PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird on sale!!

racartron
June 27th, 2011, 03:48
Anyone have this bird --and associated comments? PCAviator has a 7 day 50% off sale that just started.

I've been looking for a good one, but $35 was over my allowance. $17.47 on the other hand is very inviting.

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18597

awj112
June 27th, 2011, 08:25
I just bought it myself. Couldn't resist the price.

teeps
June 27th, 2011, 08:33
I bought it at full price from Alphasim. I like it, it's a real challenge to fly well.

pfflyers
June 27th, 2011, 13:48
I also bought it at full price and really like it.

The VC and engine effects are really nice and there are a few other eye candies as well.

I'm not the greatest pilot so I've never really taken it to it's full performance potential, but just getting around the pattern and back down in one piece is a good days' work.

racartron
June 27th, 2011, 17:37
Well,I wen't back to PCAviator to do the deal and "what to my wondering eyes should appear" but the Justflight Mossie -- also on the 50% shelf.

I know this isn't big news to most of y'all at SOH as the Mossie is one of the most talked birds around here, but I had never bit the bullet and now I'm so busy tweaking these beauties the poor ol' Blackbird is languishing in the wings wondering what the heck happened. So much to do with sooo many models and iterations: radios, lights, smoke, specular shine, etc.

Ahhh, it's great to be retired (except for the associated getting old thing).

AndyG43
June 28th, 2011, 00:25
Approve much more of the Mossie purchase than the Blackbird purchase Racartron - I'd be interested in seeing your "tweaks" when they are ready.

BTW you might want to make your way over to Britsim.com, Peter Watkins has done some nice repaints for this Mossie.

Motormouse
June 28th, 2011, 01:42
Er, is this not the same Blackbird thats' on the Virtavia (Sp?)
freeware site then?

ttfn

Pete

AndyG43
June 28th, 2011, 01:58
Er, is this not the same Blackbird thats' on the Virtavia (Sp?)
freeware site then?

ttfn

Pete

No Pete, they released a later version - but I've got that freeware version, which is still pretty damn good, so never felt the need to get this one; still don't, even at 50% off.

racartron
June 28th, 2011, 02:20
Approve much more of the Mossie purchase than the Blackbird purchase Racartron - I'd be interested in seeing your "tweaks" when they are ready.

BTW you might want to make your way over to Britsim.com, Peter Watkins has done some nice repaints for this Mossie.

Thanks for the HU on the repaints. I agree the Mossie catch is much more impressive, but as a retired aerospace engineer, I'm obligated to have a Blackbird in the hanger. You did notice the Mossie took precedence in the workshop--right?

BTW, the older version on the Alphasim freeware page is a nice bird, but the FDE & controls for this one is way better(sic)

AndyG43
June 28th, 2011, 02:58
Thanks for the HU on the repaints. I agree the Mossie catch is much more impressive . You did notice the Mossie took precedence in the workshop--right?

Hey, with Henry temporarily out of action, somebody has to push the Mossie's case at every opportunity!! :icon_lol:

paul day
June 28th, 2011, 06:32
And just to add icing to the cake it's 10% off day today so the Mossie costs $9.87.

Regards Paul Day

Matt Wynn
June 28th, 2011, 06:40
someone say Mossie? *Drools* yeah she's a great aircraft to have in the Hangar, my most flown type in sim... she was also stealthy (the mossie), had a low RCS (must be that Ecuadorian Balsa and Plywood) :icon_lol:

as for the Blackbird.... gonna have to check it out see if i'm tempted enough to put my artwork down for a day and have a relaxing flight waaaaay up there..... :salute:

racartron
June 28th, 2011, 07:24
someone say Mossie? *Drools* yeah she's a great aircraft to have in the Hangar, my most flown type in sim... she was also stealthy (the mossie), had a low RCS (must be that Ecuadorian Balsa and Plywood) :icon_lol:

as for the Blackbird.... gonna have to check it out see if i'm tempted enough to put my artwork down for a day and have a relaxing flight waaaaay up there..... :salute:

The Blackbird is a "slight" departure form my most recent efforts and it shows. I had a dual engine failure while cruising along at 75,000ft and Mach 2.1. Never did get her refired before the big squash:engel016: just south of Edwards AFB.

Oh well, back to the more sedate proppers.:icon_lol:

awj112
June 28th, 2011, 08:03
Well,I wen't back to PCAviator to do the deal and "what to my wondering eyes should appear" but the Justflight Mossie -- also on the 50% shelf.

I know this isn't big news to most of y'all at SOH as the Mossie is one of the most talked birds around here, but I had never bit the bullet and now I'm so busy tweaking these beauties the poor ol' Blackbird is languishing in the wings wondering what the heck happened. So much to do with sooo many models and iterations: radios, lights, smoke, specular shine, etc.

Ahhh, it's great to be retired (except for the associated getting old thing).

So doing the math, you can get the entire Mosquito package - base and both expansions - for roughly $25 US? Deal!

racartron
June 28th, 2011, 08:41
Yep it was quite a deal. And with the batch of add-on liveries, I now have a very nice fleet of awesome Mossies to play with for a long time.

I must say, however, this bird plays havoc on my systemdoing view changes. This is the first one I have had any issues with. Normally my quad system uses about 450 to 500mb of memory with even the most demanding planes, The Mossies is jacking that figure up to about 1300mb. Not sure why, but she is still very flyable as the hit is only on view change not actual flying.