PDA

View Full Version : German AA Question - The Answer

Pen32Win
June 24th, 2011, 12:14
A few months back someone posted a question about the "Average" German AA Unit. In my research I've found that the German Luftwaffe AA units were about as Non-Standardized as Non-Standardized gets.... but.... there are some general guidelines that I've found and may be a help to ETO Mission Builders. So....

The most basic Unit was the "Abteilung" or Battalion. There were four different types of Flak Battalions:

Heavy - Consists of four Heavy Batteries.

Mixed - Consists of three Heavy and two Light Batteries.

Light - Consists of three or four Light Batteries, three seems to be the "Norm", four at times late '44 into '45.

Searchlight - three or four Searchlight Batteries, three seems to be the "Norm", four at times late '44 into '45.

OK now we've got a Reference Point. Th Flak Battalion seems to be the Basic Unit(s) which would be assigned to an Airfield or other Fixed Installation. A major Port or industrial complex would have two or more Battalions. The "Mixed Battalion" would cover a Main Airfield and a "Light Battaion" would probably cover a secondary or several dispersal fields.

Now that we've got the Battalion structure down let's break it down to the Battery and Individual Gun Level.

Batteries:

Heavy - Equipped with four or six heavy guns, usually 88mm (FlaK 18,36,37) and two light guns (20mm FlaK 38) for close protection.

Light 20mm - Equipped with 12 to 16 20mm (Flak 30,38 or Flakvierling 38) guns.
Light 37mm - Equipped with 9 to 12 37mm (Flak 36/37 or Flak 43) guns.

Searchlight - Equipped with 9 or 12 1,500mm searchlights and an appropriate number of sound locators.

Heavy guns were usually sited in fours (a square), or in sixes (five point star with one in the middle). The command post, comprising director, heightfinder, and radar equipment, is located to one side, and there is often an additional or alternative subsidiary instrument pit for emergency fire-control equipment in the center of the gun layout.
Light guns are usually sited in threes, though sometimes singly.

So, for your Average Large Airfield with a Mixed Battalion defending it you'd have:

12-16 88mm
9-12 37mm
12-16 20mm (Double this if both Light Batteries are 20mm, ie, no 37mm Battery)

to those that were looking for this kind of information I hope this helps........
:ernae:

Captain Kurt
June 24th, 2011, 13:52
Thanks Pen32Win. I'm going to give this information a tryout and see if it is then possible to survive a stafing run on an airfield that is so defended. Your AA models of course. :wavey:

Discus
June 24th, 2011, 13:58
Imagine flying through the kind of steel wall all those guns combined could throw into the air! Have you made a try?
Itīs remarcable that any allied pilot ever strike an enemy parked aircraft. It shurely took a lot of gutts to keep your head looking where you were going, much more to search for objectives, aim and strike! Steel wall needed steel resolution!:medals:

Pen32Win
June 24th, 2011, 15:22
That's why Allied Pilots were very leary of Luftwaffe Airfields, No-Ball Sites, Harbors and German Flak in general, read Clostermann or Johnny Johnson's books, it's why they dropped their bombs from 3-4000' and made one pass and got out of Dodge....

Grave Airfield was even above and beyond what I listed.

Heavy Batteries, from what I've seen were well out away from the Airfield itself. Upwards of a couple of miles from the center of the field or whatever fixed object they were defending.

BTW, the current GER_88_Flak gun DP has 2 Gunstations in it.... Watch out when using it. It's a Double Gun.

I'll be starting the new FlaK 36 88mm right after the 4th of July Weekend.

Jagdflieger
June 24th, 2011, 15:59
Thanks Pen. God info that.

I've generally used US artillery doctrine for my FLAK set up. Looks like I'm a bit undergunned by doing so. I'll update my techique for future projects.