PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a dumb dog a Russian trick

Sid2008
June 23rd, 2011, 08:56
Well, I suppose I am too stupid to figure this out, but not too proud to ask:

Many russian birds (IL-18/IL-38/IL-86) in FS9 will not work unless the joystick is re-programmed in some arcane manner.

If I start up the bird and give more throttle, the ruder pedals move in conjunction with the thrust levers.

Can someone in "plane" english please tell me exactly what to do to re-program my joystick to properly fly the Russian birds?

Thanks,
Sid

Tom Clayton
June 23rd, 2011, 15:17
When I get a plane like that, the first thing I do is decide if the exterior is worth keeping. If so, I use a hex editor to hack out the VC, then drop in a panel that I can work with. For quad t-props, I use the 2D from Milton's original Dash 7. For jets, I find something with the right number of engines with the name Ken Mitchell attached. I know I'm missing out on some outstanding detail work, but that work is worthless if I can't fly it.

Sunny9850
June 23rd, 2011, 17:33
Most of those you mention use a variation of the same control configuration proggie so while there may be nuances they all work basically the same. I think it was the bif tri jet Tupolev that had a detailed manual in English that covered the configuration proggie as well.But in principle you need to select the FS function you want to control from one scroll list, then you controller and one axis on that controller and then save that step. The saving is usually done by right clicking on a covered switch...which reveals a green click spot.As I am going through each function...throttle 1 , aileron, elevator etc I select the controller and axis and then wiggle it a bit to make sure it is the one I want.It is a bit of a pain occasionally but deleting the original panels also robs you of the chance to really fly something different. The FS friends in the east usually release some awesome creations that incorporate systems no western release seems to have. So if you like the 3d model I would highly recommend sticking with the original panel and systems and learning something new.CheersStefan