Panel folder. I've also modified somewhat the plane's flying characteristics as well as the Panel.cfg file by adding and changing some gauges there.
As for sound, I've aliased it to an Supermarine Spitfire but you can change it to any other similar engine sound you may have in your fs9 game or in the last resort, to the dehavilland_comet.
The plane is a bit heavy, specially on the ground and lots of power should be applied first on take off, gradually reducing power once it lifts off. It should be airborne at around 85 kts.
Good flying!"

Ricardo Jones,
BA, Argentina.
Feb. 12, 2011.

- H52

Whoopsadaisy! Wrong thread.
Will an administrator kindly move this post to:
"Has anyone does tweaks for the following Ito aircraft? (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?55243-Has-anyone-does-tweaks-for-the-following-Ito-aircraft)"

OBIO
July 7th, 2011, 19:32
No harm, no foul. It's fine Hawkeye. I don't know how to move your individual post...so I'll just leave it here.....the fix package you mentioned was already mentioned in the other thread...but that's okay too....can never have too many instances of shared knowledge. Do greatly appreciate your involvement in bringing Ito's wonderful planes into a more polished state so that they can be enjoyed for many years to come.

OBIO

gaucho_59
July 7th, 2011, 23:14
gaucho

The revised panel looks amazing! There is one problem with it: Too many places for gauges. Unless we were to know exactly what all those gauges were, and could either find working sim versions of them or program working sim versions of them...it can be hard filling all those gauge holes. Sometimes it is necessary to reduce the number of gauges in order to end up with a panel that is too cluttered with gauges or left with unfilled gauge holes.

OBIO

Thank you for your comment... when I'm through... I am going to paint in some dummy gauges and leave the holes for the few important working gauges... like aircraft attitude, IAS, etc.
Should get a semi-finished product for the 2d panel... with appropriate panel.config file... I am working on the VC textures right now... matching ITO's vc to the colors and set up of the 2D panel...should get them done fairly quicky and test them...
Next I am going to work on the skinning...
I did some skinning textures some time ago for this bird... have to look it up in my very large reservoir of unfinished projects... might revise them or used them as is (they were very good in my estimation...mmm) we shall see...
Question... how large a bmp does this model accept? would like to improve on the details as well as the livery... Let me know if you have an answer...

OBIO
July 8th, 2011, 06:31
gaucho

Ito's BV138 is mapped to the largest size possible in FS9, which is 1024 by 1024. You can enlarge the texture sheets to 2048 by 2048 to add in more detail, but you have to reduce it back to 1024 by 1024 before using it in the sim....and there goes all the nice clear detailing you added. Poof! So, it is best just to work in 1024 by 1024 and add those details that will remain clear and sharp in that size.

OBIO

Volker Böhme
July 8th, 2011, 07:15
Moin Volker,

Die B&V 138 findest Du auf den gängigen Seiten, Hier wird grade upgegradet und verbessert auf "Teufel komm raus" ;-) Na warten wir das "Endergebniss" ab... Wird ein Superding , wenns fertig ist ;-)

LG
Andi

Moin Andi,

found it, after looking again.. Thanks a lot.

Volker

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 8th, 2011, 10:27
A good site for Luftwaffe instruments http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/ and http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/instru.htm Maybe it's helpfull ? Both sites are also in english ;-) Unfortunatly no material about the 138 :-(

Greets Andi

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 8th, 2011, 11:47
Okay my last ... Maybe this picture is better to recognize some instruments ??? I don't know ?

pooooh !!! :kilroy:

gaucho_59
July 8th, 2011, 14:15
gaucho

Ito's BV138 is mapped to the largest size possible in FS9, which is 1024 by 1024. You can enlarge the texture sheets to 2048 by 2048 to add in more detail, but you have to reduce it back to 1024 by 1024 before using it in the sim....and there goes all the nice clear detailing you added. Poof! So, it is best just to work in 1024 by 1024 and add those details that will remain clear and sharp in that size.

OBIO

I don't know what program you use for your graphics... I use PSP X3 and the latest Photoshop... though I prefer PSP... I have found that none of the detail is lost... check some of my postings... if you work on 8 bit ... open the texture you have on the model (usually Ito is on 256 colors... and with a poor paint program to boot... that is why I usually remake all his textures for my use).... convert it to 8 bit, replace with one's detailed new texture, save... reopen and change to 256 again... works fine... Here is some preliminary work I am doing on the Bv 138... as an example of how it works out...

gaucho_59
July 8th, 2011, 14:24
A good site for Luftwaffe instruments http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/ and http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/instru.htm Maybe it's helpfull ? Both sites are also in english ;-) Unfortunatly no material about the 138 :-(

Greets Andi

This site looks very promising... however... maybe one needs to register before being able to see their stuff... ???

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 8th, 2011, 15:42
maybe.. I was just searching. All the instruments you can see without registering. But yep, one needs registering for further details ... any probs with that ? Lemme know pls.

OBIO
July 8th, 2011, 18:10
gaucho

That looks great. I work with Photoshop 7.0. I have enlarged textures to 2048 by 2048 to add in more details (such as labels, warning text...that sort of stuff) and it just turns to an unrecognizable blurr when resized to 1024/1024. Lines, rivets and such are pretty safe.

I work in 32-bit 888-8 format only when saving through DXTbmp. This format has the least compression and color/clarity loss.

OBIO

gaucho_59
July 8th, 2011, 18:55
maybe.. I was just searching. All the instruments you can see without registering. But yep, one needs registering for further details ... any probs with that ? Lemme know pls.

I didn't see any instruments... how did get to them?

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 9th, 2011, 04:51
I didn't see any instruments... how did get to them?

Its a little bit difficult, indeed. First switch to english language. Than search at the left site for an entry "misc Equipement" / "instruments" thats for the second. also the first site should work like this. After you have found instruments klick on them ... Not easy to explain for me sry. But I hope it was helpfull ??? At the first site search for equipement catalogue, klick on it and onesmore at the next appearing site. At the left, klick what you are searching for. sry for my bad english !

A.

gaucho_59
July 9th, 2011, 18:48
Its a little bit difficult, indeed. First switch to english language. Than search at the left site for an entry "misc Equipement" / "instruments" thats for the second. also the first site should work like this. After you have found instruments klick on them ... Not easy to explain for me sry. But I hope it was helpfull ??? At the first site search for equipement catalogue, klick on it and onesmore at the next appearing site. At the left, klick what you are searching for. sry for my bad english !

A.

ahh, yes indeed... I got some nice german instrument dials at this site.... you were right.. a very good find... I put them all in the same scale and can surely use them...

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 10th, 2011, 09:14
Hey looks good ! On one of both sites you can also enlarge the instruments by klicking.. cant remeber wich of both :kilroy:

Can't await the final result ! :applause:

Greets
Andi

gaucho_59
July 10th, 2011, 18:18
Nice work gaucho!

Cees

Here is a repaint I started for Mike Stone's Sabreliner... I tried it on the model... and it shows all blurried and without detail... Do you know what causes this? Is it because of the original MDL with reflective surfaces? What do I need to do to make it show as I repainted it?43086

aeronca1
July 11th, 2011, 08:08
Whenever I find graphics are blurry, I load them into DXTBmp, and re-save them without MipMaps. That usually solves the blurries.

OBIO
July 11th, 2011, 08:33
I e-mailed the replacement FDE set, revised panel and prop blurs to Quax for testing. I have to contact the orginal maker (Payakan) of the original FDE files I used to get his permission to upload them in modified form. Hopefully by week's end, the 138 will be a much more usable plane for all.

OBIO

gaucho_59
July 11th, 2011, 08:52
Whenever I find graphics are blurry, I load them into DXTBmp, and re-save them without MipMaps. That usually solves the blurries.

I am not familiar with the term MipMaps... can you enlighten me...
I usually open the file with DXTBmp, send it to PSPX3 , work on it and save it ... then PSP closes and I am in DXTBMP... ask for an after edit opening, and save as the original extended bmp...
How do I save WITHOUT these blessed MIPMaps...
Also, I keep seeing mentions to FDE files... (I am lousy with acronyms)... what are they? I am an experienced graphics artist.. but relatively new to the sim world...
Visit my site: http://westwood.fortunecity.com/chanel/132/index.html
and see some of my work...
Thank in advance

OBIO
July 11th, 2011, 09:05
gaucho

On the right side of the DXTbmp window, there is a box for Alpha Channel, and below that there is a box for MipMaps. Make sure that those two boxes are NOT checked. MipMaps are lower res versions of the main texture file that are generated and encoded into the saved file and displayed by the sim at various distances and angles. Back in the day when systems were not so powerful, mipmaps helped preserved frame rates...but are not needed but on the oldest and slowest systems today.

FDE means Flight Dynamics Elephant (not sure what the E stands for and elephant is what my alphabet book showed for the letter E). Basically, it's the aircraft.cfg and air file for a plane. Those two files dictate the way the plane flies and behaves in the sim. FDE work is a mix of science and Voodoo, or at least from my way of thinking it is.....I can only produce a decent FDE set when I sacrifice a bucket of chicken wings, a 6-pack of ice cold lager and at least a pack of full flavor cigarettes.

OBIO

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 11th, 2011, 09:37
@ OBIO, testet a few hours ago and sended my feedback by email. All I can say is, much better as the "original" :applause:. Sorry Ito! Only one or two little tweaks needed for my opinion.

Greets Andi :salute:

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 11th, 2011, 11:10
Oh, painting with "DXT bmp". ... a little "experience report" by myself .... Never save the "Texture file" in DXT3 as long as you work on it. It'll bring blurrys by every changing and saving (Was a hard way to finish my Turkish Stars Transall) better save as 32 bit until you have YOUR final result. This one save as DXT3. ... May this will be helpfull ???

Greets Andi

gaucho_59
July 11th, 2011, 13:10
gaucho

On the right side of the DXTbmp window, there is a box for Alpha Channel, and below that there is a box for MipMaps. Make sure that those two boxes are NOT checked. MipMaps are lower res versions of the main texture file that are generated and encoded into the saved file and displayed by the sim at various distances and angles. Back in the day when systems were not so powerful, mipmaps helped preserved frame rates...but are not needed but on the oldest and slowest systems today.

FDE means Flight Dynamics Elephant (not sure what the E stands for and elephant is what my alphabet book showed for the letter E). Basically, it's the aircraft.cfg and air file for a plane. Those two files dictate the way the plane flies and behaves in the sim. FDE work is a mix of science and Voodoo, or at least from my way of thinking it is.....I can only produce a decent FDE set when I sacrifice a bucket of chicken wings, a 6-pack of ice cold lager and at least a pack of full flavor cigarettes.

OBIO

I did as you suggested... minus the MipMaps... and it worked very well... the Sabreliner now really looks good... now I seem to remember those mip things... in the old CFS 1 textures... so that the plane looks right at different distances from the point of view... right? At any rate... it worked fine... and btw... I don't have any problems with that continuing deterioration of the original... I used to... but I started working on a PSP file for the finishing... instead of the original itself..and then put it over the DXT file ... so everytime I open the original is still pristine... (as the last repaint of change) because my reworked texture is a brand new PSP each time... (also keeping the originals in PSP helps with repaintings... like code numbers, roundels, details, etc. are in specific different layers..and all I have to do is change the basic color scheme... or put a natural metal finish and add the same or different details,codes, national insignia,etc.

napamule
July 13th, 2011, 06:19
FDE is NOT F.D. Elephant (or Elepant 'Ear', either- hehe). It's Flight Dynamics EDITS. What I do 24/7. But it made me laugh, so thanks for the yoke.
Chuck B
Napamule

napamule
July 13th, 2011, 12:07
Obio,
Here is the cnt pt set, with floats, along with pontoons that 'splash' water. You need (Effects) section and I included it. I also gave it 'wheels' so you can negotiate on land. Heck, you can take off and land it just like a normal wheel plane (it's not real-I know). And, since it has gear (that give off sparks) I put a 'dummy' extension in effects ('.boo) so it don't spark on land. Also I included a (Flaps) section that works well with this model. Just got finished (1Pm) as it's 'trash day' and also my Better Half is getting some minor surgery on her neck (I told the Doctor the 'problem' was higher up-hehe) so had to stop tweaking. Went well. One note: how do you guys fly warbirds with most of the cfg missing? I just can't imagine how it must be. I need to get in there and make some 'spec' FDEs for you guys. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

[contact_points]
point.0= 1, 25.99, -5.00, -6.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 40.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1= 1, 25.99, 5.00, -6.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 40.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2= 1, -15.99, -4.90, -6.50, 1574.80, 1, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 3, 0.0, 0.0
point.3= 1, -15.99, 4.90, -6.50, 1574.80, 2, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0
//
point.4= 4, 16.00, -3.00, -4.44, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.5= 4, 16.00, 3.00, -4.44, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.6= 4, -16.00, -2.50, -4.44, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 20.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.7= 4, -16.00, 2.50, -4.44, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 20.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//
point.8= 4, 2.50, -30.80, -4.65, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.9= 4, 2.50, 30.80, -4.65, 1574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
max_number_of_points = 21
static_pitch=0.000000
static_cg_height= 6.00
gear_system_type=0 //0=Electric, 1=Hydraulic

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks.boo
touchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1

[flaps.0] //Trailing Edge Flaps
type=1
span-outboard=0.5
extending-time=5
damaging-speed=139
blowout-speed=149
flaps-position.0=0
flaps-position.1= 6, 139
flaps-position.2=12, 133
flaps-position.3=19, 128
flaps-position.4=25, 123
flaps-position.5=32, 117
flaps-position.6=38, 112
flaps-position.7=45, 107
lift_scalar=1.0
drag_scalar= 1.0
pitch_scalar= -0.495 //1.0
system_type= 0 //o=4 //0=Electric, 1=Hyd, 2=Pneu, 3=Manual, 4=None

gaucho_59
July 14th, 2011, 09:23
I did as you suggested... minus the MipMaps... and it worked very well... the Sabreliner now really looks good... now I seem to remember those mip things... in the old CFS 1 textures... so that the plane looks right at different distances from the point of view... right? At any rate... it worked fine... and btw... I don't have any problems with that continuing deterioration of the original... I used to... but I started working on a PSP file for the finishing... instead of the original itself..and then put it over the DXT file ... so everytime I open the original is still pristine... (as the last repaint of change) because my reworked texture is a brand new PSP each time... (also keeping the originals in PSP helps with repaintings... like code numbers, roundels, details, etc. are in specific different layers..and all I have to do is change the basic color scheme... or put a natural metal finish and add the same or different details,codes, national insignia,etc.

I am putting the finishing details on the 2d and VC... as well as new textures for this bird... however... it flies like a bum! Have you tweaked the (now I know the meaning... lol) FDE? If so, could I have a copy of them?

OBIO
July 14th, 2011, 11:35
I just attached a copy of the FDE set over in another thread...will attach it here too.

OBIO

Navtech
July 14th, 2011, 15:52
Napamule

Cnt Pts with Floats

Thank you :salute:

napamule
July 15th, 2011, 11:56
Navtech,
You are welcome. I also worked on the FDEs and just need to find out how to do an attachment of zip on here (like Obio did). Never done it. When I find out how I will post FDEs for several of Ito's models. Been working on them past 2 weeks, one after the other, and am not done yet. Phew. What a month it's been. But very productive and very satisfying.

I like Ito's sense of humor. He probably KNEW we would be having a hard time with the FDEs. He threw us (me) several 100 mph curve balls with the way the models are put together, but that just made it more fun. He has a smirky grin in his picture that I saw of him. I now know why. Clever little 'devil' that Ito. But a GREAT modeler. All good.

Obio,
I got, and tried your FDE's, but I like mine better. I want to attach the BV-138G FDEs in a zip here. Is it the same as posting a picture? Help me out here. I have FDEs for C-27J Spartan, Fi-156C Storch, BV-170, Fi-167 Fiesler, Me-410 Hornet,
IL-2 Stormovik, JU EF-112, and the BV-138G ready to go. I only need to make a readme for each with 'How To Fly' tips. They are all 'easy', but some have 'extra' features such as spoiler, or even reverse thrust, extra flaps, etc. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Just say the 'Valid File Extension' list, so I'll Zip them up and I'LL BE BAAAACK.

napamule
July 19th, 2011, 12:27
Finally finished the FDEs for 'UHU'. But these are the turbo-prop (jet) engined version. Just for demo/fun as they are intense. Hold on to your Bippy with this one. The piston version is WIP and should be another 4 days (?-hehe).

(Am trying this method for 'upload' as the upload needs to be at host site? Will look into it. No matter. The important thing is that you get the files. Right? Right. Hope you enjoy them.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 19th, 2011, 14:18
I tried downloading RV HIEN (PAKAKAN) BV 138 and there's no sound and the panel doesn't show. Whats up with that? The files are all there, any ideas?

SgtT
July 19th, 2011, 17:05
Could you tell me where you downloaded it from?

Thanks,

T.

napamule
July 19th, 2011, 22:33
Hurricane,
The cfg is circa 2007 and is missing 'ui_' lines (as it is done for CFS). Simply open the aircraft cfg and insert these lines. Change the variation to whatever you like. The quote marks allow use of 'special characters' in name. Here it is:

ui_manufacturer=Blohm & Voss
ui_type="BV-138G" //or, "BV-138MS"
ui_variation="default" //or, "Mine Sweeper"

And the reason your panel or sound don't 'show' is that he has double folders in path (ie: 'BV-138\Aircraft\BV-138'). So look for panel and sound under 'BV-138' under '..\Flight Simulator 9' folder. Move them over to the main BV-138 folder and now they should 'show'.

Chuck B
Napamule
PS: Been working on FDEs for it and should be uploading zip (as attachment) probably tomorrow (it's too late already). But it the model by Ito. Will work on model by Richard Alexander van Hien later this week. Am swamped with 'Summer' chores.

SgtT
July 20th, 2011, 01:19
Does anyone know where I can find the model from Richard Alexander van Hien?

Thanks,

T.

AndyG43
July 20th, 2011, 01:46
Does anyone know where I can find the model from Richard Alexander van Hien?

Thanks,

T.

He has a lot of stuff over at Flightsim (also some here in the archive, he goes by the name Payakan at the Outhouse). Although nominally his models are for FS2002 many of them work perfectly well in FS2004, with little or no tweaking.

hurricane3
July 20th, 2011, 04:59
I got my BV 138 at FlightSim.com ,there are two models, a mine sweeper and recon types.

hurricane3
July 20th, 2011, 05:54
When I installed the plane , I counldn't find any double folders , there was only the single BV 138 folder and couldn't find any thing under panel or sound that was double.

napamule
July 20th, 2011, 08:27
Hurricane,
I went and tweaked a cfg and added my air file to a zip. Click to download. Start over and put orig air, plus my cfg and air in there and fire it up. Should be much better.

The problem is that these files were from back when (2007) and for FS2000, with the air file writing the sections for a aircraft.cfg. It can still be done, but it's really 'crude' business. Nothing like a hand made cfg.

The way the panel= and sound= is written in the (FlightSim.0) section you will NEVER get a panel or sound, due to use of 'path'. This is 'ok' if everyone's install is the same (ie: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 ). If you installed in D: drive, for example, that 'path' will not 'compute', so no panel or sound. Or if you installed to C: but directly under root (ie: C:\Flight Simulator 9) then you will have the same thing.

My air file has entries to co-incide with fact that I gave it WHEELS so you can go on land. It's optional as you have to press 'G' to extend/retract. You have a choice. But one needs some entries in air file for them to work. One is spoiler. The other is auto pilot (I gave you both in MY air). But his worked good. So you can use his and not use mine. Or both (hehe). Here is the zip. Click on zip icon to download.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 20th, 2011, 14:34
Good job napamule , I put in your air and new config file and the planes panel shows up fine.Even has a bit of a vc panel right and left and you can pan around the cockpit. I didn't like the sound only being there from inside and it would go away when you flew so I alised it to the Ford Trimotor and now I got a three engine sound on the land water or in the air, inside and out. May not sound like a diesel but I don't care.
I also didn't download the minesweeper but the files work fine with the patrol version as well.It shows up as a minesweeper but I really could care less.
My path to FS9 is the default , c/drive/program files/microsoft games so no problem there.Hope this is the right post ,there being one now just for the RV HIEN vesion if not someone can move it. Thanks for your hard work.

napamule
July 20th, 2011, 21:13
Hurricane,
Yes there is a seperate thread for the RV Hein and there is one for the RV Ito version. They are different models. In fact: you should get the Hein MS model as it is different from the G model. Just to make it interesting for yourself. It is essential that one stick to the 'rules' and not mix apples and oranges. Get my drift? One little slip and your sim is 'poof'. Not worth it. I'm a stickler for details, but I also understand that not everyone is familiar with paths, edits to cfgs, or the other hacks/tweaks, etc. So that is why I chime in. I'm here to help if I can. I also am a realist. I did NOT expect the panel to work in FS9. I did not install it. Saves heart/head aches. I got me another panel, that I know is working. Same for the sound. One look at sound.cfg and 'pfift'-in the 'can' the whole thing went. I used 'a6m3' sound (from FS2000?). I find and keep sound seperate and rummage thru it by dbl clicking wav file itself (will be played by MS Media Player) so as to hear it's 'roar'.

But it's no fun that after you unraveled the path, etc and load the plane that it don't work worth a darn. And that is why I do FDEs. I love to see the models to not just look good, but to work good (albiet not always 'perfect'). I don't count rivets, either. I fly and try to bust them off (hehe). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 20th, 2011, 22:24
I guess I took a chance and didn't realise it and I lucked out, I don't like the MS version with that mine sweeper thing sticking out so I went for the recon version and it worked. As long as everything works ok I'am just going to stick with the recon version. Next time I'll pay more attension to what mods I make.

napamule
July 21st, 2011, 00:02
Hurricane,
Yeah, I guess that 'do-hickie' thingee don't grab you. Me? It don't matter. What matters is that it sits right on water. Maybe some splash. Some sounds. A little performance. Smooth handling, bla, bla, bla. Lots of work, but worth it to me.

One can't tell much about models diff. I go by the size of file and it's date created to differentiate the models. I guess they are the same except for maybe what you see when you look out the VC windows (as you found out). So the 'flying' part of model must be the same. It would be a guess, anway. No 'proof'. But I DO know that Ito's model is very different to Hein's model. But they have simularities as far as dyanmics.

Glad the FDEs worked for you. I got this 'a6m3' sound, but I don't know who made them or where I got them (ie: zip file name). Will look for source. Of course the Ford Tri-Motor are good. Tried those already. Only this 'a6m3' sound has these little valve slap, prop whine thing that fits this ole jobbie. It's all good. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 21st, 2011, 04:58
I go by date also as to which is the better or different model and going by the original file , I'am pretty sure their the same plane, other than the magnetic detector ring.I don't think your FDE would have worked other wise. It just comes up under Blohm@ Voss as a mine detector aircraft, which I can live with. it flys very well has a nice splash when taking off on the water and the wheels work too with the G key.
If we have any more to say about this plane ,maybe we better move it to the other thread before the moderators get mad at us.

hurricane3
July 21st, 2011, 05:18
Sorry ,I only hit the G key from the cockpit and never looked outside ,there are wheel sounds of wheels retracting and lowering but there are no wheels from the outside,. I believe you said something about this in your post ,that I would have to make some changes in the air file ,something bout spoilers and autopilot,I'd have to go back and look, but I don't really need wheels after all this was a seaplane not an amphibian,and you were good enough to provide this option for those who want it. Here I go again being in the wrong thread, sorry.

napamule
July 21st, 2011, 14:47
Hurricane,
Just to clarify: The zip in message #61 if for Ito's BV-138. The zip in message #69 is for Hein's BV-138. Just in case. And the cfg and air file must be used together. You can't use the cfg with your (old) air file, or use the air file with your (old) cfg. Won't work. OK? OK! You can rename any title, or variation, if you wish. Makes no diff to me. But PLEASE use the FDE set as it comes in zip, or all bets are off (because otherwise you WILL have problems). The cfg and air files are a matched pair that work together and might not work if used seperate. Change 'panel=' and/or 'sound=' as needed to tie in with NAMES you are using. CUL8R.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 21st, 2011, 15:18
Don't worry I got the right zip ,if I got it wrong it wouldn't work. Only difference is the plane I used them on was the recon version . They are both the same plane, (the recon version and mine sweeper, it's just the mine sweeper has the magnetic loop around the plane, which is why under Blohm @ Voss it says mine sweeper. The plane flys fine and the panels and vc panels work perfectly. If they wern't the same or I got it wrong the plane wouldn't work right.I used both your airfile and config together and I didn't delet anything.To repeat and put your mind at ease I've flown the plane numerous times with no problems, so I must have got it right.
I'am not renaming anything cause the fact it says minesweeper instead of recon doesn't bother me.They have to be the same basic plane or your FDE wouldn't work.

hurricane3
July 21st, 2011, 15:45
When I said both planes are the same basic model I ment both Heins BV 138's not ITO's. I don't even know where to download ITO'S BV 138 and don't want too. If this is going to worry you ,I'll just get rid of the BV 138, I'am not being rude ,but I'am a worry'er also and don't want to stress you out. But the plane flys fine, honest.Have not had a CTD or any other problems. Another idea is if it's going to upset you I could get rid of the recon version and download the mine sweeper ,but I like the recon version better, maybe you could make an FDE for the recon version and I could replace the ones now with the new ones,but you really don't have to do that. As I said I didn't delete anything just put your files in an let them overwrite. Please don't worry about ths.

gaucho_59
July 21st, 2011, 18:27
I just attached a copy of the FDE set over in another thread...will attach it here too.

OBIO

I am working on demirroring a sharkmouth Hellcat... for now here is its 2D panel

gaucho_59
July 21st, 2011, 18:55
I am working on demirroring a sharkmouth Hellcat... for now here is its 2D panel

wrong jpg! (unfinished)
Here is the more finalized version (still in progress)

napamule
July 21st, 2011, 19:46
Hurricane,
Buddy, pal. What did I say wrong? I don't want to upset you either. Just trying to clarify things. No biggee on the variation name being 'wrong'. That don't bother me at all. You should see some of the names I use for 'variation'. Some are way off from what the modeler put in. I reduce the word cound down to 2 or 3 and not 10 words (the entire variation history, location, pilot, year, etc-hehe). I't all good (I hope).

I was just flying the Hien MS that I installed to work on. (Did not install the recon). And on start up of engines I noticed that the smoke was not coming from the engine that was starting. The sequence is all wrong. So I will update that. Then, to make the smoke agree with which engine is higher (the middle one) I had to re-do the smoke. I don't know if you use it. Just a detail that took me 1 hour to sort out. I WISH I could ignore those details, but I can't. I need a nap. Phew.

Then I got to using the water rudder and the plane shakes like crazy. But if I use rudder (cnt pt type '5') to make turn, then turn it off, it will not shake (and crash?). I hate when that happens. Will SDK the rudder characteristics toight. I usually give steering to the rear floats, and that usually works, but it don't seem to want to work with this model. Has to do with cnt pts (compression?). Will look into that too.

And one of the reason I put in wheel cnt pts is that even if you don't use to go on land, you are ABLE to do PUSH BACK. Without wheels there is NO push back. You can then push back (ie: get 'towed') from land to water AND from water to land. Backwards, but able to turn using the '1' or the '2' (for tail left/tail right) and you can turn under power after you get into the water. This tweaking is a lot of work due to details (and MODEL limitations/quirks) but I enjoy it. Keeps my mind busy and my body out of trouble (ha). Hope we are still friends? Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

napamule
July 21st, 2011, 22:09
I made a mistake with wrong cnt pts (floats). How I don't know (senior moment?). Here is the cnt pts for Hein's BV-218MS (and G) models. Also made a change to engine position and consequently had to change the smoke too. This is terrible mistake in that I was crashing on landing. Now I can land 100 kts, and relload it while bobbing on the water and it doesn't crash. It also turns now (my goodness). I had left out steering to test water rudder shaking. You don't even need water rudder (I commented out). Sorry about the stupid (me) mix up. I am better than this. Not perfect-but better. Maybe I'm trying too hard (ha).

The truth of the matter is that we got a model which did not have a aircraft.cfg and I had to make one. Not looking for sympathy. Just want to point out that essentially I did a CFS to FS9 conversion, with (3, three) engine as well. Try doing that some day from scratch to include 'new' cfg AND air file. Cheers.
Chuck B

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hien BV-218MS (and G) models, UpDated cnt pts: (11Jul22).

[contact_points]
//Wheels
point.0= 1, 23.99, -5.00, -8.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 30.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1= 1, 23.99, 5.00, -8.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 30.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2= 1, -12.99, -4.90, -8.60, 1574.80, 1, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 3, 0.0, 0.0
point.3= 1, -12.99, 4.90, -8.60, 1574.80, 2, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0
//Floats
point.4= 4, 16.00, -3.33, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.5= 4, 16.00, 3.33, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.6= 4, -16.00, -2.50, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 30.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.7= 4, -16.00, 2.50, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 30.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//Pontoons
point.8= 4, 2.50, -30.80, -8.25, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.350, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.9= 4, 2.50, 30.80, -8.25, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.350, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//Water Rudder(s) -- Not Needed -- Included for 'testing' only ---
//point.10= 5, -17.00, -5.00, -8.50, 15574.80, 0, 0.000, 30.00, 0.000, 0.0, 1.00, 2.0, 2.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//point.11= 5, -17.00, 5.00, -8.50, 15574.80, 0, 0.000, 30.00, 0.000, 0.0, 1.00, 2.0, 2.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//
static_pitch=0.000000
static_cg_height= 9.600
gear_system_type=1

[GeneralEngineData]
// (Lon, Lat, Vert)
engine_type=0
Engine.0= 12.000, 12.000, 6.000
Engine.1= 12.000, -12.000, 6.000
Engine.2= 11.000, 0.000, 8.000
fuel_flow_scalar= 0.650 //1.000
min_throttle_limit= -0.499 //-0.399

[SMOKESYSTEM]
// (Vert, Lon, Lat ) (smoke is lower, shorter & wider position)
smoke.0= 6.00, 10.00, 14.00, fx_smoke_w,
smoke.1= 6.00, 10.00, -14.00, fx_smoke_w,
smoke.2= 8.00, 9.00, 0.00, fx_smoke_w,

(copy then paste directly from here to aircraft cfg (make copy first)).

gaucho_59
July 22nd, 2011, 07:56
wrong jpg! (unfinished)
Here is the more finalized version (still in progress)

Just realized the rudder pedals were inaccurate... now they look like the real thing

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 22nd, 2011, 12:25
Looks also great, the Hellcat panel :applause: There are soooo much addons to tweak and tune and make it "a little bit better" ;-) At this time I'm working at an IL-2 from CFS2. btw, whats about the B&V 138 ? Any news ? :kilroy:

Greets Andi

napamule
July 22nd, 2011, 12:47
Andi,
Well I uploaded a zip with updated FDEs for the Hiem models. See previous page on this thread. The same FDEs work good for both 'MS' and 'G' model. All you need to do is change the name(s) as needed. There is also an update for cnt pts (water rudder were left in-they don't work with this model) on this page. Also moved engines (and smoke) too.

Am putting finishing touches on the Ito BV-138G and should be done tonight. I am going to post zip you can click on to download. Works good. Have 10 other models by Ito I am working on (sometimes all 10 at the same time - hehe). Plus I got and tweaked 'TheFireBoys12' TransBus and the 'Pickup FSX'. I take time to make videos of my tweaked airplanes (vehicles in this case) so there goes the time. All work and no play..... (you know what they say). Look for zip of FDEs for Ito's BV-138G here tomorrow. OK? OK!
Chuck B
Napamule

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 22nd, 2011, 13:01
THX Napamule, I stay tuned ;-) "lol" Can't get enough of this "138 stuff" :icon_lol: :icon29:

LG
Andi

hurricane3
July 22nd, 2011, 14:22
I'am sorry if I gave you the impression I was upset with you,far from it, you did a great job on the BV 138, and maybe I was worried cause I thought you were worried, anyway OBIO is sending me the updated ITO BV 138 so I'll replace that one with the Hein one and be done with it. Please don't think I don't appreacate your fine work on the FDE's , the few mistakes you said you made were only human ,I'am sure I couldn't do or want to do what you guys do.
Also sorry about the late reply, wife was in surgery(nothing serious) and was at the hospital all day.
So fear not, you said nothing wrong, I wish I had you guys talent but I don't and really don't like messing with config files and stuff ,unless it's changeing a few numbers. Thanks again for all your work.

napamule
July 23rd, 2011, 07:56
Hurricane,
Glad we cleared the air on that. It's hard to 'communicate' thru forum posts. No amount of 'vocabulary' can put any type of expression on the written words. So I alway assume the positive. It's all good. I am 'new' (here-hehe). And you MIGHT be able to use this set (although inteded for Ito's model only) with Hien's model. Worth a shot. All you have to do is 'change the names', copy over the (fltsim.x) section, the cnt pts, the lights, and the views. That sort of thing. (Just don't forget to copy over the air file-but it's 'renameable' too, of course). Use them in good health.

Well, guess what? I done did went and made a complete new set of FDEs (cfg and air) for Ito's plane. It had nick picking and annoying little stupid problems which I could not live with (hehe). Took me an extra day but it wa well worth it IMHO. I got 'stuck' flying it all over the place. Had to force myself to quit and write the 'ReadMe' (took 45 mins). Now I need a nap. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
July 23rd, 2011, 09:31
I guess we both are perfectionists,although when it comes to flight sims ,I used to be, but have been so feed up with all the problems they can cause ,I'am not now.If I can get it in the air,thats good enough, as long as I can keep it reasonably under control.So take a break and have a nice nap, it's too hot out for anything else.

gaucho_59
July 23rd, 2011, 11:17
Looks also great, the Hellcat panel :applause: There are soooo much addons to tweak and tune and make it "a little bit better" ;-) At this time I'm working at an IL-2 from CFS2. btw, whats about the B&V 138 ? Any news ? :kilroy:

Greets Andi

I am continuing to plow on with this project... (sort of got to me now...) though I need to get back to the BV 138...
I am starting to put the finalized colors in the Hellcat... here is the progress jpg so far... someone suggested I start a thread on this for it is really out of place in this thread... (but it was the only way I could show it to Obio...who has been so helpful to me...

napamule
July 23rd, 2011, 17:35
Andy,
I live as far West and you can go (California). The temps have been in the 60's here (cold) for weeks now. Stunted my tomatos and serrano peppers. Wed morning it was 54 F so actually had to turn the heater on (ha). That is why I live here-the weather.
Chuck B

gaucho_59
July 25th, 2011, 08:32

Greets Andi

I think I bit more than I can chew... got into this one and have not gotten back on the BV 138... but thankfully... I got a lot of time and will eventually finish both projects concurrently...44457

gaucho_59
July 30th, 2011, 09:26
Thank you for your comment... when I'm through... I am going to paint in some dummy gauges and leave the holes for the few important working gauges... like aircraft attitude, IAS, etc.
Should get a semi-finished product for the 2d panel... with appropriate panel.config file... I am working on the VC textures right now... matching ITO's vc to the colors and set up of the 2D panel...should get them done fairly quicky and test them...
Next I am going to work on the skinning...
I did some skinning textures some time ago for this bird... have to look it up in my very large reservoir of unfinished projects... might revise them or used them as is (they were very good in my estimation...mmm) we shall see...
Question... how large a bmp does this model accept? would like to improve on the details as well as the livery... Let me know if you have an answer...

I have solved the problem of bezels... I can now edit gauges artwork and produce very good gauges without screws.. (the part hard to line up and usually looking pretty amateurish in most panels)... Here is an example... (I have made a template in PSP and can put any brand, language, tic marks etc. one could ever want...)
How about it on the Bv 138 panel? Not bad, eh?

gaucho_59
July 30th, 2011, 09:27
I have solved the problem of bezels... I can now edit gauges artwork and produce very good gauges without screws.. (the part hard to line up and usually looking pretty amateurish in most panels)... Here is an example... (I have made a template in PSP and can put any brand, language, tic marks etc. one could ever want...)

How do you get rid of attachments you don't need anymore in this "Manage Attachments" section???

stuartcox
July 30th, 2011, 12:31
I've not been following this thread for a while, and now it's getting a bit confusing...
There are 3 different FDE updates for two different models. Which one to use?
Obio's original title clearly states 'Ito' s BV 138', the one I have in FS.
Everything seems to be getting mixed up here without a clear indication of which post belongs to which aircraft (Ito, or von Hien).
I shall be sticking to Obio's improvements until there is a bit more clarity or a final update for Ito's model.

gaucho_59
July 30th, 2011, 18:58
I've not been following this thread for a while, and now it's getting a bit confusing...
There are 3 different FDE updates for two different models. Which one to use?
Obio's original title clearly states 'Ito' s BV 138', the one I have in FS.
Everything seems to be getting mixed up here without a clear indication of which post belongs to which aircraft (Ito, or von Hien).
I shall be sticking to Obio's improvements until there is a bit more clarity or a final update for Ito's model.

My graphics part on the project is with reference to Ito's textures, I am working on the panel artwork as well as new external model textures... I am only familiar with Ito's model... All the stuff I have submitted is NOT in final version... need to refine things a bit more still... and I really don't know a thing about posting for downloads... so when I am finished with my part of the project.. I will just make it available to Obio for him to decide how to use my artwork...

Quax d. Bruchpilot
July 31st, 2011, 08:05

A very nice RPM gauge ! :applause:

napamule
July 31st, 2011, 17:25
Stuart,
You are right. There is Obio's FDEs for Ito's BV-138. Then I provided my FDEs (cfg & air) for Ito's BV-138 and my FDEs (cfg & air) for Hien's BV-138 as 'click-to-download' type zip attachments. Both of my zips have a Readme.txt file. And looking at the cfg after you download the zip will indicate 'Ito' or 'Hien' in description. And the cfg and air files (for both) MUST be used together. You can change names, title, etc. But keep the 2 together or they won't work as the engines have changed from turbo to piston. How about that? Now you need piston sounds? Yep. Oh well, I try to help.

What happened also is that I provided a (contact pts) section in one zip without the floats having steering in cfg (so it would not turn while in the water). That I put in a 'cnt pts' only update in a post. I also put zip file attachment in another thread. (My bad). All you need to do is open zip and see the Readme and if you have 2 zips of same files, just delete one of the zips (careful which one (hehe)). So, to make things easier (more confusing?) I am going to put both zip in this post. So if you don't know which is which you can compare size, or date, or just look inside and see the readme. How's that?
Chuck B
Napamule
Now. The 'updated' cnt pts section for Hein's BV-138 cfg is as below. Also I noticed the startup smoke was wrong on start, so I provide an updated (Engines) section to correct that. Then, also provide a (smoke) section as the engines have been 'moved' and the smoke was wrong. So here are those. Copy/Paste to cfg and comment out what you have now (or delete section) or overwrite by highlighting, then 'paste' over text you don't want.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hien BV-218MS (and G) models, UpDated cnt pts: (11Jul22). Noe: FOR HEIN'S MODEL ONLY... .
[contact_points]
//Wheels
point.0= 1, 23.99, -5.00, -8.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 30.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1= 1, 23.99, 5.00, -8.80, 1574.80, 0, 0.690, 30.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2= 1, -12.99, -4.90, -8.60, 1574.80, 1, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 3, 0.0, 0.0
point.3= 1, -12.99, 4.90, -8.60, 1574.80, 2, 0.690, 0.00, 0.400, 2.5, 0.86, 5.0, 5.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0
//Floats
point.4= 4, 16.00, -3.33, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.5= 4, 16.00, 3.33, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.6= 4, -16.00, -2.50, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 30.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.7= 4, -16.00, 2.50, -8.44, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 30.00, 0.300, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//Pontoons
point.8= 4, 2.50, -30.80, -8.25, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.350, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
point.9= 4, 2.50, 30.80, -8.25, 15574.80, 0, 0.512, 0.00, 0.350, 4.5, 1.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//Water Rudder(s) -- Not Needed -- Included for 'testing' only ---
//point.10= 5, -17.00, -5.00, -8.50, 15574.80, 0, 0.000, 30.00, 0.000, 0.0, 1.00, 2.0, 2.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//point.11= 5, -17.00, 5.00, -8.50, 15574.80, 0, 0.000, 30.00, 0.000, 0.0, 1.00, 2.0, 2.0, 1, 0.0, 0.0
//
static_pitch=0.000000
static_cg_height= 9.600
gear_system_type=1

[GeneralEngineData]
// (Lon, Lat, Vert)
engine_type=0
Engine.0= 12.000, 12.000, 6.000
Engine.1= 12.000, -12.000, 6.000
Engine.2= 11.000, 0.000, 8.000
fuel_flow_scalar= 0.650 //1.000
min_throttle_limit= -0.499 //-0.399

[SMOKESYSTEM]
// (Vert, Lon, Lat ) (smoke is lower, shorter & wider position)
smoke.0= 6.00, 10.00, 14.00, fx_smoke_w,
smoke.1= 6.00, 10.00, -14.00, fx_smoke_w,
smoke.2= 8.00, 9.00, 0.00, fx_smoke_w,

I uploaded the Hein zip on 7/20/2011 and Ito zip on 7/23/2011, so Ito's cfg was 'ok' due to me going over cfg to be sure I did not make the same mistake(s) as I did with Hein's cfg, so Ito's cfg in zip is correctomundo. Cheers.

hurricane3
August 1st, 2011, 18:24
There is one thing about Heins BV 138 that no one has mentioned. That is it idles to fast. I have both HEIN's BV138 and ITOs 138 which OBIO did such a good job tweaking the FDE and it stops after you pull the throttle to idle, the Hein version does not.As soon as you load the plane it starts moving. It's not my controller( a CH Throttle Quad) ,because I tried other seaplnes and they stop when the throttle is pulled to idle, and it also does this when I have no controllers hooked up. The only way to stop it is hit F2.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this. The only reason I kept Heins BV138 is I like the paint scheme,as ITO's with OBIO's new fde's preforms better, this is not slamming NAPAMULES fde's for Heins 138 it turns on the water and flys fine, he did a great job , but just wondered if anyone else noticed the high idle speed?

gaucho_59
August 2nd, 2011, 05:24
There is one thing about Heins BV 138 that no one has mentioned. That is it idles to fast. I have both HEIN's BV138 and ITOs 138 which OBIO did such a good job tweaking the FDE and it stops after you pull the throttle to idle, the Hein version does not.As soon as you load the plane it starts moving. It's not my controller( a CH Throttle Quad) ,because I tried other seaplnes and they stop when the throttle is pulled to idle, and it also does this when I have no controllers hooked up. The only way to stop it is hit F2.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this. The only reason I kept Heins BV138 is I like the paint scheme,as ITO's with OBIO's new fde's preforms better, this is not slamming NAPAMULES fde's for Heins 138 it turns on the water and flys fine, he did a great job , but just wondered if anyone else noticed the high idle speed?

Where do you find this Heins Bv 138???? Keep hearing about it in this thread but have never seen it... Please advise

hurricane3
August 2nd, 2011, 06:13
You can find the Heins BV 138 at FlightSim.com Do a search under FS 2004 warbirds and put in BV 138 and it should take you right to the page. Don't forget it needs NAPMULE"S new FDE for it to work better.

hurricane3
August 2nd, 2011, 06:26
I forgot to mention when you go to the page there are two versions ,one is a recon type( the one I have) and one is a mine sweeper with the big round magnetic detecter around the fuselage. I think it says it's by RV HEIN(PAYAKAN) whoever they are,have no idea where to find ITO's 138 ,a good friend sent me his.The new FDE's by Napamule work for both versions( minesweeper and patrol) but the patrol version comes up minesweeper in flight sim unless you change the name in the config file which I didn't do. I'am not that fussy anymore.

gaucho_59
August 3rd, 2011, 10:38
I forgot to mention when you go to the page there are two versions ,one is a recon type( the one I have) and one is a mine sweeper with the big round magnetic detecter around the fuselage. I think it says it's by RV HEIN(PAYAKAN) whoever they are,have no idea where to find ITO's 138 ,a good friend sent me his.The new FDE's by Napamule work for both versions( minesweeper and patrol) but the patrol version comes up minesweeper in flight sim unless you change the name in the config file which I didn't do. I'am not that fussy anymore.

I found it! and it really looks very promising to redo... here is my take on one of the liveries... started on it right away... I like the way this model shows on the FS...45141

gaucho_59
August 3rd, 2011, 10:53
I found it! and it really looks very promising to redo... here is my take on one of the liveries... started on it right away... I like the way this model shows on the FS...45141

Just an aside... for the sake of clarity... that big ring on the minesweeping version is NOT a magnetic detector, but a degaussing ring... just like technicians used to employ back in the 60s to de-magnetize color tv screens where colors were getting mixed and unclear.... in the case of the "big" ring... it did the same job... demagnetized magnetic mines... rendering them harmless... just thought you might
appreciate this bit of minutia...
thanks again for pointing the way on the other stuff...

gaucho_59
August 5th, 2011, 02:47

Still working on improving the textures on Ito's model... should finish both Heins' and Ito's about the same time....

gaucho_59
August 5th, 2011, 06:42
Still working on improving the textures on Ito's model... should finish both Heins' and Ito's about the same time....

progress report

Hurricane91
August 6th, 2011, 09:04
Very nice paints Gaucho, you are very talented. Do you have any screenshots yet of a 138 wearing the new threads?

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2011, 11:20
Very nice paints Gaucho, you are very talented. Do you have any screenshots yet of a 138 wearing the new threads?

Well, I had to revise the textures... as usual... some folks make their textures sort of "cryptic" inasmuch as they are large patches of color but one cannot tell where they fall in the model... (I like Ito because although his art is a bit "primitive" and he uses a rather rudimentary paint program... his textures are usually "dead on" as far as the placement of pain on flying surfaces like ailerons and flapt... etc.... so one can accurately paint over and get very attractive and realistic looking results...)
As you can see from my "proof" textures... I try to give shadowing.. panel lines, etc. with a fairly convincing brush... but usually I have to "dress" the model on its new skin and see where the ball has fallen so to speak...
I just redid the textures... and will fly it right now... so I will post a pic of it in flight in a few minutes...
Thanks again...

gaucho_59
August 6th, 2011, 12:07
Well, I had to revise the textures... as usual... some folks make their textures sort of "cryptic" inasmuch as they are large patches of color but one cannot tell where they fall in the model... (I like Ito because although his art is a bit "primitive" and he uses a rather rudimentary paint program... his textures are usually "dead on" as far as the placement of pain on flying surfaces like ailerons and flapt... etc.... so one can accurately paint over and get very attractive and realistic looking results...)
As you can see from my "proof" textures... I try to give shadowing.. panel lines, etc. with a fairly convincing brush... but usually I have to "dress" the model on its new skin and see where the ball has fallen so to speak...
I just redid the textures... and will fly it right now... so I will post a pic of it in flight in a few minutes...
Thanks again...

Well, as you can see... still gotta go back to the drawing board... still can't figure out exactly where the flying surfaces are... especially the single elevator... also... the cowlings and spinners are not in place yet... I am beginning to think I will redress Ito's model with this skin (see how much of this work can be transplanted or downright redone... The livery is really nice... but the model does not compare to Ito's... I should have it ready by tomorrow...

Ascua02
August 7th, 2011, 02:53
Hello all

Gaucho, if you want, I can pull the UV maps from ACM so you can have a map for the wireframe in the model

Saludos

P.S.: OOps, for some reason I can only pull the Ito's ones, it gives me a mistake when trying to read Heins' ones

gaucho_59
August 7th, 2011, 05:34
Hello all

Gaucho, if you want, I can pull the UV maps from ACM so you can have a map for the wireframe in the model

Saludos

P.S.: OOps, for some reason I can only pull the Ito's ones, it gives me a mistake when trying to read Heins' ones

UV maps from ACM... lol... alphabet soup to me... not very savvy of all these abbreviations... I am sure UV does not stand for ultra-violet... or ACM for some missile... Please enlighten me... at any rate, whatever you can contribute is welcome... Ito's textures are so self explanatory as to what goes where... and the uses straight forward bmps... - which make repainting so easy - I have almost finished his minesweeper with the degaussing ring... trying to find pics in my library or the net to dress it up with some codes and/or staffel emblems...

the flying model looks pretty good so far...
working on the recon version too... for that one I have a really nice livery

gaucho_59
August 17th, 2011, 20:52
I think I bit more than I can chew... got into this one and have not gotten back on the BV 138... but thankfully... I got a lot of time and will eventually finish both projects concurrently...44457

Here is the finished Hellcat panel...

Alderdice
December 17th, 2011, 13:33
Newbie to the site, lifelong enthusiast of military aviation. Incredible talent on display throughout this website – I hope I'm posting to the right area, let me know if I'm not: I'm looking for detailed background information about the combination of MG 151/20 cannon and HDL 151/20 turret in Luftwaffe aircraft, primarily the BV 138. Any ideas and directions as to finding archived materials and repositories would be greatly appreciated. Most helpful for my research would be documentation concerning cannon installation, ammunition loading and operational characteristics: diagrams, photographs, training information, etc. .
Thanks,
Barry Moores