PDA

View Full Version : Airport Day at KMFD

OBIO
July 1st, 2011, 08:42
Tomorrow is Airport Day at KMFD....basically an open-house and pancake breakfast. I'm going, taking my camera, and going to take tons of pics of airplanes. The C-27J Spartans and the V-Tail Beechcraft that lives at KMFD are my primary objectives, but anything with wings will find itself being photographed.

OBIO

Daveroo
July 1st, 2011, 09:25
Tomorrow is Airport Day at KMFD....basically an open-house and pancake breakfast. I'm going, taking my camera, and going to take tons of pics of airplanes. The C-27J Spartans and the V-Tail Beechcraft that lives at KMFD are my primary objectives, but anything with wings will find itself being photographed.

OBIO

cool,,must share...i allways share my pics but i must take crappy pics or pics of planes poeple could careless about cause no one ever comments...LOL...

im going to the nevada county airfest july 9th..im hoping to get some shots upclose of the airtankers and air attack,T89 and T 88 are there,,AA230 is supposed to be there but you never know what AA is there

AndyG43
July 1st, 2011, 09:45

OBIO

Obio, some good close up shots of the markings on the C-27J would be really useful please. Don't know if you've seen the thread over on the FS9 forums, but we're trying to revamp Itosan's Spartan, and I would very much like to include a repaint of your local boys as part of that project.

OBIO
July 1st, 2011, 11:00
Andy

Will get TONS of pics of the Spartans...they will be on display and hopefully I can get inside of one to take detailed VC shots in case someone down the road wants to do a new model with a VC. I was just looking at pics taken at last years event, and there were a ton of planes there that I HOPE are there this year...an Aero Vodochody L-39C, a replica Fokker DXsomething or other....a WW1 fighter, a T-6 Texan giving 15 minute instructional flights for $150 (too bad I ain't rich!).

I have a 3 mem sticks for the camera...2 2gig and 1 4gig...and plan to fill them UP.

OBIO

OBIO
July 2nd, 2011, 02:03
5:56 AM. I am up, ready, have 3 sets of new AA batteries, a total of 8gig of mem cards for the camera (all formatted and empty for max photo holding)....and wouldn't you know it...the "slight" chance of thunderstorms before 10:00 AM has turned into an actual thunderstorm. Yeah, it's storming right NOW. The initial storm front should be out of the way by noon...but a second storm front is supposed to move over the area around 2:00 PM. Will keep an eye on the weather radar and if thing open up, I will hop into the Big Blue Econolodge on Wheels (my 7-passenger minivan) and head to the airport to see if I can get some pics taken at any rate. I may just brave the elements and head on down at 8 o'clock anyhow. The worst that can happen is I get struck by lightning...and if I do, odds are I won't know anything about it. I'd be like "Wow! A 1949 Stinson 108-3. I need to get some pics of" ZAP FRY SNAP CRACKLE POP...and I'd be in the Here After and all my worldly problems would be left behind. If that happens Deb might be a little upset as there is a good chance the digital camera wouldn't work any more...and she really likes our digital camera.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
July 2nd, 2011, 08:26
Go get 'em Obio!

OBIO
July 2nd, 2011, 12:12
I'm home. The weather was a real killer for this year's event. Most of the planes on display were ones that live at the airport....very few actual fly in planes. I took a grand total of 131 pictures, and some of them were of cars, trucks and an old farm tractor.

Noteworthy planes: 1949 Stearman, T-6 Texan (last major motor overhaul was May 1996 so it is most likely a hangar queen, a PT-26, a Buhl Pup, Beechcraft Staggerwing, a couple of Erocoupes, the 179th AW C-27J Spartan and a KC-135.

There were a couple of TitanAircraft scale (3/4 maybe) P-51D Mustang look-a-likes...built in Ohio. One was autographed by Bud Anderson..yes, THE Bud Anderson.

I was suprised to find that the Stearman, Texan, Staggerwing, PT-26 and Buhl Pup all live at the airport. Also found out that in one of the hangers lives a Mig fighter....the guy wasn't sure what type. Too bad it wasn't drug out for display.

I ran into a guy I used to work with back 5 or 6 years. Was nice to see him again. He was there with his HAM radio club helping with security and communications. He said that last year, which was the first year for the event, they had wonderful weather and had planes stacked 5 high and 15 miles out from the airport waiting to land...hundreds of aircraft last year....too bad I heard about the event the day AFTER it happened. Now I have the organizer's web site book marked and will know when next year's event will take plane.

Will upload the pic to my Photobucket account or one of the other photo hosting sites and share a link to the pics. Too many to upload here on SOH. And they are full size 7.0 megapixel images. Great for wall papers.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
July 2nd, 2011, 12:56
Too bad about the weather Obio. Hopefully next year will be better.

By the way, the B-25 "Made in the Shade" flew over my house yesterday evening. I was at the computer, but when I heard those radial engines, I went outside to see it pass over at about 2,000 AGL.

Here she is at the Olympia air show a few weeks ago:

Daveroo
July 2nd, 2011, 13:29
speaking of bud anderson..still waiting to hear from him to see if he is joing myself and my family for lunch on my birthday...he said he may have a commitment..but couldnt remember...LOL...

OBIO
July 2nd, 2011, 20:33
You know how new cars have that smell....that New Car smell? New planes have a smell too....that New Plane smell. I was inside the Spartan....less than 100 flight hours....and it had a very distinct New Plane smell.

OBIO