PDA

View Full Version : Golden Wings, FSX style?

OleBoy
June 25th, 2011, 10:17
Something I've been wanting to see, Golden Wings, FSX Style. Old hangers, airfields, etc. Anything GA of the era between the 40's & 50's.

I just want a project to participate in. I could do this myself if I wanted to invest the time to learn new things, but I'm not that ambitious. Is there a group of people that do this actively?, OR, would want to? I would love to get together with a group of individuals to do some scenery for the PNW for starters. Who knows where something like this could lead.

full
June 25th, 2011, 12:03
Hey OleBoy, It would be great to have "Golden Wings X" but its such a massive job that you would need a BIG team to make it work.

I've looked into editing the main building BGL's which is possible but I wouldn't know how to recomplie them....

I'm sure myself and others could make some low-poly (vintage) AI's to buzz around.

The problem is getting people to stick with it and see it through.

OleBoy
June 25th, 2011, 12:12
Craig, check your personal messages.

I'm all for getting something going. There are no schedules if I get involved. In otherwards, WYSIWYG. Little by little, day by day, or whatever it turns out to be. Those who want to help, the more the merrier. If they bail or jump ship, saio nara. We just deal with it the best we ( I say that (we) loosely) can. If we can't we scrap that portion and move on.

This is a past time hobby for me. Nothing else. If I can better the experience by devoting my free time, that works for me. I keep busy so I don't go senile sitting at home when I don't work. Which is something that's slowed recently.

full
June 26th, 2011, 02:25
Ok, OleBoy and myself are going to give this project a go and see how it works. If anyone is interested in helping please contact us in this thread or by PM.

This is completely at our own pace and doesn't have a schedule, just a bit of fun for all us vintage nuts.

What we are trying to create is a Golden Wings (X) if you want, for FSX. This will include vintage Ai, Buildings (textures) road regression, remove power lines, replace Ai traffic with vintage traffic (Boats & cars).

I must admit this is a enormous task, but with help it CAN happen...

We are looking for scenery (bgl) designers, aircraft designers and texture artists, so if you would like to help on this project please do so.

Matt Wynn
June 26th, 2011, 02:44
while not able to test in Sim (PC cannot handle FSX properly) i can assist when needed on Texture work :salute: always willing to help the Sim community :ernae:

OleBoy
June 26th, 2011, 03:37
Craig, I'm not sure the undertaking I've started. I'm not even going to look in the FSX scenery/texture folders. I do know this. I honestly feel that it would be a good idea for us to meet on the SOH Teamspeak so we can get acquainted, and get an idea of where to begin. I'm not sure on this, but I don't think DangerousDave would mind making an area/channel for this project if need be.

txnetcop
June 26th, 2011, 07:05
I still fly FS9 Golden Wings! LOVE IT! I think it would be even more incredible in FSX. I wish I had time for scenery design training.
Ted

CWOJackson
June 26th, 2011, 07:58
I've always wondered why MS (or an independent developer) never offered landclass/object packages that would allow the user to select different eras. It would be nice to more closely match the era to the aircraft being used.

Another pet peeve was the lack of an included native program to modify/adjust scenery easily. Who wouldn't make improvements to their own local airport/communities if it were (easily) available to them? If those were available via regional databases imagine how accurate the FS could become.

TeiscoDelRay
June 26th, 2011, 09:06
Would be great fun to have this in FSX or Flight. I was with the Lyons 'Golden Eagles Squadron' back in the day and we would need someone with his dedication, talent and vision to do it all again.

Bjoern
June 26th, 2011, 09:17
Calclassic has tons of stuff for FS9 from the 40s to 60s. You guys could try getting it into FSX to take a shortcut.

http://calclassic.com/

OleBoy
June 26th, 2011, 09:30
I (personal opinion) honestly feel this would go a lot smoother starting from scratch considering. I think if it was that simple to bring GW from FS9 to FSX, it would have been done by now. Not meaning that in a derogatory way of course. But I don't necessarily want to spend my time reworking other peoples labor. The more simple the process (for me) the more apt I will stay interested. As it is we still have just Craig and myself.

Depending on the level of participation (aside from verbal, though it will be greatly appreciated!) That's where the first page of this book starts. What is written inside, remains to be seen. Craig is in process of getting Teamspeak going on his end. Once we get our ideas on the table, we'll plan for approach :)

TeaSea
June 26th, 2011, 11:52
One of the things I miss from FS9 is Golden Wings.

I am absolutely worthless on coding or painting or anything of that sort, but I love research.

Be glad to lend a hand, and cheer everyone on....

Francois
June 26th, 2011, 11:56
Sent you a little PM :-)

full
June 29th, 2011, 03:15
I think the plan is to have a fresh install of FSX SP2/Acceleration installed and go from there, I think its probably best to leave the ground textures alone and concentrate on the regression of autogen buildings.

When I talk to OleBoy I will get a better idea of the plan

I've successfully created batch files to swap out the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg files so that each separate install has its own files and you won't get any errors.

thunder100
June 29th, 2011, 06:35
I unfortunately cannot cobtribute much(apart AI palnes FDE) but STILL I would like to raise a request

Pls think about

Grand Central Air Terminal (GCAT)Glendale
Burbank
Treasure Island(SF) at the Golden Gate International Exposition (Clipper airport)

Would be absolutely stunning

Thanks

Roland

OleBoy
June 29th, 2011, 07:29
Due to lurking developers and scenery designers;

I feel our intentions and direction will be a good thing for us all as hobbyists. Unfortunately, any further talks regarding this projects, projects, will be done on Teamspeak amongst the group involved, and should stay that way for the better of the idea.

My apologies from the group.

mmann
June 29th, 2011, 07:29
The main problem I can see with a project of this scope is timing. Even Golden Wings for FS9 eventually ran out of steam with the arrival of FSX (with a number of potential developers jumping ship). With Microsoft Flight on the horizon I can see a similar situation occurring. Great idea, but I think it should have been started a least 2 years ago IMHO.

Regards, Mike Mann

OleBoy
June 29th, 2011, 07:42
With an outlook set as stated, nothing will happen. What happened, or did not was stemmed from the team involved and the lack of interest. Which was likely brought into the circle from outside those with a dream. I want to, and am doing this because I enjoy this hobby. What's done by myself and fellow members of this group is hopefully done for the love of the hobby.

TeaSea
June 29th, 2011, 15:17
Due to lurking developers and scenery designers;

I feel our intentions and direction will be a good thing for us all as hobbyists. Unfortunately, any further talks regarding this projects, projects, will be done on Teamspeak amongst the group involved, and should stay that way for the better of the idea.

My apologies from the group.

Understood....have fun!

OleBoy
July 9th, 2011, 18:43
Sorry for the news, but my participation (least through summer) will be minimal if at all. I had the opportunity today to get reacquainted with my old R/C friends at the flying field, of which i have been away from for many many years. It was very enjoyable to see old friends and reminisce. Intimidating as it was, several of them let me fly their aircraft. And I did. With a big smile as I buzzed the sky. Point blank, I miss it. So I made a decision and decided to get my head out of this dang computer.

My summer will be spent enjoying a very much missed hobby of building, and flying in the fresh air. Nitro, Caster oil, and the skies.

See ya round late fall, or winter.