PDA

View Full Version : here we go again

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 06:43
Through my flu fogged brain I"am writeing this in hopes someone can help. I have the Avro Shackelton from Brit Sim. Haven't tried the new sound files, cause it won't start. neither crl+e or the starter buttons well make it start. The engines will turn over but die once they get to a certain rpm.
I'n the past if I went to another multiengine plane and started all four engines on that, then went back to the Shack, all four would start. Now they try to start but die after reaching a certain point.
I always loved the Shack but if it won't start the I'am taking it out. Any ideas? Thanks again OBIO for the flu advice ,I really need it.

racartron
June 26th, 2011, 07:22
I brought the Shackleton out of the hanger and fired it up with no problems. After setting on the ramp for several minutes, I rolled onto the runway and took off normally.

The only thing I can think of to cause your shut off problem is it may have a very short battery life built in. I have a few planes that have that issue, so went into the FSUIPC module and changed to the infinite life battey option. The problem went away.

--------------------
Oops. Come to think of it the only thing that the short battery thingie did was to shut off my avionics -- not kill the engine(s). So my suggestion may not help.

The only other thing I can think of is fiddling with the mixture controls. sometime I have to maxiimize the mixture at start up to keep the engines turning. But the one thing I do know is what I don't know about proper engine management, so I'm just rambling at this point. Much more experienced simmers can give ya a better solution.

extrudinator
June 26th, 2011, 07:34
The only time I've had a similar problem was when the plane was set up so that when I had the throttle to minimum it wasn't "idle" it was "cut off." Crack the throttle and see what happens.

Dangerousdave26
June 26th, 2011, 07:34
1.) try increasing your throttle

Some aircraft will stall out if the engine throttles are too low.

2.) Check your fuel levels in your tank. Your default flight might be causing the plane to load up with empty tanks. Go the the fuel and payload section while in the Sim to check. Add fuel as necessary

3.) If they still fail to start at all some aircraft need a small tweeking in the piston engine section (only if this is a piston engine)

[piston_engine]
//skip a few
normalized_starter_torque= {?}

There will be a value there in place of {?}. Increase it by small amounts say .01+ and test.

I had this issue with Ito's P-61 with fliger747's airfile. Other members could start it with out a problem I could not start it to save my life with out changing this field.

Don't ask me why.

remember to back up the original value in a comment. normally I will place it right behind the new value.

normalized_starter_torque= {?} // {old value}

AndyG43
June 26th, 2011, 07:35
You say you "have the Shackleton from Brit Sim" - is this just the main download, or did you get the two fix/updates as well?

racartron
June 26th, 2011, 07:45
See, I told ya there are some smart folks here:guinness:

BTW, I am running with both of the updates installed. Also, I just loaded it in "vanilla" and did not have to do anything to either start it or keep it running -- for what ever that's worth.

Since I had the Shackleton out I decided to pollute the environment abit.

Aircraft.cfg Entries:

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, 0.96, -58.85, 2.56, fx_shockwave_navred ,
light.1 = 3, 0.96, 58.85, 2.56, fx_shockwave_navgre ,
light.2 = 2, 0.96, -59.07, 2.56, fx_shockwave_strobe ,
light.3 = 2, 0.96, 59.07, 2.56, fx_shockwave_strobe_2 ,
light.4 = 1, 0.28, 0.90, 4.55, fx_shockwave_beacon
light.5 = 3, -57.40, 0.00, 1.66, fx_shockwave_navwhi ,
light.6 = 5, 2.50, 46.00, 0.00, fx_shockwave_landing_light_tail
light.7 = 5, 2.50, -46.00, 0.00, fx_shockwave_landing_light_tail

//--Engine Smoke---
light.8 = 2, 13.4, -27, -2.2, fx_Bob_smoke_B52_0 //Or any exhaust fx
light.9 = 2, 15, -12.2, -3.2, fx_bob_smoke_B52_1//Or any exhaust fx
light.10 =2, 15, 12.2, -3.2, fx_Bob_smoke_B52_0 //Or any exhaust fx
light.11 =2, 13.4, 27, -2.2, fx_bob_smoke_B52_1//Or any exhaust fx

I did not try to match both exhaust stacks for each engine, just one trail per engine. but the effect still looks pretty realistic -- IMHO:icon_lol:

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 08:04
I think I have the updates ,I hooked up my CH Control Yoke and ( i have it set to the throttle ,prop, and mixtue axis ,that way the one control, controls all four throttle, my Ch Throttle Quad is set for twin engine operation and I don't want to change it every time I fly a 4 engine plane, no I can't simulate an engine out ,but I'll live with that.)Anyway after much meesing around with the throttle and mixture I got all four running. All bets are off if I can do it again. Just one thing. WHY ME ?everyone else has no problem with the Air Tractor or Shack just me. Between the flu and this,listen for the gunshots.

AndyG43
June 26th, 2011, 08:37
I think I have the updates.....

There were two updates - if you followed the instructions in the first 1 you will have two separate folders, one for the MR2 and one for the AEW2. You'll also have had to download several other files for the necessary gauges etc. Does that sound like the setup on your PC?

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 08:42
I checked ,and I don't have the update and after reading the instructions for update 2 ,well forget it . I'am not gonna go to all that trouble and with the flu to boot just to maybe change the panel and make it fly more realistic. I found I do have to have my CH Yoke hooked up to give it a little throttle for it to start. So far so good. I cut the mixture and the engines died, gave it a little throttle and full rich mixture and all four fired right up. All (I think) my other 4 engine planes will start with out me hooking up anything. Thanks for all your input.

AndyG43
June 26th, 2011, 09:09
I checked ,and I don't have the update and after reading the instructions for update 2 ,well forget it . I'am not gonna go to all that trouble and with the flu to boot just to maybe change the panel and make it fly more realistic. I found I do have to have my CH Yoke hooked up to give it a little throttle for it to start. So far so good. I cut the mixture and the engines died, gave it a little throttle and full rich mixture and all four fired right up. All (I think) my other 4 engine planes will start with out me hooking up anything. Thanks for all your input.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you over my Shackleton files - already split out & all the updates done, so you'll just need to drop it into the relevant folders.

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 09:57
Same setup on my computer

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 12:25
After rereading the instructions on Brit sim for up date 2 ,it might be more than I can handle. Save yourself the trouble, you don't have to send the updates ,I know you already have them all broken down but I still don't know if I could do it.
Ok back to OBIO's flu cure.

AndyG43
June 26th, 2011, 12:30
After rereading the instructions on Brit sim for up date 2 ,it might be more than I can handle. Save yourself the trouble, you don't have to send the updates ,I know you already have them all broken down but I still don't know if I could do it.
Ok back to OBIO's flu cure.

Too late, I've sent it!! :icon_lol:

Everything is in the correct folder, all you need to do is drop it into your main FS2004 folder, it will all go to the right place.

hurricane3
June 26th, 2011, 16:12
Well I bit the bullet and downloaded your zip file, and now I'am glad I did. It worked perfectly and now the engines even start with Ctrl+E. Oh there's a few things that don't work,nothing major ,like the number 4 prop syncro doesn't run continually like the other two and the props and throttles are hard to control with the mouse, but who the heck cares? I fly with my CH control wheel which has a single throttle and prop and mixture control and if you check the rpms. all props are in sync.Like I said before if I really want to control the throttles individually I can always reasigne my Ch throttle to each engine, but their set up for twin engine and I hate to change them every time I want to fly a 4 engine plane. Doesn't matter if I can't simulate an engine out, I can do that with the twins. So I'am getting carried away here, so bottom line is thankyou Andy